SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Blackberry Priv
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackberry Priv Login/Join 
posted
So I like Android phones, in particular the BlackBerry ones.
A few years ago, I traded in a Galaxy S5 and got the Priv. I've been happy with it even though they won't send the Nougat update to the Privs. Lately, it's been freezing up, pure black screen and I end up doing a hard reset on it (power button held in for 15 seconds). It's got to the point where I am doing it 2x a day now. It's so damn slow and freezes up. Reception was iffy depending on where you were. Other phones on AT&T would get a signal and mine would drop to "no signal, emergency calls only".
Poking around tonight, slowly of course, I found an article on the Priv. Seems they need a memory upgrade. I've looked at how much memory I've used so far and I've got plenty left. Seems it doesn't matter. Also read about other users talking about freezing up. BlackBerry does not support the Priv anymore either. 2 years and they were done.
Really pisses me off as my first smartphone was a BlackBerry and I like them. Sticking with Android though.
Anyone running one of the newer Galaxy S phones? Thoughts?

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After first using an iPhone 4S for 2-3 years then swapped to the iPhone 6 for another 2 years or so, and now going from the iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy S8+, I like the change. It does have a learning curve that I am still getting used to after about 1 week with the phone. I would suggest looking at some comparison videos between iPhone and Android as there are some things that the iPhone does automatically that the Android needs a downloadable app to do, such as turning on the screen when receiving a text message.

Also, go to your local store so you can check out both phones in a side by side comparison in person. Another phone you might want to check out is the Google Pixel 2, which is considered better than both Apple and Samsung's flagship phones.

And lastly, if you are a Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T customer, check Target's weekly ad for special trade in deals. I got my Galaxy S8+ for $0 down on an 18-month lease and a $300 Target gift card as well.

Posts: 12 | Registered: February 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I always buy the HTC product, currently the U11. I've always been very happy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've been a Samsung galaxy user since they came out.

Currently using the 7 edge, wife has the 6 edge. I looked at the 8, but I'll probably wait for the 9, since the 7 I have now is still doing just fine.
Holding the 8, it felt off to me. The dimensions are a bit different than the other galaxy's, and while I could get used to it, it just felt funky.
Screen and camera are amazing, but my 7 is still holding fine for me there.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked online at a few reviews of some Android phones.
The U11 Skins mentioned looks interesting but I'm not sure AT&T has it. Nokia 8 got some excellent reviews as well.
I'll probably go down to the store at some point this week and look around.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've been a Samsung and Android fan for many years and I needed a new phone a month or so ago and I picked up an LG G6 unlocked for just under $400. What an awesome phone this is and I saved $500 by not getting the S8. Go on YouTube and check out the G6 vs S8 videos. It will be eye opening.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Coworker just went from an S8Edge to a Pixel2.
If the Pixel comes to ATT & he likes it, I may switch to it from my Note5.
Otherwise, it'll be the non-Note Galaxy for my next upgrade.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15257 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I've been a Samsung and Android fan for many years and I needed a new phone a month or so ago and I picked up an LG G6 unlocked for just under $400. What an awesome phone this is and I saved $500 by not getting the S8. Go on YouTube and check out the G6 vs S8 videos. It will be eye opening.

Where did you find that G6 for under $400?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Where did you find that G6 for under $400?

A local non affiliated cell phone and wireless store. They had access to a manufacturers coupon that I think expired on 12/31. That and I signed up to Page Plus Wireless that also had a promotion.

The thing is, LG is pushing the V30 as their flagship phone and the G6 just never took off like they had hoped so the price will continue to fall I'd guess. This is a crazy great phone that is being overlooked by the Samsung and iPhone crowd in my opinion.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim. I'll keep my eyes peeled although the only place I see those kinds of prices currently is on ebay. I'd be looking for the LG G6 H871 unlocked model to replace my ancient LG L35G. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Jim. I'll keep my eyes peeled although the only place I see those kinds of prices currently is on ebay. I'd be looking for the LG G6 H871 unlocked model to replace my ancient LG L35G. Smile

I was a little skeptical myself and thought they were passing on a used or remanufactured phone but the person that I dealt with told me that it was too early for those to show up.
Maybe I just got lucky, but I thought they were available at that price on a regular basis. I guess not.

As a side note, I'm an LG fan and own a bunch of their products. TV's, monitors and a washing machine to name a few. That's how I looked at the G6 in the first place and it isn't disappointing me in the least.

Jim

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Pixel 2.

Was recently released this fall. Google guarantees three years of Android software updates, and extended the hardware warranty to 2 years.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have a ton of options for unlocked phones on AT&T. Pixel 2, One Plus, assorted Motorola devices, Essential Phone, plus whatever Samsung, LG, and the others are offering.

I have been very happy with my Pixel 2 XL The unmolested Android experience has always been my preference.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
The OnePlus 5T will most likely be my next phone.

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We had Blackberries issued to us where I worked before I retired. Couldn't stand them - POS. My personal phone is a S7; the wife has a S3 which still meets her needs. She'll get a new one when it dies.

Posts: 9028 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I stick to Moto for the radios. Currently about two months into the Moto G5PLus. No issues and its cheap at Costco.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Dawned on me that as a retiree who uses a smartphone only for email, SMS, Wx, calendar schedules (rarely use the camera on my antique because it sucks), that a flagship phone is something I don't need. I'm no gamer nor do I stream content to view on my phone.

So I started looking a lower tier offerings and have found the Huawei Honor 7X and Moto 5G Plus to top the list. That said I've never used anything that big (the 7x is ~ 6.2 x 3"). Old flip phones and current LG L35G bought in November 2012 (which is but 4" x 2 3/8" overall) have been my history.

7X vs G5+ comparos:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/...-7x-vs-moto-g5-plus/
https://www.androidauthority.c...moto-g5-plus-823015/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Now I'm wondering how the heck to carry one of these monster sized phones. Shirt and pants pockets appear inadequate....

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I'm wondering how the heck to carry one of these monster sized phones. Shirt and pants pockets appear inadequate....

I have a backpack that doubles as a get home/BUG out bag that I carry my BlackBerry in when I go to work. It does not fit in my pocket to good although it will.
Winter time has me in my Carharrt coat and I usually have it in the inside pocket.
Still kicking around ideas right now. Possibly going to look at Verizon since I'm not under contract with AT&T.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
These guys make a high quality belt holster. I have "The Answer 500," great product for $29.00

Made in the U.S.A. They have a lot of stock sizes, but if yours is not listed they will make it to your exact measurements for the same price. Very fast turnaround. I ordered mine in two-tone, tan and black.

Customer-oriented company. I would rate them in the same class as Top Gun Supply, Dustin Osborn, Ryan Grizzle, Greg Cote... you know, the folks who have figured out that a speedy, courteous, response to customer inquiries or concerns is the right way to do business.

Try it. You'll like it!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post