SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Buyers who expect you to deliver to them
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buyers who expect you to deliver to them Login/Join 
posted
Over the last 15yrs I’ve sold a fair amount of guitars, guns and other things through the internet and I’m seeing more people asking me to not just meet halfway but to literally drive to their freaking home. When I’m looking for something I immediately look at the location and if it’s too far I forget about it. I would never ask someone to bring an item to me. Some people will ask even after I’ve came down on the price. If you want something you go and get it, the classifieds are not amazon prime!

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about people who say they will buy an item and think you will ship it before they pay for it. Yeah I was born last night !

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was giving away a pile of records before I moved to Arizona. Vinyl records that had been well played. Ad was on craigslist.

Only person to respond was a fellow, said he would take them and wanted me to deliver to him, some 50 miles away.

Uh, NO. They are for FREE to you. He whined about that.

I delivered records to local Goodwill.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
I purchased a very large and heavy pair of used premium loudspeakers (AR9-LSi) at a very low price many years back from Craig's List. The seller wisely offered to deliver them for a reasonable fee in his advert. Since I was some 50 miles away I took him up on the offer. I think in some circumstances that you might find that strategy profitable if convenient to you, and it might possibly preclude the aggravations offered by some of the financially able but low IQ buyers!

Smile

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I drove two hundred miles round trip to pick up a Ebay auction that I had won. Better for all parties concerned.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
When we sell puppies we specifically state local deliveries only. If someone wants us to deliver one any distance beyond 10 miles we charge a minimum of $50 depending on the distance.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swani:
How about people who say they will buy an item and think you will ship it before they pay for it. Yeah I was born last night !
I have been on both ends of this, with SIGforum members: buy (or sell) something. The trusting buyer sends the item and says, "Try it. If it works for you, send money. If it doesn't work for you, ship it back."

I have never been burned by a SIGforum member when I have done this as a seller, nor have I ever burned anybody when I was on the buying end of an offer like this.

But then again, most SIGforum folks are pretty special.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I drove two hundred miles round trip to pick up a Ebay auction that I had won. Better for all parties concerned.

Same here...all the way to Vermont from Virginia for a Bolens lawn tractor.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I was giving away a pile of records before I moved to Arizona. Vinyl records that had been well played. Ad was on craigslist.

Only person to respond was a fellow, said he would take them and wanted me to deliver to him, some 50 miles away.

I used to try and give stuff away to people that actuallt needed it as opposed to Goodwill and have had some real winners:

1) Giving awat several bags of good quality, name brand girls clothes and a woman got mad at me because I wouldnt deliever and hour away.

2) Giving away a large wall unti/entertainment center and someone expected me to completely disassmble it so it would fit in their samll car

I now dontate to the fog shelter thrift store, far less stressful

Uh, NO. They are for FREE to you. He whined about that.

I delivered records to local Goodwill.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I bought a gun online, in state, via person to person transaction. Told the guy when I would be there, got his address, and his phone number, told him I was on my way.

I drove 175 miles to his house (I really wanted the gun), and he says sorry, I just sold it 5 minutes ago to another guy that got here before you did. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!! 350 miles round trip to be bitch slapped by some idiot. I complained heavily on the internet board it was on, and to his credit, he gave me $150 for my time and fuel. Idiot.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I have been on both ends of this, with SIGforum members: buy (or sell) something. The trusting buyer sends the item and says, "Try it. If it works for you, send money. If it doesn't work for you, ship it back."

I have never been burned by a SIGforum member when I have done this as a seller, nor have I ever burned anybody when I was on the buying end of an offer like this.

But then again, most SIGforum folks are pretty special.

I generally state USPS money order only when selling. However, based on an assessment of the buyer (forum history/participation), I will accept a personal check if asked, and I will pre-ship the item, usually as a surprise. The last sale I did the buyer had the merchandise one day before I got the check. Smile

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The reverse can be said also. I would never pay someone for goods before they shipped, unless I knew up front that they were very trustworthy.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I was just giving away 50+ photography magazines. Had two contacts, first wanted them delivered 30 miles away - Uh, NO. Second was a young girl wanted to meet 2 miles away, Uh, Yes.

I always have "free stuff" and it amazes me the hoops folks want you to go through.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I sold a NOS transmission, Pressure plate and bearing to a guy from Brooklyn. (spare trans for the truck in my avatar). We agreed on $900. I was willing to drive it to Brooklyn, but he said let's meet half way in Staten Island and he has cash. Worked out good for both of us. We talked about our trucks, mine is a 1953 and his is a 1955. Now I want to sell the winch I have that runs off the PTO.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post