SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why do people drive like idiots?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do people drive like idiots? Login/Join 
posted
Sitting here two weeks after getting rear ended still dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck. Had to use 4 vacation days and work from home the others. Ice the area every hour, traction/therapy everyday, all because some idiot wasn't paying attention in heavy traffic no less.

She was more worried about what her husband was going to say than if I was OK.

We finally get some non-rainy whether here and now me and y Corvette are both in recovery.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Posts: 57 | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah been there. Most people that rear end me do not have insurance and attempt to leave the scene. Sounds like the lady might even have insurance coverage, so maybe the bills will be covered, your car repaired and some settlement for time off from work and pain and suffering. Nothing of course will completely compensate you for what happened. I look in my rearview mirror a lot these days.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Why do people drive like idiots? Cuz they are.

I've only been rear-ended a couple of times. Both were before cellphones.

Best wishes for a swift and complete recovery for you....and your 'vette.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Part of the way of dealing with this is in a sense driving with the deficiencies of others in mind. I don't like someone riding my bumper, goes triple when on a mororcycle.

It's not a 'brake check', but I often give an early brake light when planning a turn or stop ahead. Of course it's not going to eliminate all factors going into getting rear ended. Some people just can't be helped, need to stay away from them as much as able, on the road.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
My parents were rear ended on Rt3 in Plymouth MA by a motorist that failed to stop in a work zone, there was a lane drop and she hit them doing approximately 65-70mph.

My parents were in a Mercedes E350 and she was driving a new Cherokee, the MB was totaled and my mother is still dealing with major issues. Dads Ok but my mothers neck and back fusions are a mess. She's in for a long recovery after multple surgeries to fix the damage.

Said women admitted to being distracted and upset on scene- this happened right in front of a MA State Trooper. Lawsuit remains unsettled.

Bottom line is that my mothers remaining years will be pain filled because of an idiot who was probably texting and was clearly not paying attention.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I just had to rant.

Thankfully I left enough room in front of me. When she hit me I saw myself being launched into the car ahead and don't know how I didn't hit him.

Liner - I am truly sorry to hear what your parents, especially your mother, is going through. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 57 | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
Lawsuit remains unsettled ... my mothers remaining years will be pain filled because of an idiot who was probably texting and was clearly not paying attention.
Lawyer question here: Can the attorney who is handling your parents' lawsuit subpoena the other driver's cell phone records for the date and time in question? Texting and / or calling might be shown. Maybe even a pattern of doing this, indicating habitual irresponsible driving.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happened to me twice, while riding on a motorcycle. Both were female driver. First one I sued her Insurance carrier (GEICO) and got a nice $$$$ settlement.

Second stupid female scooted for Mexico. My Progressive coverage ate the repairs to me and the BMW R1200R.

To this day I'm very cautious when stopped at an intersection.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
Lawsuit remains unsettled ... my mothers remaining years will be pain filled because of an idiot who was probably texting and was clearly not paying attention.
Lawyer question here: Can the attorney who is handling your parents' lawsuit subpoena the other driver's cell phone records for the date and time in question? Texting and / or calling might be shown. Maybe even a pattern of doing this, indicating habitual irresponsible driving.

In this case the trooper grabbed her phone, not sure of what they found.
My take is that they are letting the medical bills and treatment take their course followed by a settlement.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AGFNTB:
Thanks for the replies. I just had to rant.

Thankfully I left enough room in front of me. When she hit me I saw myself being launched into the car ahead and don't know how I didn't hit him.

Liner - I am truly sorry to hear what your parents, especially your mother, is going through. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you, it's hard enough watching a parent suffer, but the situation was avoidable.

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Haven't been hit from behind in years, knock on wood, but when it did happen, we were stopped at a stop sign with a cop a block away when an SUV crashed into us. Crushed the Camry's rear up to the rear window. My son and I got away with headaches, my wife's neck was screwed up for over a year.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk to a cop. Drivers are attracted to police cars like moths to a light.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do people drive like idiots?

Because most people ARE idiots, so it makes perfect sense that they drive the same way.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I just spent a week in Charlotte, and I swear people down there drive like they all have a death wish. If you try to leave a little buffer in front of you, there's two vehicles cutting into the space you leave.
My nerves were fried after just a day or two, and I only drove a couple miles each way from the motel to the training academy and back.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Talk to a cop. Drivers are attracted to police cars like moths to a light.

Very true. One of our guys has had two cars hit him in the past month. At the same intersection. First time was minor, just knocked the bumper cover off, but the second one totaled his car. Thankfully he was ok. Both drivers were DUI.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I just spent a week in Charlotte, and I swear people down there drive like they all have a death wish. If you try to leave a little buffer in front of you, there's two vehicles cutting into the space you leave.
My nerves were fried after just a day or two, and I only drove a couple miles each way from the motel to the training academy and back.

Try driving in Greensboro and Winston Salem especially on the interstates. They cut across two or three lanes of traffic at the time and the ones entering the express ways will run all over you just to get to the next exit ramp. I despise driving in either one. Got to go thru W.S. today on the interstate and am really dreading it.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Why do people drive like idiots?

Because most people ARE idiots, so it makes perfect sense that they drive the same way.

This.

I guess I have become old and crotchety. Yesterday, I approached a very busy intersection that is five lanes in each direction. The two turn lanes to right do not allow for right turn on red because it is so busy. The two right lanes had green right arrows. One lady was sitting in the lane, with her left turn signal on. Let me catch that sort of nonsense when I am at work. That is a three pack citation. Improper use of a turn signal, a compulsory turn lane violation, and careless driving. With a mandatory court date. No pre-pay.

My other current favorite is the people that want to stop on a six lane to cut 3-4 lanes of traffic to turn RIGHT NOW.

"I'm not from around here". I hear that a lot when I see crap like this. I want desperately to reply "I'm quite sure (insert home state here) prohibits you from driving like a twit too". Or "I'm just going over there". I no longer feel sorry for people with sob stories of why they drive the way they do. I just give them a court date.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:

Try driving in Greensboro and Winston Salem especially on the interstates. They cut across two or three lanes of traffic at the time and the ones entering the express ways will run all over you just to get to the next exit ramp. I despise driving in either one. Got to go thru W.S. today on the interstate and am really dreading it.

Oh, I drive through there pretty frequently too. I would just as soon take an ass whipping. Greensboro is especially bad to me, but I stay off of 40 Business in Winston.

Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AGFNTB:
Sitting here two weeks after getting rear ended still dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck. Had to use 4 vacation days and work from home the others. Ice the area every hour, traction/therapy everyday, all because some idiot wasn't paying attention in heavy traffic no less.

She was more worried about what her husband was going to say than if I was OK.

We finally get some non-rainy whether here and now me and y Corvette are both in recovery.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Do you live in Massachusetts?

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of four-way stop intersections here in Jerkwater. It's incredible just how difficult it is for people to take turns, in accordance with the law. I have nearly been hit by lunkheads there twice in the past ten days or so. One guy gave me the international symbol of brotherhood when I honked at him to keep him from t-boning me while he was having an animated discussion on his cell phone.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post