SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Samsung galaxy note 10 or wait for Apple IPhone 11?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samsung galaxy note 10 or wait for Apple IPhone 11? Login/Join 
Picture of jac1304
posted
Thinking about switching from Apple to Samsung anyone regret switching?

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I don't think I could ever switch. I'm too tightly integrated with Apple products. And it all works. My wife and I each have an iPhone, iPad, Airpods, Apple Watch, a MacBook Pro and 2 vehicles with Apple Carplay. It all just works.

I also utilize Smartthings, Alexa, Nest and Rachio technology via both my iPhone and iPad.

and......It all just works.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My wife switched from Apple to Samsung and has never looked back.

If you do switch its a pain in the butt and you have to really work at it. Things are done differently and you need to be willing to put in the time and effort to look up how to do things. Otherwise you will not be happy with the new operating system.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Do you have any paid apps on apple that you need?
It won’t transfer over.

It’ll take time to relearn an os.

I’m a strange one. I have ios (xs max) and android (oneplus 5) that I use daily for different things. The Apple is on FirstNet and the Oneplus is on a free plan.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone at the Verizon store pushes Samsung. When I ask why, they say it's because that's what they all use so it's easier for them to help you with problems. I have always had Samsung including my current Galaxy 9+, which I hate ! My previous Samsungs were great. Wish I had stayed with my Note 4. Seems to me they brought out the Galaxy 10 pretty quickly after the 9. Maybe because they know the 9 is a POS !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I cannot see us ever going back to Android, and especially Samsung.

quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Everyone at the Verizon store pushes Samsung. When I ask why, they say it's because that's what they all use so it's easier for them to help you with problems.

More likely because it's a corporate directive. Verizon can muck with Android products and make them their own. They can't do that with Apple.

And that, right there, is one reason to choose, or stick with, Apple. Every Apple device is the same on every carrier. Period. Android? First the device manufacturer makes it their own, then the wireless carrier bastardizes the resulting FrankenAndroid to make it their own.

No thanks.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Had a Samsung for a while, regretted it from the first second. Same with when I used Windows for a while.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I tried switching from my iPhone X to the Galaxy 10, *twice*. Both times I went back to my iPhone. I really wanted to try something different, but my other devices are Apple as well (watch, iPad, etc). It made the whole environment too difficult.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You can obviously do what you want, but I’ll never go back to Google/Android.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
On my 3rd Samsung after an iPhone 4.
Galaxy S4Active, Note 5, and now a GS9+

No complaints on performance from me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A past job forced everyone to carry iPhones. Compared to my previous Samsung Note 3, the iPhone seemed to have very few abilities, control, or applications. Automation I used daily just wasn't available. Granted, this is from someone in IT that's accustomed to customizing things.

Once I moved to a new job, I switched to a Samsung S7 and got all my automation and control back. There is some bloat added with Samsung, though, and if I was to buy a new phone it would be a Pixel running pure Android.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jac1304:
Thinking about switching from Apple to Samsung anyone regret switching?

I went from an iPhone 7 that got dunked in Saltwater and worked but was on it's last leg to an Android phone. A Kyocera casio G shock phone. I hated it from day 1 and decided to give it 3 days. I did and hated it even more and sent it back and it cost me a $60 restocking fee with Verizon, I re-activated my iPhone 7 and then ordered an iPhone XS as soon as it came out a few months later and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Tried to go android, and I am a tech guy, and I hated it. All the bloatware, all the little glitches here and there etc. android offers far more options and is a tinkerer’s dream but me personally I have reached a point where I want my phones/PADs to just be refrigerators so to speak and just work. Apple gives that to me. Boring yes, locked down yes, overpriced hell yes.....but damn if they are not boringly reliable.

My best advice if you go android is get whatever phone is currently offered with the 100% pure android install. I think it’s currently the Pixel.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

And that, right there, is one reason to choose, or stick with, Apple. Every Apple device is the same on every carrier. Period.
Almost. Not quite 100%. I am an Apple user, have had iPhones since the 4, and I will stick with them. I have dabbled with Android and I don't really like it. Although I'm a techie, I don't want to mess with the phone, I just want it to work. iPhone does that for me.

The minor disagreement I have with your statement: there are some features found in "Setttings" that are carrier dependent. Example: some carriers offer personal hotspot, some do not.

Another difference is found between CDMA carriers (Sprint and Verizon networks) vs. GSM carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile networks). CDMA uses many of the * codes that landline Central Offices use. Things like, if you want to block your outgoing Caller ID for a call that you are making, you can prefix the number that you are dialing with *67 -- that will block your Caller ID for that call. For instance, *67 800 555 1212 (I stuck in spaces to make it easier to read) will dial that number, but your Caller ID information will be blocked. That's on a CDMA carrier. To do the same thing on a GSM phone, you have to drill down into Settings, and it's not quite the same, because with CDMA that blocking is for one call only (there's a different star code for "permanent" blocking), with GSM the Caller ID remains turned off until you go back to Settings and turn it back on.

Another example: You have the Call Waiting feature, but you are going to make a call and you do not want to be interruped. You can prefix the number that you are dialing with *70 -- that will disable Call Waiting for the current call. That's for CDMA phones. I don't know whether you can do that with GSM, I'm using my iPhone on the Verizon network so I can't look at Settings to see whether that's available on a GSM iPhone.

Granted, I had to dig around a bit to find minor exceptions to your statement; by and large I agree with your premise that Apple phones are way more consistent from carrier to carrier than the Android phones that I have played with.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I will never use an Android product again. Android = Google and Google = commies. I hate Apple, but they are at least, lesser commies.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post