"Half of all people are below average"

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/4220050724

July 10, 2017, 07:01 AM
V-Tail
"Half of all people are below average"
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
And they all think they are fabulous drivers.
Of course I'm definitely an excellent driver.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
July 10, 2017, 09:21 AM
95flhr
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
My Doctor introduced me to this when he said "Half the doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class. I was in the top half."

The individual who graduated last in his class is also called Doctor.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart
July 10, 2017, 09:41 AM
RogueJSK
Woo! Ds get Degrees!

*Doctor Bluto chugs a beer bong of Natty Ice, then heads off to study for the medical board exam*
July 10, 2017, 09:50 AM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Half of all people are below average intelligence.

...which is to say there are a lot of stupid people in this world, some of whom you may be acquainted with.

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
July 10, 2017, 10:26 AM
jaaron11
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Which "average" are we talking about --
  • Mean,
  • Median, or
  • Mode?

This. Mathematically, the average is the mean. But people who say "average" often really mean the median, which is the number in the middle of a set (half above, half below).

J

Rak Chazak Amats
July 10, 2017, 11:02 AM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
Half of all people are below average intelligence.

...which is to say there are a lot of stupid people in this world, some of whom you may be acquainted with.

As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

I love that movie Smile

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
July 10, 2017, 01:56 PM
bendable
what I can see from where I am standing, everyone seems above average

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
July 10, 2017, 05:25 PM
mindustrial
In some of my school work, we were graded on a curve... I could be stupider than I think I am, d'oh.
July 10, 2017, 07:07 PM
Jager
I work largely with engineers. I am always the dumbest guy in the room.

On paper.
July 10, 2017, 07:22 PM
Graniteguy
Half of all people are below average? I think you are giving "most" of the people far too much credit. Big Grin
July 10, 2017, 08:57 PM
mikeyspizza
I think I get it. If the average = X and half are below X and half are above X, then X = the median!
July 10, 2017, 10:30 PM
BRL
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
I am working on being average in height.

I'm working on bringing up the average in weight.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

July 11, 2017, 06:50 AM
joel9507
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Amazing how many times in response to this statement someone will weigh in with, "Oh, it's at least 80% that are below average".

That's actually possible, if the upper 20% of the sample are drastically higher than the rest. Take for example a series of five numbers:

1, 2, 3, 4, and 25

The average of these numbers is 7. Yet 80% of the numbers are below that average. This occurs because 25 is drastically higher than the other numbers, which skews the average upward.

Smile

I think whoever decided that, in ordinary English, that the mathematical words 'mean', 'median' and 'mode' can all be called the 'average' should be forced to derive Fermat's Last Theorem in an Taiwanese disco.
July 11, 2017, 08:37 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Amazing how many times in response to this statement someone will weigh in with, "Oh, it's at least 80% that are below average".
That's actually possible, if the upper 20% of the sample are drastically higher than the rest. Take for example a series of five numbers:

1, 2, 3, 4, and 25

The average of these numbers is 7. Yet 80% of the numbers are below that average. This occurs because 25 is drastically higher than the other numbers, which skews the average upward.
I think whoever decided that, in ordinary English, that the mathematical words 'mean', 'median' and 'mode' can all be called the 'average' should be forced to derive Fermat's Last Theorem in an Taiwanese disco.
Once again, which "average?"

The mean is 7.

The median is 3.

The mode? There really isn't one in this set of numbers.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
July 11, 2017, 01:16 PM
Nuclear
Those examples with a small number of members and a non-normal distribution are technically true, but not valid to the title of this thread.
July 11, 2017, 01:33 PM
YellowJacket
half of all people are below the median, not the average (mean.)

which has probably already been pointed out by some above average posters ahead of me.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
July 11, 2017, 02:52 PM
P210
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
As a cop, I was constantly amazed by people who outwardly appeared to be smart and successful, but were in fact quite stupid. That, combined with a lack of common sense often resulted in disaster.

I had an MD who'd hit a deer with his car ask me if the deer was dead. I just looked at him and after a second or two said "Aren't you supposed to know more about this than me?"
July 13, 2017, 05:47 AM
tacfoley
If the total population of the USA were to be decreased by half, the remaining half would be all of them.

tac
July 13, 2017, 07:37 AM
Patrick-SP2022
quote:
"Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Smile

July 13, 2017, 05:45 PM
Floyd D. Barber
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
What this thread needs.

This describes a person where I work. I referred to him in an earlier post as being lucky breathing is an involuntary action.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member