August 07, 2020, 02:14 PM
airsoft guy
FB friend says Atomic bombing Japan non-combatants was immoral
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
He said on social media.
I don't consider SIGforum "Social Media". And when it comes right down to it, I believe you think that as well.

But it is social media. SigForum is a website where individuals can create and share content and ideas, we network here. What else would you call it?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
August 07, 2020, 02:56 PM
just1tym
To clarify, I was thinking about his comment of arguing with his FB friend for hours of postings. Honestly my comment was more referring to the time spent arguing over social media posts. These days for these reasons I don't enroll in these type social medias is that honestly I just don't have the mental endurance to argue on the internet thru my computer. His comment I envisioned sounded like a lot of time arguing in posts, sounds too frustrating for me.

Yea I'd agree that Sigforum is a form of social media, but it's also home for me, and so many others here. I've never met with those frustrations of hours of arguing in posts. Over the years, it does and will happen from time to time just because everybody has an opinion and certainly may not agree with mine, nor would I expect them. But we do have a lot in common, and always seem to move on regardless. I just limit my exposure to social media, and my experience here in Sigforum over the years has been very rewarding and have made many good friends.

I should have better explained my comment.

Regards, Will G.
August 07, 2020, 05:35 PM
CoolRich59
quote:
But it is social media. SigForum is a website where individuals can create and share content and ideas, we network here. What else would you call it?

Not to derail this thread, but Sigforum is not social media.

Firt and foremost, social media platforms make big money harvesting and selling your personal information. That is not happening here.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant
August 07, 2020, 07:07 PM
Shotgun Zeke
Wrong, at least according to Merriam Webster... maybe I should start a thread on that topic too. Smile

Merriam Webster's Definition: social media - forms of electronic communication (such as websites for social networking and microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (such as videos)

No mention of harvesting user info or turning a profit.

quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

Not to derail this thread, but Sigforum is not social media.

Firt and foremost, social media platforms make big money harvesting and selling your personal information. That is not happening here.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor
August 07, 2020, 07:16 PM
ZSMICHAEL
I would defer to the owner of this forum for an opinion. I suppose moderated forum without ads would be an apt description.
August 07, 2020, 07:46 PM
parabellum
quote:
What else would you call it?
Manna from Heaven, baby cakes.
August 07, 2020, 10:47 PM
airsoft guy
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I would defer to the owner of this forum for an opinion. I suppose moderated forum without ads would be an apt description.

I drive a 2001 Chevy Blazer, it's still an automobile, like my mother's Jeep, girlfriend's Pontiac, coworker's Cruze, and my neighbor's whatever. Being more specific about the kind of vehicle doesn't make it any less of one, and neither does getting specific about the kind of social media make SigForum any less of one.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
August 07, 2020, 10:50 PM
parabellum
airsoft guy, you're right, of course.

Then again, you're wrong.

You know what I'm saying. You're anything but a dummy.

Oh, and BTW- I get the impression you don't care for the host here. Call me crazy. Just a feeling.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
August 07, 2020, 11:04 PM
rtquig
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Facebook idiots used to piss me off.

Until I deleted my Facebook.

I thought I would miss it.

I do not.

Highly recommend.

I did the exact thing for the same reasons. I don't miss it at all.

Living the Dream
August 07, 2020, 11:13 PM
Edmond
It took 2 atomic bombs to pacify them. Anything less and they'd still be fighting. They still wanted to fight.

Your friend is a moron. If he's so guilt ridden, he should move to Japan and live there.

America is a country so great that even the people here who hate this great country, I refuse to call them Americans, refuse to leave.

August 07, 2020, 11:14 PM
rtquig
Tell you FaceBook friend he is an Idiot.
War in itself is immoral. Tell this FB friend to read in depth about the war in the Pacific. How the Japanese let loose the Plague from airplanes over China to kill as many civilians and military as possible. While a sad thing to drop the Atomic Bombs, it was clearly the right thing to do. Once you declare war on a country, you no longer have the right to tell then what said country can do to bring the war to a conclusion.

Living the Dream
August 07, 2020, 11:19 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
It took 2 atomic bombs to pacify them. Anything less and they'd still be fighting. They still wanted to fight.
For whatever reason, some members of the Japanese high command felt that the US had only the one bomb. Once we hit Nagasaki, they realized they were wrong and at that point, they were unsure of how many we had. At the time, we had only those two, but the second shot sowed enough doubt, and that was that.

For all they knew, we were going to hit a new target every few days. That wasn't going to happen, at least not right away, but they didn't know this.
August 08, 2020, 12:38 AM
Edmond
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
For whatever reason, some members of the Japanese high command felt that the US had only the one bomb. Once we hit Nagasaki, they realized they were wrong and at that point, they were unsure of how many we had. At the time, we had only those two, but the second shot sowed enough doubt, and that was that.

For all they knew, we were going to hit a new target every few days. That wasn't going to happen, at least not right away, but they didn't know this.

2nd bomb was dropped on 9 August but Japan did not surrender until 15 August. I hope they were extremely paranoid whenever planes flew overhead. It took them 6 days to finally quit.

I wonder if we had not defeated them in such a manner, if Japan would have turned into the manufacturing country it did with cars and electronics. If we had defeated them by conventional means, I wonder how the course of that country would have turned out. I believe the Soviets were going to invade from the north and that would have absolutely created a North Japan and a South Japan likely suffering the same fate that Korea does to this day.

The Japanese were absolutely brutal during WWII. Their punishment was minor compared to the war criminals in Europe. Why their chain of command and rulers weren't hung is beyond me. But their war crimes often get overlooked for some reason.

August 08, 2020, 01:56 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

They realized they were in a “dry fucked” situation and that realization saved many many lives on both sides.... my dad (rest his soul) survived Europe...but would he survived Japan ???...I’m posting so I don’t know...it was in God’s hands.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
August 08, 2020, 02:19 AM
sigmonkey
Those who made the decision and those that carried it out, certainly did not revel in the thing, but knew, with depth of pain, what it meant to do what needed to be done.

I know this, because I have looked in the eyes of my people, that both knew and stood the ground that took the action to bring the end to that war.

And no one, ever, will convince me that it was not the right, moral and prudent thing to do.

I will also spend any and all breath I have, that my grandchildren, understand it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
August 08, 2020, 10:06 AM
tleo205
quote:
Why their chain of command and rulers weren't hung is beyond me. But their war crimes often get overlooked for some reason.

Tojo and several others were hanged but Macarthur convinced Washington to spare Hirohito because of his symbolic importance to the Japanese people and felt it would make de-militarization and rebuilding go easier.
August 08, 2020, 12:46 PM
dan03833
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
Tell your friend to try peddling his theory in China, Korea and the Philippines. Roll Eyes

My wife is from the Philippines, her grandfather fought along side American forces on Corigidor. He also survived the Bataan Death March. Older people there have really poor memories of the Japanese.
August 08, 2020, 02:02 PM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
quote:
Why their chain of command and rulers weren't hung is beyond me. But their war crimes often get overlooked for some reason.

Tojo and several others were hanged...

I read this many years ago and need to read it again. The Other Nuremberg: The Untold Story of the Tokyo War Crimes Trials.

https://www.amazon.com/Other-N...+%2Caps%2C200&sr=1-1

Here are two more I have not read:

Victors' Justice: Tokyo War Crimes Trial.

https://www.amazon.com/Victors...e%2Caps%2C210&sr=1-1

Yamashita's Ghost: War Crimes, MacArthur's Justice, and Command Accountability (Modern War Studies

https://www.amazon.com/Yamashi...15086&s=books&sr=1-2
August 08, 2020, 03:39 PM
elkhunter
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Maybe your "friend" exists because the bombs were dropped. You really should waste no more mental energy on these guilt ridden virtue signaling morons.

This times about a gazillion!

But what else can we expect? A survey some time ago revealed that a surprising number of COLLEGE STUDENTS thought we were fighting German and France in WW2.
August 08, 2020, 03:44 PM
elkhunter
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Or the treatment of Allied POWs. Just watched a documentary from 2001 about the real Bridge on the River Kwai - hosted by Roger Mudd and narrated by Edward Woodward. When the truth is told and the facts are known, it's incredible to believe that any survived at all.

A number of years ago we had a neighbor man who had been in Japanese prison camp for all of WW2. As I recall, he told me that he weighed less than 80 lbs when he was was set free at the end of the war.

Told me that they were reduced to eating bugs. Those little hooks on the legs of some of the crickets and grasshoppers would make their mouths bleed.

He died an early death due to the abuse he suffered.