SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Where did all the trolls come from? When did people in this forum think their negative behavior was acceptable?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did all the trolls come from? When did people in this forum think their negative behavior was acceptable? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bump:
Over time and more recently, there seems to be a trend I'll call "you will buy a glockitis."

This behavior is most prominently displayed in one particular thread, but it has crept into others. I'll leave you to guess which thread it has gone on in for years.

What I'm talking about, is the increasingly common occurrence of a member coming into a thread on a given topic to typically add a one sentence reply of "I don't like it, I don't care, I'm not going to do that," or similar terse statements and little more.

Guys, please take a moment, when you read the title and original post of a thread, as well as any responses to gauge the mood of that thread. There is an excellent chance that simply responding in the negative, is unnecessary. Not only unnecessary, but possibly coming across as sour grapes, mean spirited, or just Debbie Downer.

If you aren't interested in a topic, or simply don't like something, there is no need to post in that thread. Obviously, if the title of the thread is "What do you guys think of KelTec," then you can go in there and say you think they are trash. When you do that though, say why. A one sentence reply doesn't actually help the person who was asking for any opinions. The reason people do that is to learn of problems.

In the interest of letting people enjoy themselves, be a good neighbor and if you aren't interested in something or dislike it, move along. What you don't post is as important as what you do post. Unless the topic is "Who here hates Rap," it might be bad manners to go into a thread on that topic just to say you don't think it's music.

We all have enough human trash to wade through on any given day. Please think before you take a piss on someones thread. If it is any indication on how dumb it looks to go into a thread just to express a negative, there are hundreds of pages to read through of that very behavior.

Just like your Mom used to say, if you can't say something nice, not every party needs a pooper. Also keep in mind, that if you really don't like something, and you have posting rights, you can start a thread about it.

Arc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn’t bumping a 10 month old thread trolling behavior? In a forum where everyone seems to have an opinion on what’s ok and what isn’t, is necroposting now acceptable?

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Isn’t bumping a 10 month old thread trolling behavior? In a forum where everyone seems to have an opinion on what’s ok and what isn’t, is necroposting now acceptable?

Is the thread somehow suddenly relevant again? Then perhaps bumping the thread, instead of starting a brand new one, is called for.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yay!
In the thread about starting new threads without searching first to see if there are older ones addressing the same question or topic that could be resurrected, I pointed out that when someone resurrects an older thread, someone will inevitably complain about people resurrecting old threads. And two days, two hours, and one minute later: Confirmation!

I must be psychic … or something.

But FWIW, of the many things that I have seen officially and formally prohibited or discouraged here, reopening older threads has never been one of them. In fact, there used to be an automatic lock and then prune feature of threads here, but that was changed some time ago. One might think, therefore, that the forum owners do not object to reviving old threads. Or did I miss the memo?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I,too, wish certain forum members would be a little more mature. It is nowhere near what aRfDoTnet devolved into some years ago. But it started just as insideously, with members simply tolerating the asshats.
The point where I left and never went back there is when I couldn't read a single thread without it turning into a circle of little bitches. Got tired of throwing up my hands in discust and realized you just can't function in a disfunctional environment like that.

I hope that we keep this forum sane.
The Moderators have done a fantastic job here so far. Let's not drive them to distraction with childishness.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: USMCE4retired,

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't know about this thread but in the last threads that Bendable bumped which were on clickbait titles, he was spot on.

I'm thinking this one is too. Except, I did spend time searching for the Shakira thread then noticed it was months old then wondered why anyone would comment about behavior in a months old thread. So I read through the thread until now.

Maybe I should have gotten my cup of coffee first.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I pointed out that when someone resurrects an older thread, someone will inevitably complain about people resurrecting old threads. And two days later: Confirmation!"
by Sigfreund

I must be psychic … or something

I knew you would say that Big Grin

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/9660060564/p/1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Razz

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I must be psychic … or something.

History does not repeat, but it does rhyme. Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Well if he didn't, then he'd be admonished for not using the SF Search Feature to see if the subject already existed. Big Grin

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7830060874

Posts: 23241 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you you know what you guys problem is? You sound like a bunch of old women griping about stuff. Click bait titles. Don’t fucking open them. Problem solved. Ask the same question? Take your own advice and just move on. Guys arguing about stuff? Pick a side or ignore, problem solved.

This very thread is ironic as fuck. You guys complaining about behavior while completely ignoring that what you are complaining about is merely your own fucking opinion of what you find annoying. I think necroposting is a pain in the ass. You think it’s great. So who’s right? The correct answer is who gives a shit. Maybe you guys bitching about your personal gripes is annoying. Yet somehow if it bugs you guys it rises to some magical legitimate gripe. It doesn’t. Standing by to be flamed by all the ninnies who are convinced their way is right.

Btw, searching for a question on the forum and getting the answer through the search function isn’t the same as reviving a nearly year old thread (feb) to bitch. You guys are getting your bitches cross threaded. Plus, continually complaining about “click bait” titles and then starting a thread called “perverse posting” seems like a bit of a double standard don’t you think? Almost like the “rules” are for thee, not for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
I'll take .45 ACP over 9 mm for the increased stopping power, because shooting someone twice is silly. Razz 115 + 115 = 230. Razz And Col Cooper said so. Razz Also, anyone stupid enough to carry the antequated revolver deserves to lose the fight. Revolvers are silly too. Razz Did I mention pepperoni belongs on top of the cheese and not under it? Anyone who thinks otherwise should stick to eating calzones. Razz Razz

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^
Case(s) in point.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMCE4retired:
^^^
Case(s) in point.

Um...

The liberal sprinkling of smilies is a dead give-away Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
^^^
Case(s) in point.

Um...

The liberal sprinkling of smilies is a dead give-away Wink

Some people just don't get it.

Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^
Case(s) in point.

Seriously there, chief, you can't tell that was intended to be humorous?

posted Hide Post
Let's see. How can I respond without looking like a troll??? Maybe an indepth analysis of what I want to say, with a liberal sprinkling of smiling emoticons will clear up any misunderstanding...naugh! Something like that WOULD be trolling. I'll reply as kindly as I can.

Some people just don't get that I got it.
In fact, my response was meant as agreement with your sarcasm. I saw what you meant and tried to keep things from being too serious. Just like you did.
Perhaps symantics is the reason some of the posts are taken the wrong way and go off track.
I hope I haven't pissed you off further with this simple response. I have no ill feelings or contempt for you or your response.
Further more, I hope that your multiple biting replies were not meant to troll. That might get you recognised.

Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's see. How can I respond without looking like a troll??? Maybe an indepth analysis of what I want to say, with a liberal sprinkling of smiling emoticons will clear up any misunderstanding...naugh! Something like that WOULD be trolling. I'll reply as kindly as I can.

Some people just don't get that I got it.
In fact, my response was meant as agreement with your sarcasm. I saw what you meant and tried to keep things from being too serious. Just like you did.
Perhaps symantics is the reason some of the posts are taken the wrong way and go off track.
I hope I haven't pissed you off further with this simple response. I have no ill feelings or contempt for you or your response.
Further more, I hope that your multiple biting replies were not meant to troll. That might get you recognised.

Hmmm ... biting replies in response to your biting reply. OK then.

posted Hide Post
This is unbelieveable.
I will let the moderators take this under consideration. I will not be baited into a pissing match.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's everyone please try to be a bit nicer to each other.

I hereby relieve all involved parties from the need to respond in kind. No one here needs to defend their honor or be on the defense.

Any further intervention of this thread on my part will be far less cordial.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107256 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post