SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Browning barrel threads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning barrel threads Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted
Just an FYI, if you purchase a Browning bolt action rifle, the threads on the muzzle end are at least 3 different threadings, two of which aren't used on anything else in the mechanical world. I bought an Western Hunter X-bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is sold with a muzzle brake threaded on it. The threads are metric 13mm x 0.75 but if it were a 30 caliber the threading would be 13mm x 1.25, neither of which are standard for anything anywhere in the world, near as I can determine. There is one version of the X-bolt that has a normal 5/8x24 threading, their "Long Range Hunter" in 30 caliber. Oh and re-threading the barrel voids the warrantee on the entire rifle.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Another fri, if you thread a buckmark barrel, have fun with the fucking front sight indexing pin. That pin is harder than god knows what and dulled the cutter on my lathe multiple times. Thought I'd add to your rant.

But seriously, have fun with their warranty department for anything or just their customer service in general if you ever manage to speak with someone. Just go ahead and have it threaded to what you like.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I never liked the concept of a device to dial in certain bullet offerings.
They make pretty firearms but that dial a shit on the front turned me off.
Sounds like you have a lathe,use it,screw the b s warranty
Most new guns are like new cars,buy either and try to sell for your money back the next day,you will take a hit.Just the way it is.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Well, after three attempts I finally got a thread adapter that matched the exotic threading.

But Browning's Customer Service is a misnamed joke. This isn't the first ime I've had a less than stellar interaction with them. I have a Hi Power that I was trying to get parts and service, it was very hit or miss then. If you want a real laugh, go over to the Buckmark forum and see how many different slides, buffers and screws Browning uses on them, and the utter lack of availability of essential spare parts.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post