SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This rental property is a black hole.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This rental property is a black hole. Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
"Stare into the abyss long enough, and it starts to stare back at you." This house is the abyss, and the tenant's standing at the door, staring out at me. :/

The floor in the front room started sinking. The contractor opened it up, and found this:

There's some new wood where we did a repair previously, but EVERYTHING else is rotted out. I shudder to think what the labor cost on the repair is going to be...

At least I was able to snag some of the hardwood floor planks they pulled out of the room.

There's a lot more where that came from; I should go back to pick up some more. I have to go by tomorrow to look over the work before the floor guys come back anyway.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Did the tenant cause that damage? If so, will you re-coup you money?

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
My guys pulled out the floor. Im afraid I'm footing the bill on this one.

Back in 2015 the tenant complained that the floor was sinking in the center of the room. We cut open the floor, and jacked up the joists that fell. At the time, the crossbeams that we'd exposed looked aged, but otherwise in pretty decent shape. The hardwood floor guys came in, and wove new wood in, stained and sealed it.

Fast forward to last December. Tenant calls, and says the floor is warping, and it's getting hard to shut the front door.

I go out and look at it, and sure enough, it's warped from moisture. We put 2 dehumidifier sin the room to try and dry the floor out, so as to avoid pulling up the floor unnecessarily. (At this point we didn't have any idea it was so bad.) That worked, but the floor started sinking again. When we shined a light down in the crawl space it looked like the floor lumber the contractors used last time to level the floor had gotten knocked askew somehow, so that's what I thought we were dealing with. We finally got everyone's schedules aligned to get the workers out there to cut open the floor to repair it, and once they started cutting, they just kept going and going as more and more rotten subfloor and joists were discovered.

It's all rotted out. We can't figure out where the water came from, though. The dirt in the crawl space is dry as a bone.

On the bright side, my tenant loves me. Said I'm the best landlord she's ever had because I don't like quick fixes over proper fixes.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you solve the problem and not just treat the symptoms this time. Need to find out what is causing the rotting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20803 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I know what you are talking about

Except mine is not a rental but the family homestead built in the 20s. I need to get down there and button it back up.

Is that a boarded up fireplace in the picture?? That very well could be your culprit for water entry.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Yes it is, and yes, that's what I've been thinking (either the chimney or the roof around it, though the latter would have evidence elsewhere). I'll be asking about that when I go back today to check on the repair to the subfloor.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Just to mention- we had another rental back in the 90's that developed floor rot and it traced back to where the side porch was attached. They had aligned two seams of wood right at the foundation sill joint and attached porch directly to wall. Water was running off the porch inside the wall and along the sill and flooring.
That one was a joy to fix...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Yes it is, and yes, that's what I've been thinking (either the chimney or the roof around it, though the latter would have evidence elsewhere). I'll be asking about that when I go back today to check on the repair to the subfloor.

Yep. Make sure the chimney is capped and the flashing is done properly. Good luck with all of that. How about a composite joist to avoid a repeat 5-10 years from now? If the dirt is dry, there's no drainage problem - only a cumulative soaking one.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
The contractor used pressure treated lumber. Should give us quite a bit more time. Bid came in for the floor repair, too. Eek It's not unreasonably expensive, just expensive.

This lady is going to drive me up a wall. She calls me up yesterday: "Are you going to put the brick back in front of the fireplace?"

No. The fireplace is sealed off, anyway.

"I want to eventually unseal it."

No, you're not. You may be (slowly) making preparations to buy the house, but as long as my name is on the deed that's not going to happen. The fireplace doesn't have a bottom, anyway, so any attempt you make at building a fire will roll directly underneath the floor I just agreed to spend gobs of money on to repair.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The fireplace doesn't have a bottom, anyway, so any attempt you make at building a fire will roll directly underneath the floor

Sounds like you should open the fireplace, pile up some wood outside and hope for a cold snap! Wink

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Maybe the renter did what I did years ago. Set up the waterbed in the bedroom with wood floors, put the hose in it and went and laid down on the couch. I woke up an endetermined amount of time later with at least an inch of water on the floor and the bed was swollen up like the hippo-dome. I'm surprised the wood floors didn't warp more than they did. I'm really glade the bed didn't end up in the basement. Eek

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Do you have a moisture barrier between the dirt and the wood? Can't see anything in the photos.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
There was one between the floor and subfloor everywhere except the one spot where I had a similar repair done on a far less reaching scale a few years ago (for some reason, the hardwood floor guys decided to skip that step). The black sheets on the slats in the front room are what they hadn't yet taken up when I was there Saturday.

They've dropped off the wood already to let it acclimate before they start laying it. They're supposed to be starting work Saturday, so I'm planning on checking in Saturday afternoon. I know to raise holy hell if they don't put it down this time.

posted Hide Post
You'll hate me for suggesting this but you should really consider opening up the wall near that chimney. Doesn't have to be large holes but they do need to be large enough you can see if you have an issue with that wall being as rotted as that floor.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post