SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This Is (One of the) Reasons I Don't Like Windows 10
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Is (One of the) Reasons I Don't Like Windows 10 Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I'm a Mac/Unix/Linux guy at heart, but Windows in the workplace is a reality, so I need to know and use it as well.

To that end, I bought a Lenovo "Yoga" laptop (the kind where the screen flips all the way over, becoming an easel, with touchscreen). It came with Windows 10 Professional and I've updated to the latest "1903" version.

But even before the update, one thing that would drive me nuts is that the computer would randomly restart. Seriously. The thing is just sitting there and all of a sudden it goes into reboot mode.

Thank goodness it isn't s business computer. I'd return it to the IT people and demand a working machine!

But here's the real rub: This isn't an unknown problem! I've searched Google, Bing and DuckDuckGo repeatedly, and while there are a lot of problem reports, not one of the "solutios" I've seen actually works! Even Microsoft's TechNet has multiple suggestions, KB articles and proposed remedies, up to an including re-installing the OS (yeah, thank you, Microsoft: reboot, re-install and replace. Those are always your answers).

I get it, trying to support an endless combination of hardware combinations can mean one size doesn't fit all. However, Linux doesn't seem to have this problem...

Around thirty years ago, Apple Macintoshes had some conflicts with startup extensions, and there were ways to isolate the bad one(s) easily. It seems in thirty years, Microsoft would have come up with a way to do the same. But they haven't.

So, it's good thing I have Netflix and Prime, because I can spend hours watching videos while I troubleshoot this thing. Grrrr.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Do you have active hours set up? Prevents restarts due to updates during a set time period.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have a now old Windows 7 machine. I've been resisting Windows 10. But MS is EOLing Win 7 at the end of the year. I may have to go to 10 either with or without gut renovating the PC.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a now old Windows 7 machine. I've been resisting Windows 10. But MS is EOLing Win 7 at the end of the year. I may have to go to 10
Why would you have to go to 10? If 7 does everything you need now, it will not stop functioning just because MS stops issuing updates.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
I have a now old Windows 7 machine. I've been resisting Windows 10. But MS is EOLing Win 7 at the end of the year. I may have to go to 10
Why would you have to go to 10? If 7 does everything you need now, it will not stop functioning just because MS stops issuing updates.

The biggest problem with EOL is the lack of updated security patches. It’s more about security than functionality. This is particularly true for enterprise applications.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The biggest problem with EOL is the lack of updated security patches. It’s more about security than functionality. This is particularly true for enterprise applications.

-Rob

What he said. Asshole hackers won't stop writing viruses and the like for Win7 just because it's EOL'd, but Microsoft will stop issuing security updates.

I also run Win7 Pro at home, but we've been on Win10 now at the office for a while and (once you figure out where they moved everything Mad) it works pretty well. I'll probably be upgrading to Win10 at home before the end of the year. Hopefully I won't have to buy a new machine for it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post