SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Prime shipping - weird
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prime shipping - weird Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I order shorts - comes in a box with the air bags to inhibit movement, etc.

I order a tablet and a ball mount (heavy sucker) and they come in a box without any air bags or protection for the tablet from the ball mount. The plastic packaging for the light adapter (also in the order) was destroyed.

1) How the tablet escaped unscathed is a miracle
2) WTF Prime?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I am not sure who to blame.

Last week I ordered an air pressure meter/valve for one of my HVLP sprayers.

The box was 14x10x8 with bubble wrap.
Inside was a 4x6x4 box with paper packing.
In it was my 3M valve box > 2x2x2.

Confused

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Saturday I got a solar battery charger for my farm truck, delivered in a box big enough to have held two dozen of them, padded with a single sheet of brown paper.

I think it must be the packaging crew's way of retaliating against their cruel employer.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I ordered a new kitty litter pooper scooper from Amazon Prime. It arrived in a box approximately 18x10x10.

I assume they were out of smaller appropriately sized boxes.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pickers and packers are often seasonal help.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I received an undamaged Amazon box, and opened it to find zero padding and a damaged manufacturers box. At first, I thought it was damaged during shipping then noticed the manufacturers box was taped shut with Amazon prime shipping tape. They mailed me a damaged box in hopes I would accept it.

Nope. They got had to send me a new one and pay UPS to bring back the damaged one.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Ordered glass protector for my phone, arrives cracked. Orders from China arrive undamaged. Come on, Amazon, do better.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
As an AMZN owner this always disturbs me. Some of the packing is crazy, and surely is costing more due to size.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
My sister's fiance works for Amazon corporate in Seattle. I texted him out of the blue because I wanted to vent about the Prime packaging.

His response: Leave packaging feedback. Detail precisely what they did right, and what they did wrong. They actually do read the reviews, and implement changes where necessary.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
2) WTF Prime?

Was the later from a 3rd party vendor or straight from an Amazon warehouse?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14183 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We order a lot from Amazon at work & have seen a lot of this.
Plus our receptionist likes to just drop the boxes on the floor with no regard that there could be fragile items inside Roll Eyes because "it probably got beat up worse in shipping, than that little drop".

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
2) WTF Prime?

Was the later from a 3rd party vendor or straight from an Amazon warehouse?

Tablet, ball mount, light adapter all in the same box from warehouse (I usually order only where amzn is the sellor or if the 3rd party has > 5000 reviews and ships directly from amzn warehouse). I never order from 3rd party, ships from 3rd party. If I use amzn, it comes from amzn or a larger, well established company.

Shorts, well protected by a box full of air bags, were a different order / different box.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wayfair is worse. Set of three Victorinox Professional knives came in a plastic display type box....well, one of them still was, the other two were rattling around in the bottom of the tear-proof bag it was shipped in, no padding. Wtf!

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best was I ordered 2 Optima group 27 agm batteries......They were each in a box about twice the size of the battery, no padding, no nothing.....imagine picking up a package with a 70lb battery rolling around in the package.....the boxes looked like they got run over by the UPS truck but the batteries were fine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Pickers and packers are often seasonal help.

Plus how much training and education do you need to be a packer?

I think the best Amazon can hope for is the packers put it in a big enough box and protected as necessary. As much data as Amazon has, I'm thinking they can create a program that dictates the box size and level of protection needed for the items in a shipment. it would be similar to those programs that determine the optimum layout for loading a pallet with product.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Wife orders our dog food via Prime. Each bag comes in an appropriately sized box, with a healthy dose of that brown paper inside that is supposed to take up the extra space. But the dog food bag just flattens the paper, so it is a waste to even use it. I donate it to our local mom and pop shipping service, usually a fully stuffed 33 gallon trash bag full (we get 4 bags of dog food per shipment).

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Their packers obviously do not grasp the purpose of "packing material."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I ordered a textbook for my son in August. Normal textbook size, paperbound, and around 1/2" thick. It came in a box about 4 feet long, 16" wide, and 2" thick.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Wife orders our dog food via Prime. Each bag comes in an appropriately sized box, with a healthy dose of that brown paper inside that is supposed to take up the extra space. But the dog food bag just flattens the paper, so it is a waste to even use it.
Yup. We typically get 100-125# of dog food a month and see the same thing.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
On the Amazon "write a review" page there is also a write a review on shipping...kinda like Goldilocks and the Three Bears...was the package to small, to large or just right, as well as how easy was it to access and was the contents safely packaged or damaged in any way...

I always post both honest product reviews as well as shipping reviews.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post