SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bagging leaves
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bagging leaves Login/Join 
posted
Generally I don't mind as I'm retired with lots of spare time. I have a push mower with a detachable bag, from there the leaves go into paper bags. The city picks up the bags weekly (free in Oct & Nov), or I can take them to a compost facility (also free Oct & Nov). Dry leaves generate a little dust, but the bags are light.

However, I HATE WET LEAVES!!! This morning was free pickup day so I wanted to put out lots of bags. Unfortunately, we got a light rain yesterday but I kept going and put ten HEAVY bags out on the curb.

And left a horrible mess on the mower. And my old sneakers. And in the mower bag. The mess got worse today when I generated four more wet, heavy bags I'll take to the drop off site.

"Sigmund, why not wait?"

The forecast. Tomorrow would be a good day, but I've got other stuff going on.

https://www.kwqc.com/content/misc/417804673.html

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What is this leaf dropping you speak of....

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My borough will come around with a truck that sucks them up if you get them to the street in a pile which is nice. I rake them onto a tarp then gather it up and walk it to the curb.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
However, I HATE WET LEAVES!!!

Word.

My yard is covered in leaves, but my schedule and the weather can't seem to get on the same page. When I have time to deal with it, it's either raining or just rained. When it's dry, I don't have time to deal with it.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pro tip: If you just leave them there in the yard for several hundred years they become rich, high quality soil.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My borough will come around with a truck that sucks them up if you get them to the street in a pile which is nice. I rake them onto a tarp then gather it up and walk it to the curb.

Nobody from gubbermint picks up leaves around here. We measure our fallen leaves in cubic miles. Rake them onto a tarp and drag them back up into the trees and dump them. We don't mow or mulch them, just makes a bigger mess.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very windy here. Problem solved.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now pay someone to do things I no longer want to do. It took me a long time to decide to do this given my upbringing, but it is decidedly worth it. I now spend a few minutes telling the yard guy what to do and then send him a check. I am also empathetic when he tell me his back hurts and the leaves make him sneeze.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
What is this leaf dropping you speak of....

Yeah, but every year a tree guy has to climb up with a chain saw and cut off the dead fronds from the bottom. And they are much bigger and heavier than they look from the ground.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Very windy here. Problem solved.

Been very windy here as well. My leaves maybe in another county by now!

Posts: 792 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I run a mulching mower set up. When the leaves come I just mulch them up-gone. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
I run a mulching mower set up. When the leaves come I just mulch them up-gone. Chris

You must not get many leaves! I can get away with that early in the season or if I hit the yard daily, but now if I go more than a day I HAVE to bag them up.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no one takes care of my leaves but me. I blow them into a bunch of piles and put the rake on the tractor and pull them into the trees.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I have discovered that if I just let the leaves lay where they fall, by springtime they're gone.

No problem. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bagging leaves

Rock band name on the rez.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I like falling leaves. Signals a cooling and is a oman that winter is looming. All things that I like. We don't have ton's of them. A couple of smaller maples. I rake up and compost and use for mulch for the small garden. It is all good in my book. Signals and end and a beginning.
Let it rain, let it snow, let the longer darkness prevail. Let the earth rest and restore it's self. . In my mind it is natures way and also a way for humans to do the same. I love it. My story.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Yeah, but every year a tree guy has to climb up with a chain saw and cut off the dead fronds from the bottom. And they are much bigger and heavier than they look from the ground.

Yep, but it ain't me, I'm in the lawn chair with a corona and a check!

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
14 bags? You're a piker. Last time I bagged my leaves for disposal, the count was over 50. These days I hire it done.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Yep, but it ain't me, I'm in the lawn chair with a corona and a check!

I hear that. We didn't plant any palms here for that very reason, though quite a few of our neighbors did, and now they suffer the expensive yearly trim. I was outside the LGS once when the guy was trimming the palms by the church next door. He had some laying on the ground loading his pickup. Man they were big and heavy.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
14 bags? You're a piker. Last time I bagged my leaves for disposal, the count was over 50. These days I hire it done.

Clarification: The 14 was on two consecutive days. I did dozens before those and will do a few more (probably 6-8) before I quit for the season.

I'm retired and don't mind doing the work. It helps to complain here. Smile