SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lousy foil and food film boxes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lousy foil and food film boxes Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I got darned tired of the lousy boxes that aluminum foil and food film come in. They cut poorly, tend to disintegrate, and the rolls lift out of the box as you get near the end. And I buy premium products:
* Reynolds Wrap “Heavy Duty”
* Saran “Premium Wrap”
rather than bargain brands.

I finally looked on Amazon to see if better boxes were available – found lots of them, bought this pair:

www.amazon.com/dp/B0732CBHHY/r..._api_i_mfXeBbCEBRREN

Others were less expensive, but these had better reviews, and I’ve purchased other Kuhn Rikon products that were of good quality. This box much more durable, does a much better job cutting the foil/film, and the roll is securely latched in. Here’s a link to another Amazon site offering the same product, which has a video (scroll down a ways) that demonstrates use:

www.amazon.com/dp/B019RSP3NO/r..._api_i_WvXeBb4MMPWDJ

Three caveats:
#1 – The box doesn’t take large rolls.
#2 – The knife edge that cuts the foil is damned sharp. I cut my finger while peeling an adhesive label out of the box.
#3 – Don’t know how long the knife edge will stay sharp.

But it sure beats the cardboard store boxes.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great idea, but pretty expen$ive.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
We use the little "push tabs" on the ends of the boxes to keep the rolls in the box. YMMV.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Good photo! Thanks for taking the time to make it.

I did push in the box end tabs – didn’t work consistently well for me through the whole roll. Maybe my “pushing-in” technique wasn’t good, but it’s academic now – the Kuhn Rikon locks the rolls in place securely, yet allows them to turn freely.

And the sheet-cutting is so neat – see the video in the second link of my OP. Before, when trying to cut off a sheet of cling film (using the serrated edge of the box), part of the sheet would often fold over onto another part – impossible to separate.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Wink

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I purchase the same products but from a kitchen supply store ( Gordon Food Services -GFS ), their products are made to be restaurant grade, when it says heavy duty they mean it !

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
I purchase the same products but from a kitchen supply store ( Gordon Food Services -GFS ), their products are made to be restaurant grade, when it says heavy duty they mean it !
I've been buying the heavy duty kitchen grade boxes from Costco for many years. The box is sturdy, the foil is sturdy, and best of all it's 18" wide which IMO is better than 12" wide.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
That looks great, may try some... but does the box actually have enough weight to it to sit still while you pull out the product. Some rolls take some effort to unspool like cling wrap or press and seal.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks, in part, to its non-skid feet, the box remains in place when I pull a sheet of aluminum foil out horizontally, as seen in the video.

But not so with Saran Wrap – the box will skid somewhat. No problem though – here’s my technique: I pinch each of the two exposed corners with thumb and forefinger of two hands to keep the sheet flat, then pull straight up, rather than out horizontally. When I have a sufficient length of film out, I lower the film to a horizontal position and release it. Then I close the lid of the box smartly to neatly cut the film.

Serious about crackers

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^
Thanks, in part, to its non-skid feet, the box remains in place when I pull a sheet of aluminum foil out horizontally, as seen in the video.

But not so with Saran Wrap – the box will skid somewhat. No problem though – here’s my technique: I pinch each of the two exposed corners with thumb and forefinger of two hands to keep the sheet flat, then pull straight up, rather than out horizontally. When I have a sufficient length of film out, I lower the film to a horizontal position and release it. Then I close the lid of the box smartly to neatly cut the film.

Thanks sir.

Once again the forum has cost me $. Smile

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

This, from a guy that would fly a Bonanza out to pick up a dozen bagels? Smile

“Small batch hand-made bagels?

Where y'at? What part of Florida? How long will it take me to drive from the Orlando area? How close is your friend's shop to the nearest airport?”

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6370036934/p/3

Serious about crackers

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

This, from a guy that would fly a Bonanza out to pick up a dozen bagels? Smile

“Small batch hand-made bagels?

Where y'at? What part of Florida? How long will it take me to drive from the Orlando area? How close is your friend's shop to the nearest airport?”

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6370036934/p/3
Clearly, you have never been a Flight Instructor.

Here's how it works: My trainees are required to fly someplace. The trip, and how the trip is managed, is more important than the destination.

So, if I have Something Important to do, like pick up a dozen fresh small batch hand made bagels, that destination is as good as any other. Better, maybe.

This way, the trainee gets his / her flight accomplished, the bagel maker sells another dozen, and V-Tail gets his bagels and gets paid for the trip. Everybody wins!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Ah so… Smile

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using this pair of Kuhn Rikon foil and film holders for awhile now. As with my two UpLULAs, I wouldn’t want to be without them. They’re wonderful!

Serious about crackers