SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A whiny, difficult buyer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A whiny, difficult buyer Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
First of all, this did NOT occur on this forum, so none of this is about any members here (unless maybe they're ALSO a member here...)

I listed a handgun for sale, and the add specifically stated that the buyer would pay the actual shipping cost via shipmygun, which is the only way I will ship firearms now due to the various legalities throughout the country. I had a guy contact me asking if he could get it for the asking price less shipping. I made him a deal that we would split the shipping cost ($45). He paid me the listing price plus $22 and I asked for which FFL he preferred. This is where things went downhill...

1. Logged into shipmygun and the guys FFL wasnt listed. I took a screenshot of the available FFLs and sent it to him and told him to either pick somewhere else, or follow the steps to have his FFL listed. I told him it would just be easiest and quickest to pick a different FFL, but he was insistent.

2. He then asked me why I used that service. I told him that their rates were lower and it alleviated the liability of shipping a firearms across the US to a stranger, and he countered that I could do it myself by buying a label from UPS or FEDEX, and asked me if I could look up rates. I humored him and did so, and they all came up around $75 or greater.

3. He then offered to purchase a label himself and send it to me to stick on the box, and I could refund him the shipping fee he paid. I told him there was no way it would be cheaper on his end, but he tried anyway. The next day he came back and said that he would just go through the process of having his FFL listed and he said he submitted the paperwork necessary. He did this on a Friday and they told him it would take 2 days to get listed.

4. He then decided he didn't want to wait on the listing, and would pick a different FFL. I said fine, and went ahead and purchased the label for his alternate FFL. Again, this happened on a Friday.

5. Saturday he contacts me and asks if I have the label yet. I tell him no, it usually takes 24 hours, but since he didn't tell me until after hours Friday, I didn't expect the label until Monday. He then logs into shipmygun to see if they listed his original FFL, and they havent yet (again, since its the weekend). He emails me complaining about the service and saying he will never use them.

6. Today, the label shows up, and I send him a copy so he can track it. Shipmygun has a contract with UPS that lets them use ground shipping for firearms, which is an exception to policy for UPS. He freaks out that its going ground instead of 2-day air, and says "I thought this was a professional service! I cant believe they're using ground, they should know better!" I send him a copy of the policy that gives them an exception, and he responds that he doesn't have time to wait around for ground shipping because hes going out of town soon, and he cannot believe how long the process has taken. He goes on for a few more sentences complaining about the process.

This guy knew the terms of the sale, I openly stated I was using the service, he waffled back and forth for days, changed his mind numerous times, and disregarded my advice to just pick a different FFL in his area, then complained to me multiple times about how much he hated everything he agreed to.

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
There are some people so miserable that if you gave them the gun for free they would complain about having to go pick it up or having to clean it or having to buy ammo for it.

Some people are just plain miserable in life.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Some people are too fucking stupid to realize their problems were all created by the dumb ass in the mirror. Your buyer appears to be one of those such imbeciles.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Some people are too fucking stupid to realize their problems were all created by the dumb ass in the mirror. Your buyer appears to be one of those such imbeciles.

YUP, sit back and chuckle at him and his new gun will get there when it gets there!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
After all that I’d be wary of selling to this chucklehead.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My advice to you, is to not let people waste your time when you are selling a gun. There are endless tire kickers, wafflers, and chiselers.

State your terms. Don't be in a hurry. Sell to the person who meets your terms.

How much is your time worth?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I would have said sayonara right after step #1. Really hate it when these morons waste your time.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will I get it tomorrow or not? Big Grin

If you work retail for any length of time at all, one thing you learn is you can NOT please everyone. Don't even try, you'll wear yourself down until there's nothing left of your sole. Wink

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I would not be the least surprised that your buyer decides he's not happy with the gun once he receives it and starts complaining he wants to send it back (and that you should cover the cost to do so).

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I would not be the least surprised that your buyer decides he's not happy with the gun once he receives it and starts complaining he wants to send it back (and that you should cover the cost to do so).

After he uses it on his hunting trip.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

I was just thinking the same thing. I hope I’m wrong.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try selling a motorcycle. I've had drunks demanding a test ride, people offering 200 for a 3000 dollar bike, people climbing on the WRONG BIKE in my driveway, etc. My deal now is meet my terms or take a hike. And I never list anything from my home anymore.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I would have politely told him that I use shipmygun. Don’t like it, fine, sale rescinded.
I would have re-listed the gun for sale again.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two percent of the people cause 98 percent of the trouble. This guy is solidly in the two percent category.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude was definitely a problem buyer. You showed remarkable patience no doubt.

I was buying a pistol last summer, paid asking $ + shipping no sweat, USPS money order got there within 3 days. My dealer's FFL was sent to his dealer immediately by email.

9 days elapse after payment arrived.....9.....with seller holding funds & FFL, responds to my query. "Oh, my guy never received the license." Mad

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1926 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
Well, it happened...not only did he email me complaining about the delivery date again, but he actually called me and accused me of lying to him about the dates and process. Instead of calling him back I contacted UPS, issued a return to sender to bring it back to me, and refunded everything he paid me. I am more than happy that thus guy is now not getting what he wanted, and I don’t mind being out the shipping cost.

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I hope UPS does their part. Good luck Sir

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I hope UPS does their part. Good luck Sir

I might've waited until UPS sent me the item back.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
My advice to you, is to not let people waste your time when you are selling a gun. There are endless tire kickers, wafflers, and chiselers.

State your terms. Don't be in a hurry. Sell to the person who meets your terms.

How much is your time worth?
Yes indeed.

It doesn't take much for me to write someone off, add in the passive - aggressive fools and sometimes I just put off selling for awhile until I try again.

I even had one dude off $200 down, take the pistol, and then make payments of $100 a month. Really? Some emails I just don't respond to.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Well, it happened...not only did he email me complaining about the delivery date again, but he actually called me and accused me of lying to him about the dates and process. Instead of calling him back I contacted UPS, issued a return to sender to bring it back to me, and refunded everything he paid me. I am more than happy that thus guy is now not getting what he wanted, and I don’t mind being out the shipping cost.

I didn't know you could have UPS bring something back.

I'll be interested to hear the other guys reaction when he learns his poor attitude killed the deal.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post