SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    eBay "buyers" may not be the actual buyer (edited with more clarity and new info)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

eBay "buyers" may not be the actual buyer (edited with more clarity and new info) Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I fell victim to a false buyer message on the eBay message system, and had to have the USPS try to intercept a package headed to a scammer. FYI the USPS was NOT able to stop the package being delivered to the miscreant, and eBay can chastise him however they want to. Meanwhile, I filled out the FBI form and will make a local police report tomorrow.

If you sell on eBay, slow down, and really think through all the messages you are getting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I fell victim to a false buyer message, and had to have the USPS intercept a package headed to a scammer. FYI the USPS was able to stop the package being delivered to the miscreant, and eBay can chastise him however they want to. Meanwhile, I'm out additional shipping costs to get a helmet to the correct buyer.

If you sell on eBay, slow down, and really think through all the messages you are getting.

Maybe I missed it, but how did this happen?

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Multiple messages that were well-written and lied. One true buyer. One scammer.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I nearly fell victim to one of those scammers a few years ago.

Nikon replaced my D600 under the oil spot recall with a new in box D610. I sold it as new-in-box on ebay to kickstart funding for the planned replacement (D750) for about $1500.

Within 5 hours it sold. The buyer (with a shipping address in CT if I remember) immediately tried to pull conversation off of ebay onto text (with a FL area code), then I got an email from "ebay" (with a header from someplace hilariously not ebay) saying they're holding my payment in escrow until the buyer gets the stuff and tried to get me to go to a Fedex store and mail it to a place in TX.

My bullshit meter pegged so hard my coworkers felt it so I got on the phone with ebay CS, who deleted the sale and banned that buyer.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t seem like this should be a problem if you follow ebays buy/sell process. Never ship anything to anywhere other than what’s listed on EBay

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
Doesn’t seem like this should be a problem if you follow ebays buy/sell process. Never ship anything to anywhere other than what’s listed on EBay

yep

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:

yep

Yep. Or the PayPal account that paid for the item, if paid that way.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post