SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chiggers!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chiggers! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Oh. My. GOSH! The itching! It never frickin' stops! Mad

I scratch like a dog with fleas (not the right thing to do, I know). I scratch until I bleed. I shower, scrub, apply alcohol, drink (yeah, that doesn't address the cause, but...), scratch, later-rinse-repeat.

GAAAAHHH!!! Mad Make it stop!!!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Try some hydrocortisone cream.

I got nailed by fire ants at the range yesterday, the anti-itch cream helps a lot.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chiggers burrow into the skin. Usually around the belt area. Takes a while for the body to expel them. Meanwhile, try to tolerate the itch.

That's my experience from a Chigger assault at a camp ground outside Cincinnati Ohio, many years ago.

Little Bastards left their mark on my skin for several months.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention itchy little critter, VT. We had birds nest in our eaves; they're gone, but now wifey is worried (rightly I think) about a bird mite infestation. Exterminators were out, but not sure they did the right thing, trying to get more info now.
So we're not itching yet, but if it starts, we won't get to see our granddaughter for a month or so and that would not be good (our daughter lived through a bird mite episode).

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The first time I ran into chiggers I got a bunch.
I consulted a medical book I had, all it said was "Chiggers itch so much, it's hard to keep from scratching them". Roll Eyes

The best advice I have is try to figure where chiggers might be and don't go there. After that first time - 50 bites, 75, ? -- I've never had more than a small few but yeah, even one is too many.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atarax might help. Call you doctor for a script.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Common myth that they burrow into the skin. They still totally suck though. Cortisone or calamine lotion.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Chigarid, the ONLY thing that works.

Available at (shudder) WALMART and many other places Smile
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chi...sic-0-5-oz/169280203

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I visited a friend at a campground a couple years ago and got nailed by chiggers. Campho-Phenique works great and has pretty much the same main ingredients as chigger-specific meds. Campho-Phenique is usually easy to find in drug stores, Walmart, etc. It definitely helps with the demonic itching.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Tiny little creatures from Satan!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Is using nail polish to suffocate them still considered valid?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
...Usually around the belt area...
I've read that they like to set up shop anywhere there is tight clothing so the elastic in your socks and more likely the elastic band in your underwear than due to the belt.
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Tiny little creatures from Satan!
IME, second only to fire ants in terms of bites in the US that itch insatiably for a long time.

Whatever that bastard was with a bazillion legs that bit me in the neck in Africa is the worst itch I've ever experienced. Our driver laughed when he saw what bit me and in broken English said, "you're going to be itching a lot." That was an understatement. Only time I've ever had to take steroids due to a bite.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
The best advice I have is try to figure where chiggers might be and don't go there.

Tall grass is one place to avoid.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
The best advice I have is try to figure where chiggers might be and don't go there.

Tall grass is one place to avoid.

I had them in my lawn the first time I lived in Houston even though my lawn was well manicured. Their home base was the dirtbag renters two doors down who only mowed about 6x per year. I sprayed or spread everything Lowe's and HD sold, but they would be back with a vengeance the instant the chemicals weakened. I had to put deep woods off from the waist down to go in my backyard.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

Is using nail polish to suffocate them still considered valid?

I've read several times today that it's not.

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Chigarid, the ONLY thing that works.

Available at (shudder) WALMART and many other places Smile

I'll head over there before work in the morning. (Maybe not ALL the crazies will be out at that early hour.) Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Chiggers are horrible! I won’t forget one day when I was driving from Lampassas, TX to Austin, TX and the car in front of me suddenly just swerved across the road and hit right into a very large old oak tree. Turned out the driver fell asleep. I quickly stopped and ran over to the car which was in a ditch wrapped around the tree. I was wearing a suit and the weeds were waist high. I ended up having the worst set of chigger bites in my life! I was literally covered from my ankles up to my waistline with bites in every square mm of my entire body in that area. It was horrible!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Never tried it but old timers claim powdered sulfur on the socks, waist band and other elastic works well.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Powdered sulfur in a sock and applying around your ankles and wast was the old standby when I was a kid. Now I use a spray bug repellent. Once when my kids were small I went to my in laws and picked blackberries, I used insect repellent but it was hot, I got rained on and did not re apply, I had them everywhere, ankles, behind knees, wast, arm pits, and even a few in my beard, contemplated driving my truck into a tree .

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Chiggers are horrible! I won’t forget one day when I was driving from Lampassas, TX to Austin, TX and the car in front of me suddenly just swerved across the road and hit right into a very large old oak tree. Turned out the driver fell asleep. I quickly stopped and ran over to the car which was in a ditch wrapped around the tree. I was wearing a suit and the weeds were waist high. I ended up having the worst set of chigger bites in my life! I was literally covered from my ankles up to my waistline with bites in every square mm of my entire body in that area. It was horrible!

No good deed goes unpunished

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mid 1970s 95B stationed at Presideo of San Francisco, training at Camp Roberts, removed helmet liner from steel pot, got hot water in steel pot for shaving. OD green helmet liner sitting on a rock, immediately covered in little red dots, now I know how "Chigger Hill" got it's name.

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 106 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: July 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post