SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Loud Yawning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loud Yawning Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
My first world problem for December.

Please learn how to yawn quietly. Whether on the plane, in the waiting room or in line at the store, cover your mouth and leave the vocal cords out of the process.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Volume enhanced sneezes are also pretty annoying.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

You guys do realize there might be a natural range between the folks with a barely audible "ph" to others who for unknown reasons just sometimes sneeze with tremendous pressure and, unavoidably, noise?

I'm closer to the loud end of that spectrum when I do occasionally sneeze and I promise you there is nothing "enhanced" about it. I don't even know what that means or how one would achieve it.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

You guys do realize there might be a natural range between the folks with a barely audible "ph" to others who for unknown reasons just sometimes sneeze with tremendous pressure and, unavoidably, noise?

I'm closer to the loud end of that spectrum when I do occasionally sneeze and I promise you there is nothing "enhanced" about it. I don't even know what that means or how one would achieve it.....

I'm one of those too. My sneezes are ridiculously powerful. If I try to bite them back, I literally see stars, and it makes my entire body shoot with pain for 20 seconds or so.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
quote:

I'm one of those too. My sneezes are ridiculously powerful. If I try to bite them back, I literally see stars, and it makes my entire body shoot with pain for 20 seconds or so.

I agree as I am a loud sneezer too. Just don’t vocalize the yawns.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Geez, there's a guy where I used to work that had "enhanced" sneezes. It was quite startling.

quote:

I don't know about MNSIG, but I'm referring to those who seem to feel the need to turn a sneeze into a truncated YELL or LOUD BARK/YELP.

I'd be sitting there, mind deep in solving some problem or coding something up, and there he'd go, half startling me out of my chair.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:I'm closer to the loud end of that spectrum when I do occasionally sneeze and I promise you there is nothing "enhanced" about it. I don't even know what that means or how one would achieve it.....

There are those that engage the vocal cords for a definite "Ahhh-chooo" beyond the expulsion of air that is natural.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:I'm closer to the loud end of that spectrum when I do occasionally sneeze and I promise you there is nothing "enhanced" about it. I don't even know what that means or how one would achieve it.....

There are those that engage the vocal cords for a definite "Ahhh-chooo" beyond the expulsion of air that is natural.

Some take it even further, with a loud "AAAHHHH-CHOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE". I used to work with a guy like that. Drove me bonkers.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
My yawns are massive/righteous, though infrequent.

Sneezes, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I ran into a loud yawner recently at the laundromat. The only other person in there at the time besides myself, and he had to be annoying.

I am also a loud sneezer, always three to five at a time with vocal accompaniment. All this talk about this reminded me of an early Roseanne episode where the titular character had a neighbor whose sneezes sounded like "ptt-CHEE." Roseanne remarked, "God, even her sneezes are uptight!" Big Grin

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
How many people yawned just reading this thread?

I did...

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
How many people yawned just reading this thread?

I did...

Raises hand... Thanks a lot, OP!

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Could be worse, could be one of those that shit's themselves with a sneeze! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Some people have very thin skin.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
quote:

Some take it even further, with a loud "AAAHHHH-CHOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE". I used to work with a guy like that. Drove me bonkers.

I'll count myself lucky to have never run across that. I'd have to be in the "enhanced" camp then too. Crazy.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
MIL yawns loud and long. Repeatedly. It has that special MIL effect on me.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about loud farting?

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
What about loud farting?

The sound ain't so bad . . . it's the smell. At least with sound you know what follows.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
My yawns are massive/righteous, though infrequent.

Sneezes, too.

Yes, and if it bothers someone, that's really their problem. Not mine. There's other, way more meaningful things to get your panties twisted over.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3477 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post