SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dinty Moore Beef Stew – Where’s the beef?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dinty Moore Beef Stew – Where’s the beef? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Echoing the 1984 Wendy’s commercial.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where%27s_the_beef%3F

I used to have this beef stew fairly often, but it had fallen off my radar. Until I found an old 20 oz can in the back of a cupboard. It was darned good, so I bought two more cans last Saturday.

I opened one last Monday – what a disappointment! Only a few tiny pieces of beef and two carrot slices. It would be better described as beef-flavored potato stew. I fear that the second can, adjacent on the shelf will be the same.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's a shame. Dinty Moore Beef Stew used to be a pretty substantial meal. I used to love it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Like trying to find the bacon in cans of bbq beans.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Been a long time since I had Dinty Moore...

Now prefer Progresso, they have some of the best canned soups made, JMO.

https://www.progresso.com/products/?Soups=All_Soups

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It may simply be Dinty Moore cutting corners in general, or it may be a direct side effect of the current situation.

The meat industry was hit very hard by the pandemic shutdowns. Many of the largest meatpacking plants shut down or cut back for a long period, which caused a glut of "on the hoof" supply, which tanked prices. These tanked prices resulted in a number of ranchers simply giving away or euthanizing a large portion of their stock, since it was costing them more to feed them than they were able to get for the meat. This then tanked supply even once the plants reopened, which drove processed meat prices up pretty high.

To make it worse, even now a number of plants are only running at partial capacity, due to worker quarantines, lack of workers due to furloughed workers who found better jobs while off from the plant and never returned, etc. Plus the processed meat demand equation has shifted as well, with fewer restaurants ordering meat, but more home cooks buying meat, which made the preexisting supply calculations even wonkier, which takes time for the meat suppliers to analyze and incorporate into future production.

So all of those complication very well may have meant that Dinty Moore could have been forced to cut back on the amount of meat they were using in their product, due to the lower meat supply and increased meat cost resulting from the pandemic.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Been a long time since I had Dinty Moore...

<snip>

That looked like a good steer, but the site says: “Enjoy a hearty pot roast as a delicious soup”. I want stew rather than soup. Thanks anyway.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
That looked like a good steer, but the site says: “Enjoy a hearty pot roast as a delicious soup”. I want stew rather than soup. Thanks anyway.

get a can of Dinty Moore meatless Stew and Progresso Pot Roast, combine so you have a meaty
stew result LOL

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Just last month I re-up'd on Hormel turkey Chili which was reasonable in the past for a quick bowl. They too might be corner cutting because all 3 cans were like chili mush and hardly any noticeable turkey chunks like in the pre-pandemic stock. It was never the best choice, but did have noticeable turkey and was edible.

In the past I have purchased Progresso soups, they were all pretty good, may have to try them again as the soup bug just in the last couple of days have me thinking in that direction. Even thought about giving a good chili recipe a try again myself, I'm definitely a chili hound to the end.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I opened one last Monday – what a disappointment! Only a few tiny pieces of beef and two carrot slices. It would be better described as beef-flavored potato stew. I fear that the second can, adjacent on the shelf will be the same.

I had a can of DM Beef Stew over the weekend and I was thinking the same thing. Looking at the "beef" which resembled crumbly hamburger, I thought to myself; what happened to the chunks of beef they used to have? The flavor wasn't what I remembered it to be either.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The gross amount of Sodium absorbed the beef.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
So it's now Chintzy Dintzy Less canned stew?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dingy used to be good in a pinch but can bought maybe beginning of last winter was meat free! Nothing to do with current times

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
BTW – Here’s that Wendy’s “Where’s the beef” commercial. 30 seconds. Makes me smile. Smile

https://youtu.be/Ug75diEyiA0

Serious about crackers

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I had recently picked up 2 cans. Had one and... kinda wanted to take the other can back. It had just enough meat in it, but I dunno, there was a certain richness missing from it that I remembered.

Today I just made a huge batch of my own beef stew. Getting ready to freeze and seal a bunch of it.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Stew cooks easy and freezes well, in case you are inclined to make your own.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only if you get it on sale. Half of a can is water.

While it isn't saying much, Dinty Moore is - or was - one of the best of the canned beef stews. Lately I've been getting a brand called Hargis House at the local discount grocer. The large can is less than $2. Cheap and makes a turd. Wink

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Lived on DM during my college years in 71.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
BTW – Here’s that Wendy’s “Where’s the beef” commercial. 30 seconds. Makes me smile. Smile

Clara Pella, the little old lady in the classic Wendy's commercial made only two commercials for Wendy's. She became a legend with that commercial. It is timeless.

I've used, "I don't think anybody's back there", numerous times over the years.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
what a disappointment! Only a few tiny pieces of beef and two carrot slices. It would be better described as beef-flavored potato stew.

I get a can of Beef Stew about once or twice a year. I had a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew last Feb it was about the same thing.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Against my better judgement, I picked up a couple of cans of DM. (My usual discount grocer was closed.) Yep, exactly as the OP described. Roll Eyes In the 20-oz. (medium sized) can there were three tiny slivers of meat. I suppose if there's as little as one piece they can call it "beef" stew.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post