SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Where did all the trolls come from? When did people in this forum think their negative behavior was acceptable?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did all the trolls come from? When did people in this forum think their negative behavior was acceptable? Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thank you brother Bean! I noticed the same thing recently. There's discussion or even argument to challenge a position, which is a good thing, and there's being a dick. Dickishness appears to be on the rise.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've thought to myself that maybe my answer to some threads here have been too negative, mainly the automotive dealer/manufacturer threads and more recently the Tommy Gun thread in Mason's Rifle Room.

I've rat-packed the dealers mainly for the "new avenues" of profitability also known as flush services. Or dealers looking out for themselves and not the customers best interest. There has to be a middle ground.And the automakers for forcing brand loyal customers to buy what they want to build, not what the customer wants to drive.

In the Tommy Gun thread, I wanted to relate my experiences with the product. I did state that under the terms of the warranty I had no claim, this I knew going into the problem. I wanted to be fair to the company. But I also stated the problems I had, problems others have had and discussed in other forums to warn a potential purchaser of what they could face out of pocket to repair an expensive gun once the warranty is up.

Generally I try to be positive in my postings.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Thank you brother Bean! I noticed the same thing recently. There's discussion or even argument to challenge a position, which is a good thing, and there's being a dick. Dickishness appears to be on the rise.

Yeah. I just was a little bummed this morning. I just get sick of everyone acting like childish dicks.

quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Male dominated websites attract trolls and bullies. Automotive sites are as bad as firearms sites. It doesn't take long to recognize who enjoys being an obstinate ass. "Don't feed the trolls". Ignore them with the click of a button. It's their loss.

There are very generous and helpful people on this site, but some of them also fall into the category of being to negative.

Car forums are far worse. I was a moderator, then Admin of nicoclub, back in the days of the 240 dorifto/drifttaco/super drift whatever combined with Doritos and lots of trolling...

quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I stop and think about contributing to threads because of potential backlash. I try to always be respectful but have seen enough mudslinging to worry.

I wanted to reply in the Rush thread. Too much insensitive shit, and dickish behavior. I didn’t reply. Same reasons you stop and think.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is discussion, and then there is being a dick.

I tried to make that case. Few seemed interested.

I certainly can't do it by myself, but clearly there is a problem with "negative waves."

Outlook on life is a choice. Perspective is a choice. It doesn't mean don't be skeptical or critical.

Whatever though, you guys do what you like. Nobody listens to me.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
There is a distinct difference between being a dick and disagreements.
One can result in spirited debate, the other is a shitshow.
I have (unfortunately) been involved in both. The debate is more fun and more useful.

We are in an election year.
It will only become more heated because of the stakes involved. People are just that much more on edge. Doesn’t excuse bad behavior but don’t be surprised if it shows up.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I can say this behavior has made me sit on the sideline recently. No one wants to be pounded for expressing an honest opinion.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:...
Car forums are far worse. ....

The Technical Diving Forums(deep and cave diving) in the late 90's into the mid 2000's were crazy. You could get flamed for just about anything and most threads would go right in the toilet within the first 3 posts. They were hilarious, zero moderation!

I actually had to relearn my behavior when I moved into other forums, I was so used to mindset/behavior that I thought all forums were like that. It was like being raised by wolves then going to Harvard.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD:
I can say this behavior has made me sit on the sideline recently. No one wants to be pounded for expressing an honest opinion.

Yup. Not interested in being attacked. I do see that the members themselves will often step in and quell it, too, though, if it gets too far out of line.

I also agree with the poster that mentioned it was winter. People need to get out and get some sun and fresh air. Might help with the perspectives.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
and there's being a dick. Dickishness appears to be on the rise.

I'm offended. You say it like its a bad thing!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Silly me. I thought Arc would draw attention to the problem but it seems to have gotten worse.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
It’s like Group Therapy where people try but don’t always manage to control their symptoms. Big Grin

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
So... we all agree. But we aren’t doing anything to change the problem. I’m including myself, but we are like the guys who didn’t vote, but complain about who is in office.
I’m not saying we need to be vigilantes, because I don’t think that would work. But maybe if we stepped up and reminded people to stop being dicks and asshats, it may not be a bad thing. It may just possibly improve our community.

Where’s Para when we need him. That guy (said with the utmost respect) has more wisdom about this type of stuff. I would definitely appreciate his advice on how we can start to right the ship of dickism and asshattishness on the forum.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
It was like being raised by wolves then going to Harvard.

Umm …; is there a difference?

I know a woman who has an MBA from Harvard, and based on her descriptions of class life there, I’m not sure that being raised by wolves wouldn’t have promoted more genteel behavior.

Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:...I would definitely appreciate his advice on how we can start to right the ship of dickism and asshattishness on the forum.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
"I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good."

General Beringer

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm offended. You say it like its a bad thing!

Absent the blue pill, or a good stripper, dickishness on the rise is generally a negative. Big Grin

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I’ve been awake for all of an hour, and haven’t even finished my first coffee.

I have found the root of your problem.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been this way ever since people could hide behind a keyboard.
No accountability.
Personally, I don't care. People can say whatever they want to.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Yep, seeing it more and more here. I think I'm visiting less because of it.

Take this thread for instance:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7060093664

The man just asked what people were getting with their refund. Then the fuckers come out saying how they don't get refunds because they don't want to give the government an interest free loan. Shit. I'm surprised they didn't throw in some more pompous ass remarks such as how they only pay cash for everything from cars to homes to hookers. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Yep, seeing it more and more here. I think I'm visiting less because of it.

Take this thread for instance:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7060093664

The man just asked what people were getting with their refund. Then the fuckers come out saying how they don't get refunds because they don't want to give the government an interest free loan. Shit. I'm surprised they didn't throw in some more pompous ass remarks such as how they only pay cash for everything from cars to homes to hookers. Roll Eyes

I could tell how that thread was going to go when I read the title of it. It’s not just this forum because I’ve seen it plenty of other places.

That particular subject brings on more sneering, condescending replies than just about any other.

This place is still way more civilized than most, though.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post