SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    There’s only one I in the word ambidextrous. Adding a second one makes you look stupid.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There’s only one I in the word ambidextrous. Adding a second one makes you look stupid. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
Chris Costa and Travis Haley were the first people I’d ever heard fuck this word sideways and then, because nobody corrected them while they were trying to look smart, THE ENTIRE GUN COMMUNITY FOLLOWED SUIT. Ambidextrous is the word. There is only one “I” in it. Change my mind.

If you can’t pronounce this word correctly, you look stupid to people who know how it is pronounced. If you’re talking to a stupid person who is impressed with your $20 word, they’ll realize you’re actually stupid when someone else corrects them, and they’ll be less than thrilled that you sold them a $20 word at $5 value. If you pronounce this $20 word correctly to a nitwit with a beard who tries to correct you in front of others in the interest of collecting extra cool points, you can then turn a $20 word into a $50 word by pointing out that there is only one “I” in the word, on a bet. You then collect extra cool points on top of the bet for knowing what the fuck you’re talking about instead of parroting Magpul Beard Dynamics bullshit whilst rapidly snapping your head to and fro, “scanning for threats” at the range.

Yeah, I even worked a “whilst” in there.

Don’t try to sound smart, be smart.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Where are people putting the extra "I" in the word? Ambidextrious?

The one I hear a lot that annoys me is "farmiliar." There is only one "R" in familiar.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, right there.

Boom, first YouTube hit on a search for “ambi safety” and he knocks it out of the park twice in the first 24 seconds of speaking. I stopped there. I could do this all day.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m lazy....I just abbreviate to ambi. Ambi slide release, ambi decock... a friend of mine switches his racquet from one hand to another when playing tennis, I just call him “bi”.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
I’m lazy....I just abbreviate to ambi. Ambi slide release, ambi decock... a friend of mine switches his racquet from one hand to another when playing tennis, I just call him “bi”.

All points awarded. Abbreviations of words commonly understood incurs no penalties. You're doing it correctly, sir.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
Where are people putting the extra "I" in the word? Ambidextrious?

Unfortunately, yes, that's where they're sticking it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not fair. They hide the spelling and pronunciation of these words in books, often red ones.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
How can we hope to get a big word like that right, when we have people trying to communicate who can’t differentiate between “then” and “than”?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good call on the beard thing. I missed the memo on tactical beards. Can someone catch me up?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Great rant. Working in a tacti-cool beard tie-in is a nice touch. Smile

If I might jump on the bandwagon, I'd like to include my current language irritation.

I'm tired of all non-rhotic variants of the English language. If the "r" is there, pronounce it. This includes all the hoity-toity inhabitants of middle-eastern England and their R-P variant of the language.

I'm especially looking at you, Boston.

If I HAD to pick a single irritating word, it is the plural of octopus. It is octopuses, not octopi. It's Greek, not Latin.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Dumb, yes. But, "nucular" is still champ.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
So octopi have eight ambidextrious arms? Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Great rant. Working in a tacti-cool beard tie-in is a nice touch. Smile

If I might jump on the bandwagon, I'd like to include my current language irritation.

I'm tired of all non-rhotic variants of the English language. If the "r" is there, pronounce it. This includes all the hoity-toity inhabitants of middle-eastern England and their R-P variant of the language.

I'm especially looking at you, Boston.

If I HAD to pick a single irritating word, it is the plural of octopus. It is octopuses, not octopi. It's Greek, not Latin.

Regional accents don't bother me. Some fall more musically on my ears than others, but I can't criticise those with an accent.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
Holy crap! I love this thread. I'm not alone. Two of my favorites are contained in this thread already. "Nucular" and interchangeable use of "then and than".

"To" and "too" are not synonymous. "Exspecially" is not a word. "Supposeably" is not a word.

How can you go through your whole life speaking the contractions for "should have" and "would have" and think you've been saying "should of" and "could of"?

I could go on and on. Since it is kind of rude to be a word use/grammar nazi on forums, we should do one of these each month. Yes, a new thread, not just an ongoing thread.

I have always loved the "What's Your Deal!" section of the forum.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
Here's one of my pronunciation pet peeves;

dropping an "e" and saying "vetran", when meaning "veteran".

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I hear "par-ti-cu-lar-ily" far too much.

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confinscate.
Center counsel.

The pervasive incorrect use of reflexive pronouns (myself, yourself, etc.)

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You know that company that makes chainsaws and other stuff. It's named after a town in Sweden.

Husqvarna. Three syllables. husk-varn-a

NOT husk-a-varn-a

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Someone is being mischievious if they are adding extra i's where they don't belong.

Posts: 15 | Registered: January 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll play.

How about “fitment”?

“The fitment of the barrel and slide...”

No, it’s fit.

Whew.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post