SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Where did all the trolls come from? When did people in this forum think their negative behavior was acceptable?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did all the trolls come from? When did people in this forum think their negative behavior was acceptable? Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
Looking at the Rush thread, Shakira thread, the Kobe thread...

When did it become acceptable to be a negative ass? I know Arc’s thread went in depth about this, but I’m looking at it from a different angle. When did we get so many unhappy people here? Why is threadcrapping an acceptable practice now?

This is my short rant. I’ve been awake for all of an hour, and haven’t even finished my first coffee. I open up the Rush thread and read a bunch of crap. So disappointing.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To a degree I concur. Somewhat. Some of those contrarians have made people actually think about their stated positions. Some don’t they are just being jackasses. I find that typically people tend to align with the first stated direction of a thread. Example time. My wife is on some women’s fb page and the shakira/jlo assfest came up. First person stated it was horribly inappropriate then a stream of similar comments until someone posted a dissent. Rational calm dissent. Then the tide turned. And back and forth it went. (My wife liked the show btw). Law of primacy stuff. Anyway, some dissent I think clears the mental pipe works. No need to be a dick about it though.

Of course, I’m in the minority that has no problem with click bait titles. I hate click bait of course but that’s because I want to know that famous actresses most embarrassing moment in the first page. Not 20 pages later and to discover she wore two different colored socks to her HS graduation. Here, it’s a click bait title I push one button and all is revealed. Big deal. But, thems the rules.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I agree with the need for differing opinions, without it, it this would be a boring discussion board.
But why do people feel the need to be dicks?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t be a dick is very good advice. Lol

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I’ve noticed the same thing. Lots of threads devolving quickly into shit shows. Members arguing and fighting about stuff that hardly matters. It’s very childish and I wish members of this forum would treat each other with respect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2Adefender,

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twitter life is infecting forum life.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winter.

Jim

Posts: 1348 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I've noticed this also. Although it may be mildly entertaining for a bit while waiting for the inevitable result it is disappointing.
And its not just new folks. Longtime members who frequently post can be just as guilty....
Last night had several examples.
I did note that the boss stepped in a short while ago to put an end to the bickering in the Rush thread. Its a shame he has to do this as I'm fairly sure he has better things to do than police the behavior of adults.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I e got a little over 10 years here and I’ve noticed it seems to go in cycles. We’re in a pissing match cycle right now. *shrug*

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You're a dick!
No I'm not
Yes you are.
Takes one to know one,
Screw you.
No, screw you.
#/%$÷ g%=#
Oh yeah, well #$%=@ *<_$#&
Sorry
Yeah, me too.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Banish thread chippiness dickishness! Big Grin

Amended as dickishness appears to be the favored term over acting chippy. Guess the later is better used when referencing thug behavior on the football field. Big Grin Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
There has to be a balance though. If we try to look at these thread’s as conversations over coffee or a beer, not everyone will agree.

That said, there is a time/place and if you are going to same something contrary to the intent of the thread, at least be courteous about it and have a point.

To add - one thing I appreciate about the members here I that when there is a sports/music/etc type thread and the OP specifically asks for members to keep the negative comments out of that particular thread, most folks are pretty good about that.

I always think about that for the Super Bowl and Master’s threads. If you hate those events, then begin your own “I Hate....X” thread and have a party just like those of us who enjoy the topics.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
It always feeds off of itself and snowballs. In most such threads you'll see the same people yucking it up and back-slapping one another. This only fuels the fire and gives incentive to behave in a manner such that if you did it in person you would be wearing your ass for a hat. The anonymity of the internet and the urging by others just perpetuates the mob mentality and misbehavior.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I've stayed out of a few threads lately because this behavior was already in full swing. To me one of the best things about this forum has always been the respectful disagreements. Lately it seems like some people feel that if you have a different opinion you are personally attacking them, their family, and all of their ancestors.

The worst are those who join the tread just to say that they don't care about the thread topic. Well news flash, either you really do care or you are just a troll trying to create hate and discontent.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
<snip> Lately it seems like some people feel that if you have a different opinion you are personally attacking them, their family, and all of their ancestors.<snip>

Big time agree. It’s rampant on Twitter and one of the reasons I come here. (To avoid that stuff)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I stop and think about contributing to threads because of potential backlash. I try to always be respectful but have seen enough mudslinging to worry.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat:
It always feeds off of itself and snowballs. In most such threads you'll see the same people yucking it up and back-slapping one another. This only fuels the fire and gives incentive to behave in a manner such that if you did it in person you would be wearing your ass for a hat. The anonymity of the internet and the urging by others just perpetuates the mob mentality and misbehavior.

Amen to that.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I posted a reply to the crotchtime thread and deleted it very shortly afterwards with the same mindset as the OP. If people are enjoying a thread and I disagree with most of them, it's probably just simply best to move along. What does it gain me to jump into a back-slapping festival and be the wet blanket? Not much.

I enjoy a hearty debate from time to time, and even sometimes more often than that. But I'm trying to temper the contrarian in myself. People get tired of the guy who can just about be counted to say "Oh yeah? Well..."

I find I do better in life when I keep my mouth shut unless I've got something positive to say. I'm de-programming myself from the abusive narcissistic alcoholic father that used to snipe and jab at absolutely everyone in his life, who has managed to absolutely run off every person in his life by his mid-60's. I used to want to be just like him. I'm on the off-ramp from that highway.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
So it's all about cheerleading an not about reality? Sometime reality can be pretty negative. Sometimes reality has to be faced.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Male dominated websites attract trolls and bullies. Automotive sites are as bad as firearms sites. It doesn't take long to recognize who enjoys being an obstinate ass. "Don't feed the trolls". Ignore them with the click of a button. It's their loss.

There are very generous and helpful people on this site, but some of them also fall into the category of being to negative.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post