SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Divorce sucks
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Divorce sucks Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

It sucks, but it'll be better in the long run. I'm significantly happier now that I was a year or two ago.

^ I agree with this..

Sorry to hear rainman64.
May be hard to realize now, but there will be a time you will be glad it is over.
It is a blessing no kids are involved.

Just don't date for awhile.
Always remember what you've been through and don't repeat it.
You now know what the signs are.

I was divorced for 14 years before I married to my current wife.
My second and last, no matter what.

In those 14 yeas I had 2 3 year relationships with bipolar women.
One of those ended up being a functional alcoholic.
I stayed in these relationships WAY too long.

Yep I knew how to pick 'em, but it was more like they picked me.
Like I had a sign on my forehead that read "I'm an enabling fool that thinks they can help you".

I finally broke that habit of wanting, or thinking I needed, to fix someone.

I learned from my mistakes and now have a somewhat normal wife.. Big Grin

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
That sucks man. I've been there and have the merit badge myself.

It gets easier with some time and usually, in the long run, it is better and you will recognize it. I wonder all the time why in the hell i didn't do it sooner, and in my case, she was the one who initiated the thing, although i finished it.

Most days, I want to send her flowers for giving me the kick in the pants to get off my ass and get rid of her.

You only get one life, and there is no sense in being unhappy during it. I didn't know HOW unhappy i was until i was free from her.

Keep your chin up. You're sail through it just fine.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
While divorce does suck, in my experience laying in bed next to someone feeling like the loneliest person on earth is far worse. Divorce doesn’t make anyone happy but it makes them eligible to find it and hope obviously beats despair.

Good luck to you and, trust me, you’ll look back on this as a good thing before you know it.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
You have my sympathies for enduring through such a difficult transition.

I am glad to see you posting again rainman.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this Rainman. You did your best and it sounds like it was above and beyond. I hope you end up in a better place and happier in the end.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
You only get one life, and there is no sense in being unhappy during it. I didn't know HOW unhappy i was until i was free from her.

Same, brother.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I have good days, I have lows. We are still talking but like others said, I just don't know which woman I am talking to as 5 live in her head.
Some days she still loves me, some days are venom and vitriol.

Unconditional love for someone sucks.
I should have pulled out my mirror and signaled the F16's 2 years ago.

Posts: 5027 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

Same, brother.

Amen. 19 years of ever increasing misery.

I'm sorry you have to go through it; I hope it's over quickly; I hope you recover well.

Good luck, meant in the best possible way!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Divorced this year as well after 19 years of frustration. I really tried hard to honor my vows but the reality is that I was the only one doing so and it was making me absolutely miserable.
Just so you know you're not alone.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
So sorry rainman. One thing is certain, you can not have a successful marriage with only one person working at it.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Just for reference:
A 2015 study by the American Sociological Association found that women initiate two-thirds of all divorces, a staggering 69% to be exact. College-educated women initiate divorce at an even higher rate: 90%.

Posts: 5027 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It hurts, but there is life after divorce. In 2003 while deployed to Afghanistan I received the 21st Century Dear John e-Mail vs. a letter from my wife informing me that She filed for divorce - less than 3 weeks of being in country. A testament to her character. Our friends told me that I did everything I could to make it work and that in the end I will be better off than her. My Mom put it best: “Son, it’s not about what you lost, it’s about what you gained.” She was right, I am remarried with a son, and “living the dream”. You’ll be fine, once you get past the shock and pain. Best to you throughout this holiday season.

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. I am divorced almost 6 years. There are things that will always suck about it. Most of my continued pain has to do with kids and keeping that relationship close. You are lucky to not have to deal with that.

All I can say is it gets better with time. 3 years ago I was very lonely and not really in the best place. Fast forward to now and I'm with an awesome woman, getting married again. Take some time to be alone and get your mind in order. Learn to be happy with life without anyone. Do things by yourself. The rest will fall in place but not until you are comfortable being alone.

ETA: Like quitting smoking, there are stages of divorce and feelings that change over time. Feel free to reach out if you need to talk to someone that's been in the same place as you. Email in profile. If you are feeling alone/isolated, stressed, dealing with crazy ex stuff, whatever, feel free to email.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry you had to endure this.
Sometimes no matter what you do, it's not enough.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm getting a bit personal here but someone was there for me so I'll relate my experience...

I truly thought the sun would not ever come up again after my divorce. I was heart broken, defeated, ashamed and depressed. The first divorce in the history for my entire family... She was my high school sweetheart, dated 3 years then married for six, I saw to it she didn't have to work, bought a house and her a car but I spent every day of those six years fighting to make it work and tiptoeing around her. She just never grew up and she rationed sex like it was running out. Then one day I overheard her tell another man she loved him... Ok, you get what you want now. I'm done, your ass is gone.

BEST move I ever made! I was her first, but she had 4 more husbands, the longest lasted one month, one lasted just 3 days!

THEN,

About a month after my divorce a friend introduced me to a girl he had been on one date with but he just didn't click with... 3 months later I married her! Two kids, one stepdaughter, 8 grand kids, two great grand kids and 41 years and counting later we are both now retired and life is good. Oh, and the sex... Wherever, whenever, even still Big Grin

Everything happens for a reason brother... Move on, hang in there.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What many of you are calling bipolar, and may have been misdiagnosed as such, is really borderline and/or histrionic personality disorder. Bipolars cycle between mania and depression, but the cycles are slow, and it's a true neurochemical disorder. Bipolars can be medicated to reduce the extremes.

Day to day emotional chaos with love/hate and constant drama is different and the hallmark of borderline/histrionic personality disorders, or female narcissism which is similar. As personality disorders, they cannot be medicated.

Men need to learn to identify these disorders and avoid getting enmeshed with these women. They are very hard to get away from and they can wreck all kinds of havoc during breakups and divorce - false accusations of abuse or sexual abuse of your children, restraining orders, scorched earth legal tactics, defamation, you name it.

You do not have unconditional love for these women, you have codependency.

I met my ex wife in college, we dated two years, and were married for 20. She lied so much in the last half of the marriage I really don't know what to believe or not, I just know what she admitted to, and what evidence I have to corroborate some of it (and refute some of it) which makes me wonder about the first 10 years.

By the time we got to the divorce, it was easy because we'd burned out every chance at reconciliation. Meanwhile about 2 years earlier I started a new job with a lot of international travel, met a lot of people, including some very good female friends (yes friends) who were very supportive through the divorce. Helps to have a woman to talk to that helps you see how messed up your ex is...

That was 7 years ago, and it's been an interesting ride since then. I've got to date women I never would have dreamed of being with before. Still haven't found the right one yet, but you know what? It's not a need. I can do what I want, buy what I want, and don't have to answer to anyone. Amd I've got road stories that my friends can't believe.

Get out of the rut, do something different, date girls way younger than you, have fun. Just don't knock anyone up and don't "need" to be in a relationship or get married.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read this brother. Best wishes.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear this. It definately sounds like it's her and not you. Look forward to the future. Being a bachelor and not having to conform to someone else's crazy standards and being able to do what you want to do, when you want to do it is quite satisfying. Look to the future and all of the bucket list items you've been wanting to do and focus on those.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Being married to someone with mental illness is difficult, especially when they do not want to try and take care of themselves. After 16 years of trying to cope I finally got it done and escaped.

She moved away and I have found someone that truly understands what marriage should be. I regret having wasted so much of my life and I am trying to make the best of what I have left, thankfully I have a partner that is making it so easy to enjoy life.

Being free of someone with mental illness is very liberating and such a burden lifted.

Posts: 1358 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear this Rainman. I know it has to hurt like mad, but I do agree with the others that not having children will reduce long term complications. Take care of you for a while, and wait for better days ahead, amigo.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post