SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Product diversity

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Product diversity Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
It isn’t my responsibility or decision about what manufacturers produce or stores stock, so I guess this isn’t really a complaint, but I’m still amazed by the incredible proliferation of very similar products. I never saw it long ago when I was young, but now entire sections of shelves are covered with different varieties of stuff that are almost the same.

I recently saw 6 or more feet of shelf space with 17 different textures and scents of one brand and size of deodorant. Tide laundry detergent is available in three or four different sizes, and in HE, non-HE, with bleach, without bleach, with odor killer and bleach, with odor killer only, without, with dye and odor to give it color and scent, without dye and odor, and no doubt things I’ve forgotten. This isn’t only in mega stores either: My local small supermarket that doesn’t have all that many rows of actual food nevertheless had 42 varieties (including different packaging) of cucumber pickles the last time I looked, and that was only a couple/three brands.

I sometimes think it might be nice to have more different products available rather than every possible version of one product.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 37143 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I agree that things like laundry detergent are out of control. I'll take the concentrated version that's on sale, please. I'm not even sure why they sell the non-concentrated version anymore, you're buying 2 gallons of liquid with 16oz of actual soap, vs just buying 16oz of soap (you're filling the tub with water anyway, right?).

But don't mess with the pickle selection, man! Stacker slices in dill, spicy and bread&butter chips, sweet relish, and dill spears please.

Posts: 5360 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Report This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Six feet? Have you been down the cereal and cookie aisle lately. Big Grin
Or shopped for sneakers on the Net?

Posts: 3844 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Oy.

Every try to find a can of just plain chicken noodle soup?

Diet, heart healthy, low fat, low salt, organic, big noodles, little noodles, chunky...

Posts: 9547 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I agree...back in the day if I stopped by the store to pick up eggs or milk...I picked up a dozed eggs or a gallon of milk Smile...

NOW...you have to choose from free range, brown, white, grain fed, meat fed (just kidding), Egg Lands Best, Omega 3, low cholesterol...now you must choose what egg package...styrofoam (bad), plastic with lids that flip three ways (less "bad" than evil styrofoam) or paper mâché ("best") Frown...

Milk...1%, 2%, whole, almond (how do you milk an almond...little udders?), milk from "happy cows", milk from "sad cows" (buttermilk?), organic, milk from grass fed cows...the only thing missing is milk from cows that feed only on Taco Bell tacos...

The list goes on and on...

You used to only worry about broken eggs in the tray or sour milk in the carton...now it's a life changing purchase Eek

Don't even get me started on gun powder and primers for reloading!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 7223 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
...laundry detergent is available in three or four different sizes, and in HE, non-HE...

High Explosive detergent? What a great idea!

Posts: 12203 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Toothpaste used to be regular or mint!

Posts: 50 | Location: mason, ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Report This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
...laundry detergent is available in three or four different sizes, and in HE, non-HE...

Blast the dirt away with HE KABOOM!

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 7128 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Report This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I'm hung up on OP's use of the term "cucumber pickles". Yes, I know lots and lots of things can be pickled, and I'm familiar with pickling cucumbers, but isn't it the case that 99% of the pickle-eating world will assume by default that when you reference "pickles", you are, in fact, referring to pickled cucumbers?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 14450 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 16, 2006Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
[B]ut isn't it the case that 99% of the pickle-eating world will assume by default that when you reference "pickles", you are, in fact, referring to pickled cucumbers?

Possibly, but the point of this thread was to comment about the large number of different varieties of basically the same product. When I cited the number (the ultimate answer—42) I wanted it to be clear that I wasn’t larding and thereby exaggerating my observation by including other types of pickles. Smile

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 37143 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I'm hung up on OP's use of the term "cucumber pickles". Yes, I know lots and lots of things can be pickled, and I'm familiar with pickling cucumbers, but isn't it the case that 99% of the pickle-eating world will assume by default that when you reference "pickles", you are, in fact, referring to pickled cucumbers?

-Rob

My grandmother would pickle just about anything in the veggie group. Pickled cauliflower anyone?

Personally i have tend to have 4 or 5 types of pickled cukes at any one time. The longer they sit in the jar the better/spicier they get.

Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.

Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.

Posts: 8345 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a plot. when you finally find the specific item your wife sent you to the store for, they know you'll need a six-pack to decompress.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 655 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Report This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
One day, while I was trying to decide which brand and flavor of cereal to buy someone behind me said, "I know what to buy. I just don't see it; there are too many choices. I'm going blind looking for it."
I reply to him, "Yeah, it didn't used to be like this."
When I turned to leave, I realized the guy wasn't talking to me. He was on his cell phone.

Posts: 3620 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Report This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
It's a plot. when you finally find the specific item your wife sent you to the store for, they know you'll need a six-pack to decompress.

HA !

Get this: My wife sent me to the store (in the snow) with a grocery list that included "cous cous" or however you spell it. I looked and looked - finally had to ask the manager and he guessed wrong first try and got the right aisle on the second guess...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 2724 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:

HA !

Get this: My wife sent me to the store (in the snow) with a grocery list that included "cous cous" or however you spell it. I looked and looked - finally had to ask the manager and he guessed wrong first try and got the right aisle on the second guess...

its near the rice.

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 7128 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

Farmers love HE detergent for getting the racing strips out of their underwear. I like the Farmers Brand! Big Grin

"Donald Trump is the grizzly bear in The Revenant. If you get his attention, he’ll be awake, bite your face off, and sit on you.".. Newt Gingrich.

Posts: 9486 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Start at 0:42

Posts: 1190 | Location: Central TX | Registered: June 17, 2003Report This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
1) Mfgrs think we're idiots
2) mfgrs work with retailers for maximum shelf space; more product skus is more shelf space even though there is no real difference between skus. Deals made on the golf course.
3) retail buyers are not doing their jobs in getting products that people want or what maximizes profit but rather reflect what deals are made on the golf course.

It's why I like Costco - they have buyers who do reasonable jobs. It's why I like Prime because I dont care about shelf space. I just wish they would get rid of all the shit made in China.

Most supermarkets try to make us think we have lots of choices. But it's really just a handful of companies with the same products under different names.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy

Posts: 6623 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I was beyond happy when the "normal" manufacturers started putting the "Free of dyes and perfumes" detergent on the shelf, and I didn't have to buy it at Costco in the giant jug. The regular, scented crap about kills me. I can barely go down the soap aisle at the supermarket due to the damn smell. I don't want shampoo that smells (I can tolerate the cheap shampoo I buy that is called "Daily Clarifying", but if I can't find it, I have to buy unscented stuff at the beaut supply store for 5x+ what the Suave stuff costs), I don't want dishwasher soap that smells(even the lemon stuff annoys me), and fabric softener is something I avoid, even the so called "unscented" sheets have a smell I don't like. Air fresheners have no place in my life. My deodorant is unscented. I hate going to a friend's house because his wife has that poupurri crap in every room, and even their dog has some kind of perfume scent. I would rather smell wet dog than the crap she puts on him.

But as far as soap and that stuff goes that I do buy, I buy the cheapest stuff there is when it's on sale. When there is a deal, I buy three or four bottles of it.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Report This Post