SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chiggers!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chiggers! Login/Join 
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
Tall grass and low balls don't mix!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5059 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Chiggers burrow into the skin. Usually around the belt area. Takes a while for the body to expel them. Meanwhile, try to tolerate the itch.

That's my experience from a Chigger assault at a camp ground outside Cincinnati Ohio, many years ago.

Little Bastards left their mark on my skin for several months.

That is not true, and is a myth. Chiggers do not burrow in. They bite, inject some nasty saliva and feed on skin for a while. Then they drop off, but the stuff they inject into you makes the bite itch for days or even a week.

They do not need to be smothered or removed. They aren't there. Use bug repellent. (Sulphur used to be used but DEET is better.) Stay out of high grass - the cling to grass and grab on to mammals as they brush by. Tucking pants into socks and shirts into pants can help prevent them from getting to your skin. That is why the bites tend to congregate at the belt line, they can't get down into your pants.

I've never had much luck getting the itch to stop once they bite. The bastards just itch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vic40204
posted Hide Post
Bleach in the bath water worked for me and my ex.

Vic Johnson

Posts: 798 | Location: Augusta, Georgia. | Registered: February 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Caladryl, or, if you can find some in time, Apinol.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I got a bad case of those things on me a couple of years ago. Got me from the ankles all the way up to the hole and the pole. Was just trying to mow the tall grass down by the street from my property. Huge mistake. I now mow with a trash bag on each leg taped at the top with duct tape. Also, spray myself with deep woods off. I hope I never have to deal with those little bastards again.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Is using nail polish to suffocate them still considered valid?

No. They eat until full then drop off on their own. Happens pretty fast. They are probably already gone before you can kill them. The itch is a lingering allergic reaction to their saliva IIRC.

I hate to recommend this (don't burn yourself) but I shower the area with water as hot as I can stand it, then pat dry and coat with anti itch or aloe-vera. Gives a few to several hours of relief usually.

Benadryl may help.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Gold Bond anti itch cream works for me. I nearly lost my mind before I discovered Gold Bond. You have to reapply it every three to four hours but it works.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I missed the Walmart trip this morning, but there's aloe in the closet. Heading there now.

(Mumbles various foul words, scratching his ankles awkwardly as he heads down the hall....) Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I've had good results with lavender oil to relieve the itching.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vic40204:
Bleach in the bath water worked for me and my ex.

Eek

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
We used to spray down with Avon skin so soft. Ankles, belt line, arms etc. This prevented getting bites very well.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
..Chiggers do not burrow in. They bite, inject some nasty saliva and feed on skin for a while. Then they drop off, but the stuff they inject into you makes the bite itch for days or even a week.

Just relaying what my physician at the time told me that they dig into the skin and each bite area around my waist formed a small bump that lasted for several days and left a mark for several weeks. The itch was incredible, IMO worse than being bit by Skeeters.

Fortunately, it was the only time I got attacked by Chiggers.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post