SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I got a phone call. Now I'm sad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got a phone call. Now I'm sad Login/Join 
posted
My neighbour just phoned me. He taught me reloading and has been into guns since the 50's. War vet in his 80's now I believe.

Super nice, generous guy. Hilarious guy.

Well his health has been bad for years now. He just phoned to say his breathing isn't going well right now and he doesn't think he's going to be around a while. So he asked me to come get all his reloading gear and his ammo.

I am sitting here staring at the wall with a tear in my eyes thinking about how much I fucking hate the fact that people go.

I kept telling him you know doctors, you could hang on forever, but he has COPD and was coughing like I never heard. So I am going by Friday and I feel like shit. I honestly don't even want the gear as I don't have room or reload but I don't want it to go to waste and he wants me to have it all.

I hate the idea of people aging and dying. I honestly never learned how to deal with it.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like he's made his peace with the end of his life, however much time he has left, and having you take his reloading gear is a burden removed from him. It's good you are there to help him with this, and I'm sure he appreciates your helping him prepare in his own way. I know I would.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Death defines life. Without an end, our lives would go on forever and we, as individuals and as masses, could accomplish anything.

Your friend knows his life is about to be defined. Cry because he's gone, not because of how you feel.

Celebrate because of where he'll be, not because of the physical void he leaves behind.

Look at the material stuff he leaves behind as his "goodbye gift" to the people around him, not for the monetary value it represents.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
Sad indeed, and agree you should go, and spend time with him, and be grateful, and oblige his wish please.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
This is the right thing.

Tell him "he matters" to you.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cry you eyes out if it helps, in private if that helps. Or don't cry at all just grieve. Never forget him and use what he taught you as positive testament to his life and its impact on you.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Thankfully tell him you will hang on to his stuff for him. And you appreciate his friendship.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I wish I had the words others have so eloquently expressed in this thread.
Your heart is in the right place. Go be with him. Cherish his gifts and his friendship.
Be grateful you can tell him while he’s alive how important he is to you and what a worthwhile man you think he is.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's very sad to see. My next door neighbor is a retired Publix bakery manager. Was type II diabetic, now I believe type I in the past year. He is AWESOME and his wife is very nice. We hang out all of the time, BS, etc. I'd say he's late 70's.......in the past year, he has aged 10 years.....and it's really sad to see....physically the change is very fast.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Take those gifts from your friend .
I am in that place like your friend and my kids have no interest in my hobby
Cherish his offering and give him piece.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Go as soon as you can. Be honored you earned a place in his heart to think of you to leave his reloading equipment behind.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Agree with the comments above - be honored he wants the items to go to you. Once the pain of losing a friend passes, think about reloading - it's really a great hobby. Maybe someone from the SigForum can swing by and help you get set up.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The human condition really is heartbreaking...great advise in this thread!

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for telling us. As mentioned, others have said much better than I could at this point. I would feel grateful I meant something to him as well. I would also quickly tender to his request knowing that you are lifting one of his burdens from him as he clearly wanted you to have it.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Be honored that your friend wants to pass on to you something that he obviously enjoyed and cherished.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could find a way to preserve and cherish his reloading equipment. One day you may pass it on. Preserve his legacy and story. That's a great way to honor his friendship.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NMPinNYC:
Sad indeed, and agree you should go, and spend time with him, and be grateful, and oblige his wish please.

Reminds me of when my best friend was dying of cancer. We spent a lot of time sitting on his front porch just being together. Often not saying anything just silently communing. The hot radiation they were using to treat his cancer was burning badly. Most of his head was already black from the radiation.

He asked me what he should do about his situation. Told him I could not tell him what to do, but could tell him what I would do, how I would deal with it.

Told him I would stop the radiation treatment as it was not helping and in fact was doing more damage than the cancer. He did. About 10 days later he died in his sleep. I miss him, a lot.

I am sad thinking about him. Hope to see him again some day.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
The tragedy of life is not death but what things we let die inside of us while we live.

A philosophy I now hold to with each year closer I step. I wish him peace. He wishes you to have a part of his life that you might remember him.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very dear friend of mine passed away recently . Sometimes we would go for months without talking and then one day one of us would call the other one and all was well . We had a long dry spell and I called him and we had a good chat . Two weeks later his wife sent me a text telling me of his passing . I'm so glad I was moved to call him .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It's all part of getting older as well as part of life.

I shoot with a bunch of retired people every week. Once a week with one bunch and once a week with another bunch.

In the past 4 years we've lost 4 guys and 1 woman. The woman was run over by a 17 year old kid who was probably texting while driving and the others died from natural causes.

I'm getting tired of attending wakes, but it's better than the alternative.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post