SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Biggest Ants I Have ever seen just invaded!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest Ants I Have ever seen just invaded! Login/Join 
posted
Huge black ants with 1/2" bodies (not exaggerating). Last week I killed one on the bathroom floor. This morning as I was stepping in the shower I saw 2 staring at me. They did not run as I picked them up in toliet paper & flushed their sorry asses. Found another later today. The bathroom is on the 3rd floor of my townhome. How do you get rid of such monsters?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
They sound like carpenter ants, which infest when there is a leak/water damage in your home. They can do an incredible amount of damage. Your best bet is to hire an exterminator to check for an infestation.

Posts: 2934 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Some kind of carpenter ants I'd guess. We see some in the house from time to time. Generally more than one, they seem to send out exploration squads. An interested pet may investigate and get nipped for it's effort. Said pet will steer clear of them after that.

They're getting in somehow. There are many bug defense sprays you can apply outside the house, they need to be refreshed every so often. Sticky ant traps here and there may give you an idea where they're getting in.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
According to a documentary film I first saw as a teenager, you need a Thompson sub-machine gun, a bazooka firing cyanide gas canisters, and a flamethrower.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
According to a documentary film I first saw as a teenager

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Maybe they were sent here from another planet by aliens who won't deal with their own unsavory types, knowing we'll squash them without a second thought...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
squash them without a second thought.

Squash hell, my 458 Socom is at the ready!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you'll likely want to call in a professional to figure out where they're coming from and how to keep them out, and to treat your home if they've already moved in. Like termites, carpenter ants can do serious damage to your home.

As mentioned, they're most often found in homes with water leaks, since they target water-damaged rotting wood.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush: How do you get rid of such monsters?

One solution for this problem is to put a lock on the refrigerator door!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Take the carpenter ant recommendation seriously. I had major damage to my first house from them. They entered through a wet header that held the outside deck, ate the main beam in the crawl space under my family room such that the floor went spongy, and ate the sill under the front of the house. Replacement was expensive. I had an exterminator treat the place, and the floor of my crawlspace was absolutely covered with dead ants.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tk13:
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
According to a documentary film I first saw as a teenager

Only found in New Mexico and Los Angeles though so far.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
the floor of my crawlspace was absolutely covered with dead ants.

and now I have the theme song from The Pink Panther stuck in my head....

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Expert308:
According to a documentary film I first saw as a teenager, you need a Thompson sub-machine gun, a bazooka firing cyanide gas canisters, and a flamethrower.

I saw the same documentary. It was called "Them" Google it.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Expert308:

I saw the same documentary. It was called "Them" Google it.

And a '54 Ford!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post