SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Call from work at 0500.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Call from work at 0500. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Since retirement I am allowed by my pension system to work only 25 hours a week for any job that has a State pension system. I work as a substitute teacher in a high school vocational district.
This week I had been scheduled for 3.5 days at 7 hours per day. If I work 4 days in a week it's not a big deal unless I do that for more than 1 month straight. Sunday, I get booked, Thursday I can't work due to the schedule, and Friday is my half day which really doesn't pay to work a half day but I do try to work with them when they are in a jam if it is a school close by. This morning at 0500 the sub caller calls and asks if I want to work as a gym teacher today. I say yes, but that means I can't work the half day Friday. (They know the rules the pension board goes by, several of us are under the restriction), yet they can't look at a spread sheet and see I'm booked for the week? So on my day off I'm now awake and get to work around the house since once I'm awake I can't get back to sleep. I know this isn't the end of the world but heck, look at your book and let me sleep on my day off.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised this hasn't happened to you more often. When my wife substituted we'd get early morning calls on days she was already scheduled.

Based on our experience, the person that schedules will never take the time to check their book for a possible conflict. Your name probably came up next on the list. They are just dialing to find a someone to cover the class.

Does your phone have a do not disturb function?

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Shit, unless you are broke as fuck, that isn't even worth the hassle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can, turn your phone off at night. We have a land line only the kids have the number to. We shut off the cells, and haven't gotten a call in over a year. When the land line rings, it usually means a grandkid is sick and we need to baby sit while they work.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
After posting this, I apologize as this was whining and not a rant. My beef was I couldn't work, they knew I couldn't but were too lazy to see I was blocked out.
I do get calls a lot at 0500 to work for that day, most of my work gets scheduled and given to me on Sunday.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Shit, unless you are broke as fuck, that isn't even worth the hassle.

Not broke, but having a daughter getting ready for 10 years of college and a son in trade school it helps me not dip into savings. I tried staying home after I retired, too boring. My wife still has to stay another 18 months to get full pension and medical. Then we sell and get out of this communist state.
But you are right, it is not worth the hassle anymore. After summer break I am going to find a full time job. I'm going to Europe this summer and don't want a job until we go and the kids are back to college.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
Yeah makes sense. Kelly temps does that in our area. If you are having trouble finding a teaching position it gives you a leg up in hiring.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
After the military I worked as a sub. Mostly to find the district and school I wanted to work at. What I didn’t realize was the amazing demand for substitutes. Over time I made friends with the ladies that ran the sub lines
One day the phone rings and, half asleep I answer it. One of the ladies snaps “Your late! You need to be at Truman right now.” I’m halfway t9 the shower and apologizing. Then.
“Wait a minutes. This is July. There’s no school!”
She replied: “ I know but the alternative school really needs some help and I was sure you’d agree. Besides, you’re awake now.”

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
After the military I worked as a sub. Mostly to find the district and school I wanted to work at. What I didn’t realize was the amazing demand for substitutes. Over time I made friends with the ladies that ran the sub lines
One day the phone rings and, half asleep I answer it. One of the ladies snaps “Your late! You need to be at Truman right now.” I’m halfway t9 the shower and apologizing. Then.
“Wait a minutes. This is July. There’s no school!”
She replied: “ I know but the alternative school really needs some help and I was sure you’d agree. Besides, you’re awake now.”

The only school we have running in summer is the Jail (JDC). So far in the 3 years I have been with the district they haven't called me to work in the summer. Our sub caller definitely goes by seniority. I have teachers ask for me all the time only to be told someone else is on the list before me. If they put it in writing a few weeks before they take a day off I usually get the job. I need a knee replacement, probably a hip, and have a bad back. At 66 subbing is a way to get some cash and not abuse the old body.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
Used to be on several substitute call lists with different local districts. Did a lot of subbing for several years.

It felt SO GOOD to answer the phone and say “No, can’t make it today”, then roll over and go back to sleep.

Didn’t do that often but boy it felt good.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Used to be on several substitute call lists with different local districts. Did a lot of subbing for several years.

It felt SO GOOD to answer the phone and say “No, can’t make it today”, then roll over and go back to sleep.

Didn’t do that often but boy it felt good.

This entire year our district has had signs all over the county saying "substitutes needed". They hired a lot, but most are north of me where I don't take much work as it too far in time, gas, and tolls. In my area we picked up a few and it means I have less days work as they want to keep the new hires and give them work before a group of us that have been there for a few years. I have no qualms doing what you said, "no, I can't make it today" and go back to sleep.

Living the Dream

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
In my 33 years of employment with my current employer, I've had calls like that.
From calling me on Thanksgiving Day at noon asking if I wanted to go to Baltimore (I'm in Dallas), to calling me to come in to work, when I'm already at work.. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post