SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Half of all people are below average"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Half of all people are below average" Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
And they all think they are fabulous drivers.
Of course I'm definitely an excellent driver.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
My Doctor introduced me to this when he said "Half the doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class. I was in the top half."

The individual who graduated last in his class is also called Doctor.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Woo! Ds get Degrees!

*Doctor Bluto chugs a beer bong of Natty Ice, then heads off to study for the medical board exam*

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Half of all people are below average intelligence.

...which is to say there are a lot of stupid people in this world, some of whom you may be acquainted with.

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Which "average" are we talking about --
  • Mean,
  • Median, or
  • Mode?

This. Mathematically, the average is the mean. But people who say "average" often really mean the median, which is the number in the middle of a set (half above, half below).

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Half of all people are below average intelligence.

...which is to say there are a lot of stupid people in this world, some of whom you may be acquainted with.

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

I love that movie Smile

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what I can see from where I am standing, everyone seems above average

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In some of my school work, we were graded on a curve... I could be stupider than I think I am, d'oh.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I work largely with engineers. I am always the dumbest guy in the room.

On paper.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half of all people are below average? I think you are giving "most" of the people far too much credit. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I think I get it. If the average = X and half are below X and half are above X, then X = the median!

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
I am working on being average in height.

I'm working on bringing up the average in weight.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Amazing how many times in response to this statement someone will weigh in with, "Oh, it's at least 80% that are below average".

That's actually possible, if the upper 20% of the sample are drastically higher than the rest. Take for example a series of five numbers:

1, 2, 3, 4, and 25

The average of these numbers is 7. Yet 80% of the numbers are below that average. This occurs because 25 is drastically higher than the other numbers, which skews the average upward.

Smile

I think whoever decided that, in ordinary English, that the mathematical words 'mean', 'median' and 'mode' can all be called the 'average' should be forced to derive Fermat's Last Theorem in an Taiwanese disco.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Amazing how many times in response to this statement someone will weigh in with, "Oh, it's at least 80% that are below average".
That's actually possible, if the upper 20% of the sample are drastically higher than the rest. Take for example a series of five numbers:

1, 2, 3, 4, and 25

The average of these numbers is 7. Yet 80% of the numbers are below that average. This occurs because 25 is drastically higher than the other numbers, which skews the average upward.
I think whoever decided that, in ordinary English, that the mathematical words 'mean', 'median' and 'mode' can all be called the 'average' should be forced to derive Fermat's Last Theorem in an Taiwanese disco.
Once again, which "average?"

The mean is 7.

The median is 3.

The mode? There really isn't one in this set of numbers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Those examples with a small number of members and a non-normal distribution are technically true, but not valid to the title of this thread.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
half of all people are below the median, not the average (mean.)

which has probably already been pointed out by some above average posters ahead of me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
As a cop, I was constantly amazed by people who outwardly appeared to be smart and successful, but were in fact quite stupid. That, combined with a lack of common sense often resulted in disaster.

I had an MD who'd hit a deer with his car ask me if the deer was dead. I just looked at him and after a second or two said "Aren't you supposed to know more about this than me?"

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
If the total population of the USA were to be decreased by half, the remaining half would be all of them.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
What this thread needs.

This describes a person where I work. I referred to him in an earlier post as being lucky breathing is an involuntary action.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post