SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Carpenter Ants
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carpenter Ants Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Been noticing some sawdust around the base of the support structures for the header over the garage doors. Finally bit the bullet and cut the sheathing off the bottom of the inside and found this:

Rutro...better call the pros. They were scheduled to show up today, so in my "Good Morning" post on another board I mentioned that I had Dale Gribble showing up to deal with my carpenter ants today:

Feller just left. You'll never guess the name embroidered on his shirt...

I didn't notice until just before he left as we were signing paperwork. He even resembled him a little bit. I almost lost it when the light came on.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15228 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The carpenter ants live in fear at my place.
Pileated Woodpecker.
Downside: He drums. A lot. Early.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's a whole lot of sawdust.

I currently have a war with mice in my garage. I got small traps. I got big traps. i got glue boards.

I have to set them out after I let the dogs in and put them away before letting the dogs out.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sawdust is called "frass". If you want to try to control them yourself, this place has some good products and info.

Posts: 701 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Dust them with boric acid-good for carpenter bees also. Easy way is a duster applicator that blows the powder into the holes and dead ants/bees or anything else. I know it works. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The carpenter ants live in fear at my place.
Pileated Woodpecker.
Downside: He drums. A lot. Early.

Jeez. Those birds sound like a forest drone on meth with an axe.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taurus sc

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
carpenter ants chewed up the side door to my garage. i removed it. burnedit. put on a metal door. they suck ( and eat!! )

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5297 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Whatever the pest control guy sprayed/dusted it with is working. I've been sweeping a carpet of dead ants off the floor every day for most of a week now.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15228 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I seem to recall that carpenter ants only eat wood that has already rotted. If that's true you may want to check for a water problem and make sure all the wood is good.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Whatever the pest control guy sprayed/dusted it with is working. I've been sweeping a carpet of dead ants off the floor every day for most of a week now.

Look at your invoice. It will tell you what he treated it with. If it shows a "Code", the back of the invoice will show exactly what the code refers to.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post