SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Geico - Covid discount but huge rate increase!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Geico - Covid discount but huge rate increase! Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been with Geico for 14 years now, and do enjoy a mil/veteran discount. I’ve only had 1 claim and that was more than 4 years ago. Had accident forgiveness and all that. Rates have always been reasonable for the level of coverage and customer service.

When the covid hit Geico announces a 15% giveback discount on the next renewal. Well that sounded great and they may have had me as a long term customer.

New policy starts and the rate is higher by about 18%. I ask Geico about the 15% giveback and they tell me that’s included.

Hmmm. So I have a 15% covid giveback kumbyah discount but overall rates up net 18% so that means the policy went up 33% (roughly speaking). Call back to Geico to be told rates for up so often especially in Florida. What a croc of bs the whole thing is.

Time to hunt for better insurance rates. Especially as I’m about to add a third car for my eldest child.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Insurance companies, they are pawns of the devil.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I called GEICO years ago for a quote and they were higher than State Farm. I asked the guy on the phone how the hell can that be possible since I wouldn’t even have a local agent with you guys. He didn’t have an answer.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Augen —- your location shows central Florida. If you’re any where near me I can introduce you to a GREAT independent agent.

She shops the market for me and finds the best deals for both auto and homeowner insurance.

She also shot the tightest group I have ever seen for a first-timer when I took her for her first range session. Smile

Use the email address in my profile if you would like me to introduce you to her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

And Geico is one of the worst.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

It's the other way around. The Devil works for them.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out why I need to insure more cars than I have drivers. I can only drive one at a time and so can my wife. Another rip off.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
GEICO used to be a great company. Now, in my experience, they are scum. Only Progressive is lower that comes to mind.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I hate the damn talking lizard. And why is he Aussie? Or British?
Between the lizard and Flo, they have managed to put me off both companies.
Cut the TV ad budget and give your customers a break!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Insurance policies no matter what they are for is in my thoughts as "Legalized Gambling " with the odds favoring the house. ............drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not legalized gambling. It is simple mathematics with the odds ALWAYS in their favor. No matter what happens they are making money.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Augen —- your location shows central Florida. If you’re any where near me I can introduce you to a GREAT independent agent.

She shops the market for me and finds the best deals for both auto and homeowner insurance.

She also shot the tightest group I have ever seen for a first-timer when I took her for her first range session. Smile

Use the email address in my profile if you would like me to introduce you to her.

Will do and thanks. I want to change home insurance as well (Allstate via castle key).

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Geico policy was set to renew 8/2/20. Got the same renewal BS. But mine went up more than 25%. Just spent some time online the other night and the best quote I got was from Esurance. Will check again and will definitely be cancelling with Geico. I only went to Geico a year ago after Progressive pulled the same thing after I had been with them almost 20 years.

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I change insurance companies like I change underwear.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was afraid insurance companies would pull something like this when I first started hearing about virus refunds since people weren't driving as much. Appear to be generous and offer discounts based on reduced driving and increase rates by an amount greater than the so called discounts. I'm with USAA for auto and Allstate for my motorcycles so I'll see if they pull the same stunt.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the odds didn't favor the insurance company, they'd be out of business, right? It's called PROFIT. Some companies are better than others. I got bids from an independent, and review it every year. I found LiMu charged about 800 less than Geico/Travelers on combined car/house insurance.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I've only been on the 'receiving' end of GEICO - twice folks with GEICO hit my car. GEICO was not fair or ethical in either of the claims. (The first time their in house attorney said 'take it or leave it" you won't sue of this amount. Well I suied and won.)

Sorry for the rant...
Insurance companies sometimes find themselves with too much exposure in a market. When that happens, they hike the rates. Given the storms on the East Coast, i'm not surprised to hear you have a huge rate increase.

As others have said, shop around.

I'd like to encourage you to file a formal complaint with the state insurance commissioner. Include a copy of the communication from GEICO. (Remember that will become a public document -- white out/block anything confidential that might be on the bill.) The Commissioner's office will verify that the rates you were quoted are withing the state's guidelines.

There have been a lot of postings on this forum about insurance companies. From memory, USAA and Amica are generally the top two in the Consumer Reports ratings - if that tidbit means anything. (I have hunting buddies that work/worked for CHUBB and Willis. All recommend USAA if you qualify. They say USAA is good on claims if you end up needing something. That said, no insurance company has a 100% satisfaction rating.)

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
wow. that sounds completely unreasonable. does geico provide other types of insurance that might explain this? for example, my insurance went up considerably recently. i called my agent about it and they said it’s because of all the payouts related to the huge fires in the state of late.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alyron:
My Geico policy was set to renew 8/2/20. Got the same renewal BS. But mine went up more than 25%. Just spent some time online the other night and the best quote I got was from Esurance. Will check again and will definitely be cancelling with Geico. I only went to Geico a year ago after Progressive pulled the same thing after I had been with them almost 20 years.

Did you get a quote from Allstate? Allstate purchased Esurance in 2011 and I've wondered if there is a significant difference in the rates between Allstate and Ensurance. Thought I'd ask.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised GEICO was able to keep you for 14 years. Weren't you paying attention?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post