SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Blackberry Priv
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackberry Priv Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks V-Tail. Interesting way to handle things. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Guess all the holiday deals are gone plus I have no local COSTCO.

That Honor 7X is quite attractive at its $200 delivery price. Best I can find for an unlocked Moto G5+ is $300 for the 64Gb version and $230 for the 32Gb.

The LG G6 is over $500 on Amazon even with Prime which I don't have. And other sites, mostly refurbs, are sketchy at best. As an aside the LG V20 is likewise only refurbs. The OnePlus 5T is $632 to $710 depending on RAM. Regardless way too rich for my retiree blood as is the LG G6. Frown

Another issue I'm finding is that unlike a carrier sponsored phones from the likes of say AT&T or Verizon, etc., unlocked jobs rarely can get OS or even security updates. With the Huawei Honor 7X it is factory supported and is scheduled for an update to Android 8 / EMUI 8.

Addendum: Why unlocked? I've been a non-contract user now for half dozen years. Mostly with Straight Talk. Again an old retiree with minimal - modest usage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did some running around yesterday and stopped at AT&T and Verizon.
Verizon does not have the U11 but had a Galaxy S8. Was thinking about it since they are offering $150 for switching from AT&T. There was a catch as always. I asked if they could just knock $150 off the price of the phone. Nope, gift card only. Alright, well I'll just pay the price for the phone then in cash. Can't do that. Why not? You have to make one monthly payment and then you can pay off the phone. Fucking serious? I ended up leaving Verizon.
On to AT&T. No problems there as I'm an existing customer. Pay cash for the phone? No problem. I already have my military discount in place so it looks like I'll be with AT&T again. The S8 is also cheaper here compared to Verizon.
I did ask about trading in my BlackBerry and was told that they couldn't give me much for it seeing as it has no support from the company. They also told me that they quit selling BlackBerrys because of lack of interest/support. Wonderful. Lesson learned.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congrats joatmonv. Sounds like you managed to score a decent deal. Smile

Had been curious about the Huawei Honor View 10 aka V10 that was to be made available today. AT&T backed out of the partnership so Huawei announced plans for direct sales (and later amazon, etc.) starting tomorrow. But it will sell for a minimum of $450 and more with added memory. Despite the better display, faster processors, bigger memories, extra features (none of which really are must haves at all), I'm going with this great bang for the buck at $199.99 delivered direct from Huawei USA. Plus, as previously mentioned, unlike other unlocked phones this one will received OS and security upgrades.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Well, I bought the OnePlus 5t. I opted for the 6gb/64gb model, as I might give it to my father, after I've test driven it for a month or so. Switching from an iPhone 6 I've used for the last 3-years.

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Got it and am frankly blown away. No doubt because I'm finally replacing a 6.5 year old phone but still.

Ported my contacts and calendar via google. Set up my email, wifi, fingerprint ID, etc., and am now tweaking other settings. HUGE difference between the old android 2.3.6 I was used to and this puppy's 7.0 (soon to be 8.0 with facial recognition!). Then there's the size difference. Not just the near 6" 18:9 screen but overall. It came with a clear silicone bumper case but I think I'll end up picking up a belt case for out and about. Smile

New vs Old

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
That is a massive upgrade. Android 2.x is prehistoric.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
That is a massive upgrade. Android 2.x is prehistoric.

Hey, what can I say? hahahahahaha Of course you're spot on!

On another front I decided that the risks of catching a belt case on you name it were simply too great given the size of this thing. The days of small flip phones on a belt case above either front pocket are long gone.

I've spent literally hours (I'm retired) on the net looking at options. I finally found one that suits me well. https://www.foneleash.com/

Over the years I've used wide neck strap lanyards for a variety of needs ranging from ID cards to small digital cameras, to even key rings. Having a neck lanyard to provide security against drops, damages, or even loss allows me to carry this 6.16 x 2.96 x 0.30 in phone in my shirt pocket despite it extending far out due to its height. I also don't have to risk things from any cumbersome pants pocket carry (no I don't wear cargo jobs).

My 7X fits very securely in the supplied TPU case and I have no reason to believe it'll be any less secure with the Foneleash installed.

Anyhow I expect this solves my carry dilemma although I'm sure it wouldn't work for some other folks. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
OnePlus 5t came in today. Overall, very pleased. Love the screen real estate.

FYI, if anyone is thinking of getting one, don't bother buying an extra case they have to offer. The 5t comes with a silicone bumper case free, and while it is not a super high quality case, it is decent enough to hold out until some better cases come out. The optional, for purchase cases (wood grain/carbon fiber/etc) are for aesthetics/light scratches only. I can't see them adding any extra durability. Not nearly as sturdy as the Magpul Bumper case I had for my iPhone 6.

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post