SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This is how my Township says we can reduce our taxes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is how my Township says we can reduce our taxes Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I know NJ taxes are silly expensive.
Around here a $7,800 tax bill would put me on about 80 acres, a 3-4K square foot house dependent upon amenities, and a pretty decent out building.
Sadly that will never happen.

I am going to guess their debit card is not even close to the 5% cash back I get with my Amazon Prime credit card.

Sad thing is a large portion of your local population will actually believe their taxes are lower.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
$7,800 a year.

Yikes!

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
" help you reduce your property tax bill each year."

Sounds good to me... eventually you will not have to pay any taxes if they are reduced each year....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Does anyone really think politicians will lower taxes if they receive this extra money?
At best they will find some extra “need” to spend it on.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Moving out of NJ was the best way to reduce property taxes for me.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My wife has to work 2 more year until retirement which will get her a very nice pension and full medical for all of us. I found a nice home in Georgia, 3 acres surrounded by a friends property. The house is well within our range but would mean we would still have to afford living here and have the house in Georgia which would include the taxes and utilities. I want to buy now while it is still available but she doesn't want to stretch our finances too thin for 2 years.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
When I left New Jersey almost 20 years ago my taxes on my house were $3600.00 a year. We owned a one and a half story cape that was around 1300 sq feet. It had 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom with a finished basement.
My taxes on my house in Florida are $650.00 a year. It is only 1000 sq feet but it is a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house.
I figure my taxes in New Jersey would have more than doubled by now on my old house.
Taxes in the north east are getting to the point that people just can't afford to live there especially after they retire.
Unfortunately a lot of the people from the north east are moving to Florida and bringing their political ideologies with them.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
I'm missing what you are pissed about? If I read it correctly they are offering a rebate credit card. Instead of getting airline miles, hotel stays, or cash back you get your reward in the form of tax credits. What is to be angry about? IF the cashback from Lacy is good use it, if Costco, Discover, or Delta beats it use their reward cards.

This is why he is pissed.

“...new program that will help you reduce your property tax bill each year.”

It’s not reducing anything, but will make people think their taxes are lower than they really are. Then the govt can creep them up even more, because the taxpayers won’t be directly feeling the impact.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, as read it, it is just an alternate cash back CC where your rewards are going to taxes instead of cash back, airline miles, or Costco gift certificate.

I got married this year and put the whole thing on my Costco card, then paid it off the following month. I will be getting a very nice Costco voucher this year for doing that. If I had available one of those county cards and the rebate was equal to or competitive with Costco CC I would have used the county one and received a nice sized check from my mortgage company for the overpayment of escrow. To me cash > voucher or miles. I could then take that check and buy anything I want instead of having to use it for stuff from Costco or flights with Delta, namely my kitchen remodel.

It appears to just be an added option in your arsenal of rebate CCs. I like options, especially ones that lead to cash instead of miles.

The operative word here is "reduce." The politician is saying they are reducing your tax bill, when they are simply directing rewards towards an existing bill, which can then go up even more without opposition. Whether you pay with cash or rewards, the bill hasn't been reduced one bit.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm missing what you are pissed about? If I read it correctly they are offering a rebate credit card. Instead of getting airline miles, hotel stays, or cash back you get your reward in the form of tax credits. What is to be angry about? IF the cashback from Lacy is good use it, if Costco, Discover, or Delta beats it use their reward cards.

This is why he is pissed.

“...new program that will help you reduce your property tax bill each year.”

It’s not reducing anything, but will make people think their taxes are lower than they really are. Then the govt can creep them up even more, because the taxpayers won’t be directly feeling the impact.

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, as read it, it is just an alternate cash back CC where your rewards are going to taxes instead of cash back, airline miles, or Costco gift certificate.

I got married this year and put the whole thing on my Costco card, then paid it off the following month. I will be getting a very nice Costco voucher this year for doing that. If I had available one of those county cards and the rebate was equal to or competitive with Costco CC I would have used the county one and received a nice sized check from my mortgage company for the overpayment of escrow. To me cash > voucher or miles. I could then take that check and buy anything I want instead of having to use it for stuff from Costco or flights with Delta, namely my kitchen remodel.

It appears to just be an added option in your arsenal of rebate CCs. I like options, especially ones that lead to cash instead of miles.

The operative word here is "reduce." The politician is saying they are reducing your tax bill, when they are simply directing rewards towards an existing bill, which can then go up even more without opposition. Whether you pay with cash or rewards, the bill hasn't been reduced one bit.

It does reduce the amount they are billed, it may or may not reduce the taxes owed though. If they are judicious (haha) with whatever kickbacks the CC company is giving the county then it will reduce taxes. Since we all know that 'extra' money is never used to reduce taxes it may hopefully reduce the rate of climb for the taxes.

Either way for me I would like to have an option (if competitive) to participate in that kind of program. I also like the idea of the county having an additional revenue stream that is not comprised of raising my taxes.

So really who does this program hurt? Land owners are given a way if they choose to reduce their bill at the end of the year. The county gets another revenue stream that helps increase the tax base with little or zero cost to the residents. I don't care if they piss away the new found money, use it to reduce my taxes, or invest it in something I deem worthy. In the end they have more money coming in, that I know for a fact is better than less. Especially since I know who is getting the bill if they need more money, me.

No one is losing here, period.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Since I am 65, I can fill out a very long form and have my township taxes frozen at the current rate. I will still have to pay the county tax. An incredible part of our township taxes are for the school system. 12 Million is how much our school system cost at this time. We lost over 3 million when the nuclear power plant shut down this summer. When we first move here in 1992 we paid $1,900 per year in taxes.

Auto insurance $7,000
Homeowners insurance $2,800
Flood insurance $800. No wonder we are the state with the most people leaving every year. Please remember North Jersey is the suburbs of NYC, South Jersey is more semi-rural with a lot of open land, hunting, fishing, beaches. We are a total different group of people.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just the business owner that accepts the card. Everybody keeps forgetting about him.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

Just the business owner that accepts the card. Everybody keeps forgetting about him.

I am not forgetting about them, CC processing fees are a fact of life and business factor those costs in when determining their prices. That is why some gas stations give a discount for those paying in cash.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:

Auto insurance $7,000
Homeowners insurance $2,800
Flood insurance $800. ...

Holy Moly!!!

Auto insurance $816
Homeowners insurance $773
Flood insurance N/A

My auto insurance is only me, I am waiting for my agent to give me a quote that puts my wife on mine. I am guessing $1,400ish when I get the quote, maybe less.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My auto insurance is for 5 of us. I should have said that up front. Full coverage on all $300,000/$500,000. This summer one turns 25 so his rates should go down. My boys pay their share, my daughter still in high school and we will pay for her. It's our choice to let her excel in studies, clubs, band activities and EMT rather that worry about paying us for insurance. She does have a part time job.

Flood insurance only came along 7 years ago when FEMA did new surveys. We didn't get flooded in Sandy, and don't need it but they force it on you.

Living the Dream

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not forgetting about them, CC processing fees are a fact of life and business factor those costs in when determining their prices. That is why some gas stations give a discount for those paying in cash.

Business owners pay additional fees for the rewards cards like those mentioned.

But you are right. Those costs are passed right back to the consumer, so when it's all said and done you're still paying for it yourself.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My brother that own a business in town stopped accepting American Express as he had to pay them more than Visa and Mastercard. It adds up in the end.

Living the Dream

The Constable
posted Hide Post
rtquig,

Have a good buddy that lives on Pheasant Run Rd there in Lacey. My Mom's down the road in Barnegat. Small world. LOL.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
rtquig,

Have a good buddy that lives on Pheasant Run Rd there in Lacey. My Mom's down the road in Barnegat. Small world. LOL.

How about that, it is a small world. I have lived in Lacey (Forked River) since 1974. I remember Pheasant Run being built. I usually pass through Barnegat 4-5 times a week. A lot has changed.

Living the Dream

Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
No, thanks. I will not add another card to my wallet (and my credit rating), debit or no. I have a bank debit card and my United Explorer Visa, with which I earn miles (230K and counting).

All these blandishments are simple come-ons. You can keep them.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My sister and her husband live in North Jersey and are looking for a house but are getting discouraged seeing ones they like and can normally afford but with $20,000 a year property tax bills! WTF! Eek

Tell your sister to stop being a rich diva. Thats only $1667 a month Wink

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post