SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New credit card has new feature
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New credit card has new feature Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
A fraudulent charge was attempted on my Wells Fargo credit card. The bank declined it and sent me a text notification. I verified that the charge was fraudulent, so the bank deactivated my card and sent me a new one via FedEx.

I got it today, and it has an interesting new capability: contactless payment (in addition to a chip). Didn’t know that possibility existed.

I suspect that I know the fraud source. Two day ago the chip reader at my favorite grocery wasn’t working, so I had to swipe the magnetic strip through. Likely that’s where my CC number was taken. It’s been at least ten years since the previous fraudulent charge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8920 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few weeks ago GF son lost his wallet near his apartment complex. Within minutes someone found it and began charging items at Ross (cheap clothing) and Walmart with his credit cards.

GF son immediately cancelled all C.C. and began task of replacing his DL, state Correction ID and other items.

He went to Ross to ask about viewing video tape and was refused.

Since this happened all charges on his C.C. were returned and he has since moved on.

My gripe is - why didn't the person who found the wallet return it to him, as they would have received a generous reward from him.

Instead, by me, they are looked upon as thieves.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I got it today, and it has an interesting new capability: contactless payment (in addition to a chip). Didn’t know that possibility existed.

Wonder how many terminals have the capability to read it?

I'm waiting on my second card this year. Gets damn old. I'm committed to using Apple Pay every chance I get.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
contactless payment

It's been used for a while in other countries. It is just now spreading in the US.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Lemme tell you about San Diego County Credit Union...

My wife opened an account with and had her card number hacked before she used it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
My new Wal-Mart/capitol one card has the touch it to the thingy to pay along with the chip.
I've never used one like that.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I just got a new card in the mail last week.

They notify me 48 hours before a fraudulent charge is made.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I just got a new card in the mail last week.

They notify me 48 hours before a fraudulent charge is made.

I sure enjoy your posts!

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't know why people aren't honest?

Wow.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just got one of these cards last week. Tested it twice so far, seems to work ok. You align the picture on the card with the same picture on the reader, it makes a noise, and all done.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:

I'm waiting on my second card this year. Gets damn old. I'm committed to using Apple Pay every chance I get.

Everywhere or close to everywhere that Apple Pay is accepted will take the contactless cards, too. They've been around in some capacity for a while. There's a whole closet industry of RFID blocking wallets, which are really a solution looking for a problem as it relates to credit cards.

Posts: 5158 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest trend for some reason, is to put the numbers, expiration date, etc. on the back of the card. I was ordering something on the phone one day with my new card. The girl asked me for the number so I looked at the card and blurted out, "It doesn't have one!" She said, "Maybe it's on the back."

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
The latest trend for some reason is to put the numbers, expiration date, etc. on the back of the card. I was ordering something on the phone one day with my new card. The girl asked me for the number so I looked at the card and blurted out, "It doesn't have one!" She said, "Maybe it's on the back."

This is in prep for a new service where at the bigger branches when you get a card or need one replaced 2 cleared people will go into the bank and use a new style machine to issue the card right there and then. It takes to much to be able to stamp the cards in a machine that is in the bank.

Posts: 34 | Location: United States | Registered: August 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I love it. Usually faster and simpler. Almost as easy as Apple Pay that is used the same way.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Apple Pay with FaceID for authentication is the quickest payment method I've ever used. I barely get the phone out of my pocket and it's done. I don't have one of those "touch-pay" cards (that I know of), so cannot compare to that, but you still have to get something out of your pocket/wallet.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The greatest feature on the Apple Watch, worth the price of admission, is the Apple Pay function. Double tap the side, do a Bruce Lee/Chuck Norris forearm/wrist move. Here the beep and walk away. Second is getting the QR code to board planes. Cool

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
A while back we got a phone call from our credit card company asking if we had charged groceries from 2 stores about 35 miles from where we live?

NOPE!!

They removed the charges and that ended it.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:

All the “Tap” terminals work with it. My Amazon card has it. But I prefer paying with my phone so I have only used it a couple times.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I get messaged each time any of my cards are used. Sometimes while I'm still at the counter.
I don't do debit cards much.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Just got a card today that has that tap or touch feature. Doesn't sound like anyone here knows much about it either.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post