SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who dont answer the question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who dont answer the question Login/Join 
posted
Im the unofficial IT person at work. I have a basic knowledge of computers and common sense.

The front desk clerk texts me and says the password prompt screen is not popping up. I reply did you restart the computer. She replies I just got in and im trying to get caught up from the weekend.

So I come to her computer and ask again if she restarted the computer. She says this was the screen when I came in... blah blah was the last person who was logged in.

Ok. Restart the computer. Click that little circle in the lower left corner. Lower, lower, no, to the left, further left, ok, now down, no, not in program files. The little circle, you just were just on it. Stop scrolling the mouse wheel. The circle. Yes there. Now restart.

Would you believe after the restart the password prompt screen appeared.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:

The front desk clerk texts me and says the password prompt screen is not popping up. I reply did you restart the computer. She replies I just got in and im trying to get caught up from the weekend.
I have been known to go into the "broken record" mode, in which I keep asking the question until either it is answered, or the other party gets tired of communicating with me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Next time tell her to check for kinks in the power cord.
You'll probably find her still under her desk when you get there.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Ha. I stare at them as well, my favorite is when they answer my question with a question Mad

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have my pet peeves but this one is a major psychotic hatred of mine.

It happens a lot when I am asked to fix someones car.
Me: What year is your car?
Idiot: It's a Kia Rio.
Me: Yes, you already told me the make and model. What is the year?
Idiot: It only stalls out when it gets hot. What do you think is causing that?
Me: I have no idea yet. I need to know the model year so I know what engine I'm dealing with.
Idiot: The engine runs really great when it's cold.
Me: .....good luck with that. walks off shaking head

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
"Fill in the blank" as needed...

I found the problem. It is the loose nut behind the "wheel/monitor/trigger/etc.".

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Me: I have no idea yet. I need to know the model year so I know what engine I'm dealing with.
What color is it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

What color is it?

Idiot: Albuquerque

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I find the "three 'R's of Microsoft Problem Resolution" work almost 100% of the time:
  • Reboot
  • Reinstall
  • Replace

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem is the interface between the keyboard and the chair.

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Those damned ID10T errors are a bitch to deal with...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain and completely understand. Frown

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I do troubleshooting for a living. I can't get a straight answer to save my life. Even to a question as simple as, have you tried replacing the light bulbs? Had that one today in fact, no problems I could find other than dead light bulbs.

My other fun one, "can you describe the problem?" "I don't know that is your job." "No, ma'am, I fix the problem if you just tell me where and what the problem is." "Just check the whole house." "Sorry ma'am, we didn't schedule enough time today to check your entire 5,000 sqft home for problems that you can't identify, call us back when you know what's not working."

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
The problem is the interface between the keyboard and the chair.

We had an acronym for that: PEBCAK. Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I work on web applications.
Often, I am handed a fire drill that has to be my "top priority".
The ticket often contains a screenshot of the application, with no URL. The application is for dozens of clients. Each is slightly different based on the client.

Q: Which client is having the problem?
A: The application is broken.

Q: What are the steps to get the problem to occur?
A: There is a small screenshot attached to the ticket and the application is broken.

Q: Has the QA team been able to reproduce the steps to get the problem to occur?
A: The application is broken and the client wants to know when it will be fixed.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I work in maintenance. Lots of times, after all the above mentioned verbal acrobatics, I get it fixed and then I’m asked “what did you do?”
My answer “what did I do? I fixed it. That’s what you called me for, right?”

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain.Try getting people to describe events, vehicles or suspects so can you investigate something. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Ok. Restart the computer. Click that little circle in the lower left corner. Lower, lower, no, to the left, further left, ok, now down, no, not in program files. The little circle, you just were just on it. Stop scrolling the mouse wheel. The circle. Yes there. Now restart.
That describes TO A TEE what it's like instructing my mother to click on something plainly on the screen. Hallelujah! Holy shit! Where's the Tylenol?!?!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
My corollary bitch is when I answer the phone at the store and the caller says "I have a question". I immediately reply "I have an answer". That usually confuses them. Mission accomplished.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
PICNIC:
Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post