SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bagging leaves
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bagging leaves Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

I used to use the Binford 6000 Four Wheel Drive Electric Start Leaf Sucker, collect every leaf on the place and compost them (the sucker also ground them up).

A while back I blew the motor up on it and sold the 4 wheeler so now I'm down to a corded Toro blower/vac and just suck up the ones under the big maple in the back yard so they don't mat down and kill the grass. It does a nice job of grinding as well, and claims a 16:1 reduction in volume.

That's probably a bit optimistic, but it still makes nice compost and it DOES reduce the number of bags.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I live in the country surrounded by trees, I run the mower with mulching blades over them and leave them in the yard. Works well enough and I'm not hauling them around.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rake mine and rake the neighbors and could use more. Put them on garden areas, the blueberry's and any bare patch of dirt. Keeps it weed free.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The city picks up if we leave it by the street, but last week it rained everyday and the grounds been wet. It's going to snow tomorrow. The backyard is still too soft and wet to use the tractor. I'm going to have to push mow it today and dump the leaves by the street. Only to have it covered in snow and the city won't pick up till next month. I wish the wind didn't blow everything into my yard.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear that. We didn't plant any palms here for that very reason, though quite a few of our neighbors did, and now they suffer the expensive yearly trim.

When I lived in AZ we paid Mexicans 10-20 bucks and some beer to "trim de palms?". Made them haul the shit away in their jalopies, too.

quote:
14 bags? You're a piker. Last time I bagged my leaves for disposal, the count was over 50. These days I hire it done.

86 30 gallon bags so far, at least 50 more to go. My city, in their infinite wisdom, decided to halt the vacuum program due to "environmental concerns". They will however pick up the leaves if they are gift wrapped in paper bags.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing worse than bagging wet leaves is riding a motorcycle over wet leaves.

Wet leaves are slicker than snot on Ice.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took it easy this year. Because of my recent Heart Surgery I wasn't able to do my normal 40 hard packed bags of leaves. So, I hired a handyman to do it for me. Only cost me 130 bucks and they had all 40 bags packed and parked at the curb in only 2 hours. At that price I may have it done next year, because that is one chore I've developed a real loathing for.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfpacker:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Very windy here. Problem solved.

Been very windy here as well. My leaves maybe in another county by now!

Yeah, windy here, too. Only thing it accomplished was to blow the damned leaves back out of the woods and on to the lawn areas.

Snowing here now, and had some rain yesterday and last night. Maybe that will keep the leaves back in the woods.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well, so much for getting the rest of my leaves raked up and out to the curb now that it's snowing like it's dead-of-winter January 15th instead of it being fall November 15th.

They are all going to be under 5-6 inches of snow and ice.

Screw it then, they can stay that way until spring, and who the hell knows when that will be given the schizophrenic weather of this year. July? Mad

Posts: 33605 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm done using the mower to gather leaves! Gas tank is empty, put in new oil, it's about to enter hibernation. All OUR leaves are gone, I know some will blow in and I may rake up a few more here and there. Our city has free bag pickup until the end of the month.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t bag them, I wait til they all fall and get crispy them I run over them with my mower(except what I use for mulch) til they are a powder, food for the lawn.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwright1951:
I don’t bag them, I wait til they all fall and get crispy them I run over them with my mower(except what I use for mulch) til they are a powder, food for the lawn.

I do that when there are just a few leaves, but when the entire yard is covered I mow them into bags. And then do it again several times.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Didn’t think I’d get them done this year with snow and rain lately. Using my 50” Cub with bagger takes most of work out of it. That is until you got to jump off and dump the 3 bags every 5 minutes. Still easier than raking.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Didn’t think I’d get them done this year with snow and rain lately. Using my 50” Cub with bagger takes most of work out of it. That is until you got to jump off and dump the 3 bags every 5 minutes. Still easier than raking.

My snow all finally melted away, exposing all the billion leaves yet to be raked. I'll be doing that Thanksgiving morning in the 25 degree (20-25 degrees below normal for this time of year) weather, Yay me.

This weather has been beyond fucked up the entire past year.

Posts: 33605 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
I really despise this annual tradition. What makes it worse for me is that I have no woods to dump them into and my neighbor directly behind me and the neighbor to my left don't pick up leaves at all. So with a good wind, I still have leaves.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife used the shop vac to sweep up ours yesterday. Weird, but it worked.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post