SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Passing in the Shoulder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passing in the Shoulder Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Mad

Impatient, dangerous & needless when there's no real heavy traffic. All to jump 2-3 spots on the road.

Merging onto another highway yesterday, guy jumps in the closing merge lane & proceeds to pass 2-3 cars in the shoulder at around 20mph faster than we were moving.

Roll Eyes

I've done it in an emergency, guy pulled out in front of me (while I was at 60-70 mph on a 2 lane rd with barely car-width shoulders) and my choices were to hit him, move into oncoming traffic or pass on the shoulder.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Everything BUT the shoulder...
He didn't use the shoulder but I watched a guy make 5 lane changes on a bumper to bumper 4 lane Interstate to advance two spots in front of me. Cars were stacked up for as far as you could see and I figured he caused all that commotion to save maybe 3 seconds. Nope. I was wrong, just a few miles down the road I passed him back as he maneuvered to exit so he saved absoutly nothing.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
He didn't use the shoulder but I watched a guy make 5 lane changes on a bumper to bumper 4 lane Interstate to advance two spots in front of me. Cars were stacked up for as far as you could see and I figured he caused all that commotion to save maybe 3 seconds. Nope. I was wrong, just a few miles down the road I passed him back as he maneuvered to exit so he saved absoutly nothing.

Sounds Like every day traffic around here. Especially on the Rt. 234 Bypass. Speed limit is 55. If you drive at 55 you have a LOT of other drivers honking, waving their arms etc. Average actual speed is in excess of 70. Groups of cars 10-20 running bumper to bumper, both lanes. One of these days there will be a massive pile up. And that does not even consider the 18 wheelers that tailgate cars and other trucks

Today, I was on that road, saw SIX! 18 wheelers in one bunch. 3 in each lane, in what seemed to be some kind of sporting event. Had at least 100 cars backed up behind them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I'll pull into the shoulder to stop assholes. In heavy traffic you'll sit with the rest of us, fuckwit.

If you aren't an emergency vehicle, you don't do this.

I've also blocked traffic _for_ emergency vehicles, because I actually use my rear view mirrors.

People who pass on the shoulder, or who pull behind emergency vehicles ahead of where they were, should all be rounded up and used as road base.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Sometime a couple of years ago, I was in the right hand lane (to take the next exit), which was moving slowly, left lane was pretty clear. Semi in front of me, and I was not on the semi's bumper. Guy comes flying in the left lane, cuts between me and the semi to get to the shoulder to beat everybody else to the exit, and slammed full speed into the ass end of a semi stopped on the shoulder.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Killed a good friend of mine riding her bicycle on a wide shoulder. He was drunk, under age, and driving on a suspended license (DWI). He got 20 years.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just this morning, I stopped at a stop light. I was first in line. 2 cars behind me, an SUV pulls out into the shoulder, makes a right turn at the light, immediately pulls U-turn across double, double yellow solid lines to make another right turn (ie - to go straight ahead from where I am).

Light turns green 15 seconds later.

Some people......

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
One of the better times I observed Karma In Action was a to see a guy go barreling down the shoulder to bypass traffic and get to the turn lane. The sheriff's deputy he passed about three cars from the light wasn't amused. Whatever engagement the guy was late for, well I dare say he was quite a bit later.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
What you described isn't completely the shoulder - speed the heck up!

Yes, I'm kidding.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

Sounds Like every day traffic around here. Especially on the Rt. 234 Bypass. Speed limit is 55. If you drive at 55 you have a LOT of other drivers honking, waving their arms etc. Average actual speed is in excess of 70. Groups of cars 10-20 running bumper to bumper, both lanes. One of these days there will be a massive pile up. And that does not even consider the 18 wheelers that tailgate cars and other trucks

Today, I was on that road, saw SIX! 18 wheelers in one bunch. 3 in each lane, in what seemed to be some kind of sporting event. Had at least 100 cars backed up behind them.

From someone who has to occasionally drive a loaded 18 wheeler we are regulated to only drive 11 hours a day, mandatory 30 minute break before 8 hours and most company’s for insurance reasons govern us to 60-65 mph. Most of the drivers you see on the road get paid by the mile and not paid well. You’re talking 30-40 cents a mile. With a the regulations and governors a good week is 2400-3000 miles. After taxes not much money for the job.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
^^^ And...

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
After taxes not much money for the job

No bonus pennies for being an asshole?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Similar behavior, albeit not on a shoulder, happens every morning on I-64E just west of the Bryan Park interchange. The merge lane is avoided by most regular commuters, since we all know it ends. But, some people, "those" people, use the lane to zoom forward a dozen spaces.

I think we are disappointed in these people because of our innate sense of fair play, as well as a desire that community have greater importance than the self.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You forgot the ones using the service lane at exits to gain 20 to 100 car lengths. There should be an award for such stupidness.

One of the worst is the merge locations with an yield sign. Around here, they fail to yield and jam up the exit for ones getting off the road. I got a ticket for driving over the fog line to get around them last year which costs me $100.

The worst location is on I64 west at Charlottesville. I couldn't get off safely several years ago and had to go six miles to the next exit and circle back.

In the mid 70's, CA put stop lights at these merge locations to regulate incoming traffic.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I saw a new (to me) jackwad lane jumper trick the other day: Resort town, main drag, two lane, 35mph. I was first in line at a stop light with an empty left turn lane. When the light turned green, I heard a roar behind me and glanced at my rear view mirror. The jackwad was 4 cars behind me. He had floored his 4WD PU into the left turn lane and passed us all in the intersection!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Coming out of Dayton I saw and heard an AMG63 pass a car going 65 on the left shoulder.

I thought to myself....wow what a car.....then...what an asshole

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Watch some Russian driving videos on YouTube sometime. They pass everywhere and anywhere! Pretty much have wrecks everywhere too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had someone do this to me the other day -

I was on my vintage motorcycle, one lane in each direction, shoulder on each side.

I slowed to turn right into a parking lot. Before slowing this putz comes up on my butt. As I slow I put my arm up in the sign an “L” for a right turn. Remember those? No turn signals on my bike. Weren’t required in those days.

As I start to turn right this putz zooms by me, on the RIGHT. I’m not dead, but I could be.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post