SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who dont answer the question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who dont answer the question Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Oh lord yes, Been there done that plenty before I retired!

Problem is I still deal with it almost daily with the wife. Bless her heart... She can't give a straight answer to ANY question, and she is incapable of simply using "Yes", "No" or " "I don't know" as an answer.

Just as bad are the ones who speculate as to the fix in detail and what you need to do instead of just factually explaining the actual symptoms/issue. I have been know to tell someone that they don't need me then, sounds like they have it all under control.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Not only computers, but aircraft as well. For example pilot enters squawk

"APU Inop"

As a mechanic, got several questions for this college kid

#1 Inop during APU start?
#2 Inop during engine start?
#3 Inop as in auto-shutdown?

Not just computers guys. . .

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
the caller says "I have a question". I immediately reply "I have an answer".

When people say "Can I ask a question?", I reply "You just did." They typically vapor lock.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
This seems to be a common failing in people no matter the situation. One day my head will just explode into a fine red mist and I’ll be saved from the bullshit. Most of the time I keep repeating the question I asked and after it’s no longer amusing to hear a different answer each time I walk the offending person through the acceptable responses.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
"Fill in the blank" as needed...

I found the problem. It is the loose nut behind the "wheel/monitor/trigger/etc.".

This is called layer 8 in the IT world.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
the caller says "I have a question". I immediately reply "I have an answer".

In person, my reply is "I have a blank stare". Follow by an actual blank stare.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
So many times while working the "help desk" did my request for the customer service rep to shut down/restart the PC result in a power off/on of the damn monitor.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The one that gets me fairly frequently.

Me: Is it A, or B?

User: Yes

Me: Confused

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
Not only computers, but aircraft as well. For example pilot enters squawk

"APU Inop"

As a mechanic, got several questions for this college kid

#1 Inop during APU start?
#2 Inop during engine start?
#3 Inop as in auto-shutdown?

Not just computers guys. . .

Tinyman
Yeah, and when we do write up an 8 line description, the sign off is often, "Event log clear, ground test OK, could not duplicate." Wink

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
The hardest problems to fix are usually caused by faulty wetware and not hardware or software issues.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post