SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How to keep the dog from constantly being under your feet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to keep the dog from constantly being under your feet Login/Join 
posted
Im at my wits end with the dog being under my feet. Its a 20 pounder so its easy to miss.

A while ago I was emptying the dishwasher and almost dropped a knife on the damn dog. I cant even walk down the steps without a dog touching me. Try to open the dishwasher, guess what, damn dog is in the way. The dog gets kicked several times a day. You think it would learn by now.

Dont start with the mans best friend crap. When I try to call the dog over it will ignore me.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I try to call the dog over it will ignore me.

Did you try just standing up? Razz

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

A little facetious, but not entirely. You, or a professional, need to give that dog some obedience training.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pick it up and carry it?

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Get a cat Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Get a cat Big Grin

Ha! Out new dumped on us kitten did that. Caused the wife to fall at least once and nearly tripped her daily, bad enough that she threatened to get rid of it.

After observing wife I noticed she would make awkward and unpredictable moves attempting to dance around and avoid stepping on the cat. I told her to try just walking normally and not make any effort to avoid her. Basically just ignore her. After having her paws stepped on a few times and kicked a few times she now mostly gives a people a little space.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a cat Big Grin

Who was it that said "a dog under 30 pounds is a cat anyway?" Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Walk on your hands.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems that my dog learned quickly that under foot is no place to be. A strong correction while physically moving them out of the way will probably clue Them in.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Ours will stay 2' behind and about a foot to my wife's left side. She's blind and has mashed the poor dog enough times he finally learned to stay the hell back behind her, it's the only safe place. He keeps his eye on her too, if she moves he's up and getting the hell behind her.

He doesn't treat me that way. He knows she has a problem that I don't have.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a cat Big Grin
You know what they call a man with 1 cat, right?

A woman! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do you give it any food or snacks other than 2 set meals?

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Also, consider getting a physical exam on your pup and rule out any medical concerns. Anxiety or loss of sight could be a possibility, but some dogs are just naturally wired to be glued to your hip (which goes back to you training how far off your hip you want it). I had a dobe once briefly that always liked to cut me off, wherever I was going. Hardwired.
How long have you had this dog/been dealing with this?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cant even walk down the steps without a dog touching me.

This could be dangerous.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
To the OP:

1: What kind of dog is it? My Cocker was the same way, he just wanted to be loved...all the time.

2: Again lessons learned from the cocker, if I didn’t drop so much food while I cooked, or gave the dog snacks from time to time, the dog would probably not always be underfoot.

At the end of the day, nearly everything a dog does or does not do....is a learned behavior.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when I was a little kid my Grandma would pull 2 pots out from under the cabinet and crash them together like cymbals when the dog would get under foot while she was cooking.

I remember it being effective for at least the remainder of the day Big Grin

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a “Velcro dog.”

Also, learn to shuffle. I kid you not. My boy herds me when I head for the kitchen. He’s then always underfoot. Why? He scores foot off of me. Check what rewards he’s getting by being underfoot.

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Ho...owing-You-Everywhere
https://www.puppyleaks.com/dog-velcro-dog/
https://iheartdogs.com/10-dog-...everywhere-with-you/
https://holidaybarn.com/charac...ics-of-a-clingy-dog/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We trained ours to go to a rug just outside the kitchen and lay down. Our older dog stays out of the way, but our new pup is always right there with his head in the trashcan or dishwasher. It takes some time, but every time he would break the plane of the kitchen, we'd just herd him back to the rug and say "go lay down", once we got to the rug, we have him lay down (he already knew the command "settle") and we'd reward him with some kibble.

It will take you a very long time to get stuff done while training, but remember that you are training the dog, not just doing whatever task is at hand.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Training. Any of a number of books can help with general obedience training.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I have a small Schnauzer and a small mutt of sorts. They do the same. I've spent a couple of days in the hospital from trying to maneuver around these two. All I did was miss them too lol

I'f its just me, its really bad. When my wife is home, not so much. If its really bad, I will just give them both a treat and kennel them for a bit.

Some dogs just have really bad separation anxiety. Mine do too.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post