SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Oh CVT how hate thee
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh CVT how hate thee Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Recently we bought a Forester XT, so far except for the seats...(really subaru Roll Eyes) we like it. But the damned CVT ARRRRGGGHH, we had a DSG on my wifes TDI (she can't drive stick) and it was not bad for an auto but the CVT is just piss poor.

I can understand on a normal slow assed 2.5L but come on this engine just screams for a 6sp or at least something like the DSG.

It almost makes me wish I bought a different car although the choices in this segment are limited (that I actually like), maybe the mazda would have been better.

Should have put in the extra effort to convince the wife to get the 3 series wagon.

That being said I do like the Subaru not sure if I will need the legendary Subaru AWD in NTX but having it is "just in case" is nice

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Recently we bought a Forester XT, so far except for the seats...(really subaru Roll Eyes) we like it.

I've heard that from several friends about the Forester. They all complain about the seats. One of them ended up trading in her Forester within the first year, and took a pretty big hit, just because she hated the seats.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The seats killed it for me on the first 5 minutes of the test drive. Went to Subaru to test drive the BRZ but my son could barely fit in the back, tried the Forester and didn't like the 4 cyl or the seats. Ended up with the Legacy in a 6 cyl. The CVT seems fine to me. It's programmed to simulate a six speed auto.

With that said, my Legacy is 3 years old now. I'm planning on going back to BMW.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I have the pre-cvt Forrester.. Everything about it is great! Except for the seats. They're not bad, they're just not good.

I thought it was just me being weird shaped and lumpy!

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
The seats killed it for me on the first 5 minutes of the test drive. Went to Subaru to test drive the BRZ but my son could barely fit in the back, tried the Forester and didn't like the 4 cyl or the seats. Ended up with the Legacy in a 6 cyl. The CVT seems fine to me. It's programmed to simulate a six speed auto.

With that said, my Legacy is 3 years old now. I'm planning on going back to BMW.

the leather in the outback are quite ok, I am looking to swap WRX seats (plenty on the used market). The seats in my Xtrra are the same, flat boards but in a truck I can deal with that.

I almost think subaru made them flat as a safety feature...it cuts down on taking corners enthusiastically

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The seats do suck royally. You'll use the AWD in our floods in the spring. AWD is excellent in all the rain we get in North Texas. You could always trade for a WRX or step up to the 3.6L Outback.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Recently we bought a Forester XT, so far except for the seats...(really subaru Roll Eyes) we like it. But the damned CVT ARRRRGGGHH, we had a DSG on my wifes TDI (she can't drive stick) and it was not bad for an auto but the CVT is just piss poor.

I can understand on a normal slow assed 2.5L but come on this engine just screams for a 6sp or at least something like the DSG.

It almost makes me wish I bought a different car although the choices in this segment are limited (that I actually like), maybe the mazda would have been better.

Should have put in the extra effort to convince the wife to get the 3 series wagon.

That being said I do like the Subaru not sure if I will need the legendary Subaru AWD in NTX but having it is "just in case" is nice

Just goes to show you... I just bought a 2017 Forester 2.5 Touring and I found the seats comfortable on a five hour drive. The CVT transmission doesn't bother me linked to my normally aspirated engine. Doesn't the XT come with paddle shifters?

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
quote:

Just goes to show you... I just bought a 2017 Forester 2.5 Touring and I found the seats comfortable on a five hour drive. The CVT transmission doesn't bother me linked to my normally aspirated engine. Doesn't the XT come with paddle shifters?

Yes it does and it does a fairly good impression of proper auto except under hard acceleration it surges at the top of the rev limit....rather annoying

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
The seats do suck royally. You'll use the AWD in our floods in the spring. AWD is excellent in all the rain we get in North Texas. You could always trade for a WRX or step up to the 3.6L Outback.

Almost had the Misses convinced to get a red WRX Big Grin should have tried harder, she hated the Outback...."it's a minivan"

I grew up with a subaru in NW PA where they ar damned near the official car in the snow belt, just not as much use here in NTX.....no a biggie, still a very safe vehicle, which is why we bought it.

Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
My wife thought she wanted the Honda CR-V until she took a test drive and noticed the blind spots in that car. Visibility is her primary consideration, and she found the Forester to be the best in that category. I was sold on the Eyesight technology package. According to my research, Subaru's approach to this technology was top tier, at any automobile price point.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My last CVT experience was in a Maxima. 4 Door Sports Car my ass - they have so ruined this car from all it used to be!

I'd not have one, not matter how much they program it to fake like it's a real transmission.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Almost had the Misses convinced to get a red WRX Big Grin should have tried harder, she hated the Outback...."it's a minivan"

I grew up with a subaru in NW PA where they ar damned near the official car in the snow belt, just not as much use here in NTX.....no a biggie, still a very safe vehicle, which is why we bought it.

We get more precipitation per calendar year here compared to Seattle. Floods every year. I see Comms Ronin underneath your name. You'll have to let me know what you do in Telco. I'm looking.....

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Recently we bought a Forester XT, so far except for the seats...(really subaru Roll Eyes) we like it.

I've heard that from several friends about the Forester. They all complain about the seats. One of them ended up trading in her Forester within the first year, and took a pretty big hit, just because she hated the seats.

My girlfriend has severe back problems. She loves the seats. I hate the passenger seat. Most uncomfortable car/SUV I've ever ridden in.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

We get more precipitation per calendar year here compared to Seattle. Floods every year. I see Comms Ronin underneath your name. You'll have to let me know what you do in Telco. I'm looking.....

Drop me a note my mail is my profile

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Drop me a note my mail is my profile

Done.

posted Hide Post
I had a Forester. I hated the tail gate motor. Soooo slow. Now that you mention it though, the seats did suck. Absolutely no side to side bolster, I always kind of slid around in it.

I traded it for a Crosstrek (bunch of little things kept going wrong on Forester) and the seats are a huge improvement.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
How can you like a car that has seats that are not satisfactory??

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I recently drove my Mom's brand new 2017 Lexus SUV. It's a hybrid, but I don't know if it's got a physical transmission or if the engine runs the electric motors because I never felt any gear shifts when the engine was running. Nevertheless, it behaved to me like a CVT vehicle I used to drive and reminded me of how much I hate them.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 2017 Outback 4 cyl. I haven't really noticed the CVT being an issue. I do find the delay annoying, when going back and forth between DRIVE and REVERSE .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post