SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tailgating me won't make me drive faster...
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tailgating me won't make me drive faster... Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If you are in the left (passing) lane impeding others, you need to move over.

If it's a single lane road, then by all means, do the speed limit or 2-6 mph over if you like. The customary speed travelled on almost every road in America is 3-5 over. But if you want to do the speed limit, then by god, that's your right. But if the speed limit is 40, and you are doing 32, then don't be surprised if I ride your ass, or introduce you to mr. Bird and his four friends. 32 mph in a 40 mph speed zone is 13 mph slower than customary speed, and yeah, most people get pissed and have a problem with that.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
On the interstate, I typically ride in the left lane at about speed limit +8 or so. HOWEVER, I watch my mirrors religiously and if I see I'm getting overtaken, I'll move over and let people around. It's not hard to do. I'll even speed up to clear a vehicle so I can get over quicker, so the overtaking vehicle doesn't have to slow down.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Why do people assume that closing the distance on my rear bumper will in some way motivate me to drive faster? I feel if I can read the county number on your plates, or can't see your plates at all, you are probably too fucking close for your or my safety. Asshat...

My car is underpowered and gets lousy mileage. I therefore do not try to leave from a stop like I'm at National Trails or drive in excess of the posted limit. I'm sorry if this offends you, but that does not give you free reign to camp 5 feet from my bumper.

I feel your pain. My wife and son both own Corollas. Nice cars, but in Arkansas, we have this certain large redneck population who drive the biggest, tallest, widest, and most improperly mufflered pickups they can fit on the highway, and they tailgate like they own the highways. These ass clowns are dangerous, irresponsible, rude, and they will kill you and your family in a second if they get the chance.

I have a couple of strategies for dealing with them. Sometimes, On 2 lane roads, I just hit the blinker and abruptly pull over onto the right shoulder. Sometimes, if it a straightaway, I signal left, pull into the oncoming lane as if I'm going to turn left, and then left them go by. When they pass, I tailgate their asses for a minute before backing off. It's like that move in Top Gun when Maverick throttles back and the "MiG flies right by," except with Corollas. These guys think I'm a maniac and that I'm dangerous, which is exactly what I want them to think. Maybe they won't do it to the next person. I don't advocate this for everyone, but for me, I'm 49, and I've had my fill of these morons.

You're FAR more likely to be tailgated when you drive a small car, that's for sure.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post