SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    There’s only one I in the word ambidextrous. Adding a second one makes you look stupid.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There’s only one I in the word ambidextrous. Adding a second one makes you look stupid. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Guy:
I’ll play.

How about “fitment”?

“The fitment of the barrel and slide...”

No, it’s fit.

Whew.

Don't get me started on this one. It's got to be the worst case of complete misuse of a word. Not only is it used by members of various boards, but I see it often on business websites. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Porsche not porsh Wink Razz

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Nuc-u-lar is high on my list. I heard it yesterday on a news program.

For some reason I remember this from my younger years:

Pictures are "hung", people are "hanged"

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldMick:
Nuc-u-lar is high on my list. I heard it yesterday on a news program.

For some reason I remember this from my younger years:

Pictures are "hung", people are "hanged"

Some people are hung. Some people are even well hung. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
I also hate it when people use bring and take, brought and took, come and go, came and went synonymously. They mean completely different things and speaking/writing them gives an indication to the listener/reader where the one providing the expression is located.

Back to my first post in this thread. If one is going to type "should of" or "could of" instead of should've and could've, why doesn't that same person type would unt instead of wouldn't or could unt instead of couldn't? I'm assuming the slept through only half of the class on the day they taught contractions.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Aluminium

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:

Aluminium
Nothing wrong with that word. If you don't believe me, ask TacFoley!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.” Mark Twain

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
Oh, since we're all on a roll, there is no "x" in either especially or escape.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Or expresso

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Written word is one thing - I can understand the need to spell shit correctly to avoid looking ignorant; but the incorrectly spoken word is different. While it can be annoying, if you know what he's trying to say and then the communication worked, and that's the base purpose of language.

If you're still upset, you can always leave a comment on all the ambidextrious gun part youtube videos.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, here is one that frosts my buttons because I know so many people the say it incorrectly: realtor. NOT relator

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
schizophrenia....not skits-o-friendszia

"Merica"

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Lieberry". No, it's library.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
You gots to be kiddin.

Ambi has a real meaning. It means right handed with both hands. The other one is sinister.

Aluminium is how they spelled it when it was first made. Guess they are the ones who got it wrong? Just ask King Tut.

Now fire up your nucular bulldozier and exscape to the lieberry in Illinois! Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No t in Alzheimer’s..... “alltimers”

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
No t in Alzheimer’s.....

The disease was named after a German doctor, Alois Alzheimer. In German, the letter "Z" is pronounced as "ts". (The closest analog in English would be something like the end of the word "cats".)

While most Americans will pronounce it like "Alls-hi-murr", the true pronunciation is more in line with "Alts-hi-mare".

So while you're correct that "Alltimers" is quite wrong, there is in fact a T (sound) in Alzheimer's. Wink

(Here endeth today's episode of Learnin' German with Rogue. Big Grin)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Now fire up your nucular bulldozier and exscape to the lieberry in Illinois! Wink

Ok, that laugh was a good way to start the day. Thanks. Big Grin

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Carmel is a mountain in Israel or city in CA.
Caramel is a sugary treat.

Mrs.BurtonRW is bothered by ‘perscription’ and ‘comfterble’.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Carmel is a mountain in Israel or city in CA.
Caramel is a sugary treat.

Mrs.BurtonRW is bothered by ‘perscription’ and ‘comfterble’.

-Rob

And at that, Calvary and cavalry are very different things as well.

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post