SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Newspaper subscription does not reduce ads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newspaper subscription does not reduce ads Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
To gain access to the local paper a subscription is required. The trial rate is only 1 $/month. There I find more ads than any other news site, blocking the view of the content, and requiring X out to facilitate the reading.

The stories featured are social justice. Basic news is not. As an example a story of a person helping COVID-19 patients focuses on the person’s sexual identity and preferences. What is the real story?

No longer subscribing.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Newspapers are a joke anymore. 7-8 pages and nothing but liberal crap. As are most TV news programs.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
The internet has killed them. Advertising revenues have to be in the tank. It is a regretful thing. Small town papers doing stories on local things will soon have all but disappeared.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
They're just failing. And as they fail, their finances go to the tank. They seek money from anywhere. Most of us grew up reading the "paper". Many commercial sites are just that, a platform for commercials. Even gun sites aren't immune. For example go visit Para's other former site and try to read a thread. Hint: you can't. Even he says its a mess. Content is covered with all kinds of ads. The media isn't immune from the search for dollars. They seem to have no interest in the prospective reader, just the next deposit from the advertisers.

But they are protected by the constitution. See how well that works for our 2nd. I even tried to go over to the S&W forum yesterday. Like here, good posters with knowledge. But so many ads its just unreadable. I have the time to close them, but then another pops in its place. So I backed out. Oh, I might go back at some point, but only to read a specific thread and get frustrated by the crap.

Papers hold their own destiny. But they're squandering it in their rush to liberalness. This is America, and part of freedom is the freedom to be stupid. Or to run off interested viewers with stupid crap. Goes for the media as well as special interest fora.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
To gain access to the local paper a subscription is required. The trial rate is only 1 $/month. There I find more ads than any other news site, blocking the view of the content, and requiring X out to facilitate the reading.

The stories featured are social justice. Basic news is not. As an example a story of a person helping COVID-19 patients focuses on the person’s sexual identity and preferences. What is the real story?

No longer subscribing.

I'm assuming you're referring to an online subscription? Not sure what part of VA you're in, but we subscribe to the Washington Times print version. Doesn't have all those irritating things you mentioned, plus solid news and editorials. Great paper.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WSJ online subscription has no ads. Enjoy reading it daily for actual news and thoughtful opinion.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local newspaper stopped delivering on Saturday earlier this year. Price didn't go down - now the renewal came for Dad, and it went up about $80 per six months.

They keep emailing him to move over to viewing it online. The problem is that Dad, who gets the paper, has never used a computer - I tried showing him the app on an iPad, but he wasn't really understanding that method. He likes reading the paper. The papers are making it difficult for two groups of readers - the indigent and the older. Dad falls under the latter group - he is 102. He would cancel the subscription if I told him how much it is now costing (over $100 a month for six days a week and the printed TV guide).

While Dad might have an email address, he doesn't actually read email - I have those to manage his subscriptions and such. I'd write the new editor of the newspaper if I thought it would make a difference.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
WSJ online subscription has no ads. Enjoy reading it daily for actual news and thoughtful opinion.

THIS!
I got a subscription for $4/mo for a year and have really enjoyed it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
When I cancelled our subscription, the lady asked me why. I told her exactly why. Then she said those are the reasons she cancelled her subscription.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not just newspapers. Years past on my cable companies internet browser, every 4-5 news clips an ad would appear. So cost goes up yet the ads have gotten worse. Now there is an ad between every single news blip. Many times the ads are 2-3 times longer than the news clip. It had gotten to the point where unless it is something really important, I don't even watch the clips anymore, just takes too long with all the ads.

It is a paid service, why all the ads? I can see the free sites doing it as they have to pay the bills somehow. I should get some benefit from paying, like Pandora and like sites, you pay and the ads go away.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post