SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Insane shipping costs for the common man.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insane shipping costs for the common man. Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted
I bought a MAXLINER 2nd Rear Seat Row Floor Liner for my pickup from Amazon back in May.
It didn't arrive on time and Amazon offered me a refund or said they would reship it.
I asked them to reship it because the item has free returns if I didn't like it.
Received the second one a week or so later, didn't like it, sent it back for free, and got my refund.

2 months later USPS delivers the first one that was 'lost'.
I contacted Amazon to return it and they told me to keep it.
They have done this before with smaller items.

But now I know why they told me to keep this item.

I offered it for sale on my Tundra forum.
I asked only for the price I thought it would take to ship it.

I had a buyer show interest and wanted a shipping estimate.
I thought since it got free shipping when I bought it, that it wouldn't be that much to ship.

Here is the shipping cost breakdown when I looked it up this morning.

Item is new in unopened box.
Box dimensions are 6 pounds, 36x28x6
Shipped from Dallas TX to Nevada City CA

USPS $82
UPS $70
FedEx $84

You can buy a new one from retail for $76 free shipping.

Anyway, I canceled the for sale thread.
I will just offer it locally for free.

I didn't want to make any money on something I didn't pay for, but I sure wasn't going to lose money on it.
I hate to just throw it away, but I will if no one wants to come and get it.

So just how do Amazon and other retailers not charge for shipping and returns, but we have to pay out the ass to ship something?
I understand Amazon has their own delivery and returns system for most items, but even items that they ship USPS and UPS get 'free' shipping and returns.
I also understand these companies do pay for 'free' shipping, but get MASSIVE discounts, at least from UPS.

That's 'my deal' on this Sunday morning...
Good day Sir..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The scores of companies etc. that offer free shipping get huge discounts from Fed Ex, UPS etc. But the crucify the everyday guy that wants to ship something. Thats how they are making up on the discounts they give the multi parcel shippers. Hey USPS what happened to the if it fits it ships??

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Problem is the size of the box. It's 44 lbs in dimensional weight. Industry standard for dimensional weight is LxWxH/139

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Problem is the size of the box. It's 44 lbs in dimensional weight. Industry standard for dimensional weight is LxWxH/139

That is understandable, this particular package is oversized.
Although I've had the same issue in the past with smaller packages.

These shipping companies want to ream the average Joe customer, but give huge discounts to corporate accounts.
Make $2 or $3 per package times hundreds of packages for corporate, but break it off in my ass to ship one item.

I've been employed with a World Wide Delivery Service for over 34 years.
I have somewhat of a feel on how it works.

No wonder USPS is going broke..

Being ths is the 'what's your deal' thread, it is 'my deal' of the day.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:

That is understandable, this particular package is oversized.
Although I've had the same issue in the past with smaller packages.

These shipping companies want to ream the average Joe customer, but give huge discounts to corporate accounts.
Make $2 or $3 per package times hundreds of packages for corporate, but break it off in my ass to ship one item.

I've been employed with a World Wide Delivery Service for over 34 years.
I have somewhat of a feel on how it works.

No wonder USPS is going broke..

Being ths is the 'what's your deal' thread, it is 'my deal' of the day.

No doubt the larger companies get huge discounts and surcharge reductions.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
Amazon told you to keep it because of the shipping cost to have it returned

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Usps just charged me $13 to mail $17 worth of the best beef jerky on the planet from Montana to Ohio on the slowest boat. Seems double what it should be.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily the same thing as OP's issue, but kinda in line with that: my buddy runs an intermodal transportation company. His company basically takes that truckload of widgets in cali and moves them to philly for whatever company, by rail or by truck, whatever is cheaper. He told me last week that whereas the usual cost to move said truckload was around $2500 bucks LA to Philadelphia by truck (which is more expensive than by rail), he had a guy call the other day and agree to book a railway trip for the same route for $4,900, and when my friend apologized that he couldn't do better, he was told that his rate was actually HALF of the 10K they wanted to move the same freight by truck. So it went from 2.5K to 10K on the same freight, in about a 3 week period. Crazy. And of course, that trickles down.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a little rubber grommet. $1.30. total cost with shipping.....$9.75. No choice either a very odd shaped grommet could not find anywhere here at home. I was screwed.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Not necessarily the same thing as OP's issue, but kinda in line with that: my buddy runs an intermodal transportation company. His company basically takes that truckload of widgets in cali and moves them to philly for whatever company, by rail or by truck, whatever is cheaper. He told me last week that whereas the usual cost to move said truckload was around $2500 bucks LA to Philadelphia by truck (which is more expensive than by rail), he had a guy call the other day and agree to book a railway trip for the same route for $4,900, and when my friend apologized that he couldn't do better, he was told that his rate was actually HALF of the 10K they wanted to move the same freight by truck. So it went from 2.5K to 10K on the same freight, in about a 3 week period. Crazy. And of course, that trickles down.

It's only going to get worse. Demand for logistics is at an all time high in all modes. I've worked in logistics 20 years and we've never seen anything like this. I've been warning everyone I can to buy Christmas presents now and send them to friends and family early. E-commerce companies are being warned to run sales earlier than Black Friday because things shipped after Thanksgiving may not get delivered before Christmas. Forecasts have been blown out 250-300%

posted Hide Post
I visited a UPS store yesterday with a small box. It was the smallest box that Walmart had on the shelf. Not heavy, nothing insanely valuable inside. They wanted 160 to ship it.

I went to the post office and paid sixty bucks, instead, needing it there by next wednesday.

Last week I sent a passport for a visa. I sent it overnight. It arrived yesterday, a week later. It only had to go across the state line. A fedex overnight letter...took one week. It boggles the mind. I could have driven it there in a few hours.

Freaking fedex.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
FedEx just announced they are going to raise their shipping rates for ground and home delivery.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Bastards got me too. I still have a set of nice tires in my garage with 1100 miles on them, that I can’t sell, because shipping is so got damn expensive. I shipped the wheels out already and it was so expensive I almost gave them away.

I get it. These massive, multi-national, corporations ship millions of tons of shit, but it sure sucks for the common man. Everything is so damn expensive these days. Can’t speak for everyone but my salary does not keep pace. I keep cutting this out, that out, not doing X, to somehow maintain. Eventually taxes and overall costs will get me.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
What ticks me off is USPS Priority Mail is within a nickel of Ground. Every single time I need to ship something I get a quote for both. Even if Priority is a nickel more, I take ground. They are usually perplexed by this. I ask why Ground is the same price. Shouldn't it be far cheaper?

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My box arrived today, on schedule, via USPS, in good shape. Fedex took a week to send an overnight envelope to the neighboring state. The box went for half the price quoted by UPS and FedEx, arrived in three business days, on schedule, tracked all the way, no problem. The box was shipped coast to coast.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post