SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I am a whiny little girl
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am a whiny little girl Login/Join 
posted
I shouldn’t post when I am angry. I don’t really hate cats. I am just frustrated with them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gambit123,

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My guess is you won't make many friends here with that attitude.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
Over the last year I have came to the realization i hate cats. I use to love them but now I can’t stand to be around them. We have had our new house for about a year now and they have torn shit all up. New furniture, paint and carpet all toast. My wife acts like she doesn’t give a shit. All she keeps talking about is catifing the house. Whatever the hell that means. I should have just stayed in the shit hole we called home before moving here.

Wow. At the risk of believing you’re not trolling: It’s sad that your house is getting trashed. How many do you have? Are you guys working on training them what is acceptable and what isn’t (it’s not as though they’re stupid and can’t learn)? Are you just sitting back being passive aggressive angry or you are you getting involved in making sure your new shit doesn’t sustain more damage? I hope you’re able to talk to your wife and come to some agreement (maybe learn what she means be catifying is instead of just blowing it out your ear) and see if you can throw in some behavior modification with it. Pay for the carpet to be cleaned, and repaint the walls- I don’t know what the furniture damage is, but maybe you have repair options...try a fresh start and limit their space to a room or two and build from that until they learn what’s allowed.
I get how destructive they can be- I have a Bengal- but that means I also know they can be trained- she is not allowed on countertops or tables, and is pretty respectful of that, but I do have to watch her, and limit her space when I’m not home (one floor limit). I wish you the best of luck, and hope you and your wife figure this out together.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
catifying

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/cIO8uQ77Q-Q

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Ph_hRFPhIeE

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yeah, so I wouldn’t go that far, lol. There’s a happy medium in here somewhere, I hope. I know my sis feels the same way about her husband’s cats. It can be pretty frustrating if you’re not both on the same page.

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
I am just frustrated and had to vent. I should probably take my panties off now.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Is there a disease that makes humans love cats?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
"Used to love them?" I'm thinkin' probably not. Cats are somewhat trainable, and you can "catify" your home--to a degree, but, if you have cats you're going to have some degree of damage. That's just the way it is with cats. If you really love cats you accept it and move on.

It's really little different with dogs. Just different damage.

I'm sure there are cat/dog owners w/o damage in home or yard. Those people are unicorns Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Don't be so hard on yourself. I'd be pissed too if my cats were ruing stuff. So far they've only damaged our couch (which was a couple of grand). They don't claw it, they just run over it and snag it along their way. Not even ruined, just snags I can cut the strings off any you'd have to look very hard to see it.

I cut and file my cats nails every other weekend to keep them from damaging stuff, me, or each other. Takes a bit of training and starting young is a big plus, but I trained my ex's seven year old to let me do it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's not the cats, it's your wife/you.

You two need to clean y'all's "litter box".

-captainobviousmonkey

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I don’t like cats either. We have an outdoor cat we feed every night.

We are dog people, we have 3 of them. Doubt we will ever get an indoor cat.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when Para owned the other Forum, I think I posted there about my neighbors and their Yeller Cat, Bis'kit (their spelling, not mine). But, maybe it was after Para left, just don't remember.

They'd been foreclosed out of their home next to us and left taking their dog, all their cats but one, Bis'kit. They just abandoned him, saying he was too mean.

I had to, one night, break into their former home to let him out, he'd somehow gotten in, no food or water, and was sitting in the window meowing for help.

He was very shy and distrusting but we fed him twice a day at our garage door. Once in a while, he'd slip into the garage and look around, but would run out whenever we came close to him. He hid in the street drain and stayed there for some four years. We fed him, but he would not let us do anything else.

We lost two dogs over that time to cancer and then, got a new puppy, a small Llasa. The wife took puppy for a walk every day and we found the cat was waiting for them outside the house at the right time, would walk with them to the corner, stop there and wait for them to come back, then walk back to the house with them.

Puppy, her name is PC, loved that cat and the cat seemed to love PC. So, we took a chance and while feeding him, my wife reached down, picked him up and brought him into the house.

My wife got a few scratches, but the cat settled down and the next day it was off to the vet. The vet said he was about 12 years old and remarkably healthy, no heart worms detected. No other diseases, and we got him all the shots and meds he needed.

He lived with us for some four and a half years, and never, ever ventured outside even when he had the chance and never, ever destroyed or damaged anything. He did get sick once and urinated on the love seat covers, but the dry cleaners saved the day for us.

I, of course, was allergic to cats, but he was so good it was hard not to hold him and pet him, so, allergies or not....

A couple of years ago he started having pain and we took him for tests at the vet (we'd taken him every year for a check up). This time the vet came back in with tears in her eyes and told us Bis'kit had a huge cancer and there was absolutely nothing she could do.

So we held him, loved on him, told him goodbye and stayed while the doc put him to sleep.

Before Bis'kit, I thought I hated cats. I was wrong.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I think that your rant is legit, but will also concur with suggestions for cat behavior modification. I do not and will not own a cat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mr kablammo,

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thx for sharing yer Bis'kit.

Now let me dry my eyes.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Imagine living with a cockatoo.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
As usual, Monkey cut to the heart of it without rambling on like I did.
I totally hear you, Bob. I, too, was not a cat lover, and still don’t consider myself one. I didn’t realize how much our cat had become part of my daily fabric of life til she died (22y). Then I noticed a huge emptiness in our home (huge to me- my husband, to whom the cat belonged, didn’t seem fazed at all).
Mars, I remember having to putty some door frames at our last apt because our grey also happened to be an excellent escape artist, and we’d catch him working on the woodwork! Talk about destructive- still with us, though, lol.

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
Our cats were tearing up the carpet and furniture. The wife put scratch pads all over the house plus a couple of scratch posts in strategic areas. Problem completely solved.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Imagine living with a cockatoo.

yea, cats are great compared to a cockatoo. we had to vacuum with a shop-vac

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
gambit, don't apologize to anyone for the way you feel or the opinions you hold.

There can be consequences for your opinions, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have those opinions. For example, if you had said in your post that because of the damage cats have caused to your home, you wanted to kill those cats, I would tell you to keep such things to yourself and to not post them here. However this doesn't invalidate your feelings. All it would mean is that I don't want to have such things said in my house.

John Wayne always said "Never apologize. It's a sure sign of weakness." With all due respect to the Duke, no, that's not true. Actually, any man who never apologizes for anything is showing weakness.

Aplogizing for the wrong things (such as your beliefs and opinions); apologizing to the wrong people; apologizing profusely when a simple "I apologize" is warranted; apologizing merely to appease others or apologizing falsely to gain some sort of advantage for yourself- these are things you should not do.
If, however, your apology is sincere and you feel that it's warranted, then not doing so at the appropriate time and in the appropriate way is a sign of weakness or excessive pride (which in itself is a form of weakness)

But, man, if you're speaking from the heart and you are confident of your position, and others do not like it, that's their problem, not yours.

FWIW

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Our dog ate a hole in the carpet. Down through the pad and all. Only stopped when he hit plywood. I was plenty pissed...then he did it two more times. This is in a house we built barely two years ago. I love dogs, but I was royally pissed at this one. He was a puppy and loosing teeth at the time, so he doesn’t do that anymore, but I’m still not happy about it.

I love that dog, but he sure did piss me the hell off by eating my friggin’ flooring. I still give him the stink eye if he starts to sniff at the carpet.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post