SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Airline seat selection charges non-refundable even if you change flights???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline seat selection charges non-refundable even if you change flights??? Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted
What fresh hell is this....

I changed a flight back in Nov and paid a seat selection charge for a seat not in the middle of the row and right near the lav...

I subsequently changed the flight and asked the person when I chnaged it "so my seat selection charge will be refunded, correct?" and they said yes, of course. Well that was a lie.

I tried to dispute it with the card and United said "thats a non-refundable charge" but Chase gave me a credit for the charge as a courtesy.

If I wanted to wait on hold for several hours Id call United and yell at them, but I got the $$ so thats a win.

How the hell do you justify an optional seat selection charge on a flight that you didnt take for a seat that you didnt sit in be non-refundable....

Just beware...looks like the airlines are up to their old post-911 tricks to stick it to the customers (I cant complain too much as the airfares now are super low for the most part)

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The airlines truly hate their "customers". They only see them as $$$.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Did you submit a complaint to the airline through their online system? That might work.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
They're not all that way. Hawaiian Airlines is extremely liberal with changing reservations.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Southwest is very accomidating.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
The airlines truly hate their "customers". They only see them as $$$.

Most airlines right now are lucky to even be in business.

United is the key word in this thread. They're not very friendly when it comes to doing anything for their customers.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
Southwest is very accomidating.

Alaskan has treated my wife very well also.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we recently flew Southwest and they were actually very good. I would use them again for sure.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s nuts, probably hoping that the majority of customers won’t notice?
Has anyone flown Delta recently? Do they still put the giant zip tie cuffs around your luggage with the gun that takes a good blade to cut off?
Getting into my bag, getting mags loaded, gun charged and finally holstered all in a toilet stall is the most rediculous I’ve felt in a long time. Having to defeat the zip ties to do it just added to the experience,

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
When my Dad died, I had a terrible experience with United where they left early and so we missed the flight to get to my Mom and help her.

When I asked the counter woman at United what they could do for us, she said "nothing" and turned off the lights and walked away.

Alaska Airlines took care of us with no problems, though.

We decided never to use United again.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
United

Well there's your problem.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Indeed. The skies are friendly, but United hates you (and me too)....

quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:
United

Well there's your problem.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
The last time we flew to Germany we had seats reserved on United. To make a long story short, the plane had pulled away from the terminal (10 minutes early) and of course they would not call it back. I demanded my money back go some argument and pulled out my frequent flyer card (with more than 100K miles.) did not help so we went to the KLM counter, explained the situation that due to the United fiasco we no longer had enough cash to pay for 3 seats. One for a 6 month old infant. KLM clerk promptly said that it was no problem, as we could hold the baby in our laps. Turned out the flight had about 20 passengers on it, so lots of empty seats. Decided then not to ever fly united again, even for business travel. Never regretted it, and never looked back. Had nearly 1 million miles when I quit flying. IBM was very generous about putting me on airlines with very short notice. Including flights to North Africa to inspect vendors.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter flew on a foreign based airline and paid extra for a window seat. It was a very long flight back to the US. She boarded, to find a man in her seat. She advised him that he was in her seat and he refused to move. She advised a flight attendant, who replied "In our culture we respect our elders" and did nothing. No offer to reassign, no refund, zip. I don't know how far she took it, but I would have raised hell with the airline.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AA did that to my daughter with a prepaid baggage charge when she had to change a flight. I called them and the first person I spoke with could not have been more a C&NT if she tried so I hung up and emailed them....I got an apology and was told just show the recept when you get to airport and they wil honor it

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:

My daughter flew on a foreign based airline and paid extra for a window seat. It was a very long flight back to the US. She boarded, to find a man in her seat. She advised him that he was in her seat and he refused to move. She advised a flight attendant, who replied "In our culture we respect our elders" and did nothing. No offer to reassign, no refund, zip. I don't know how far she took it, but I would have raised hell with the airline.
I would have absolutely no problem replying, "In my culture, we expect to receive what we pay for. Anything less is theft. Does your culture condone theft?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post