First of all, this did NOT occur on this forum, so none of this is about any members here (unless maybe they're ALSO a member here...)
I listed a handgun for sale, and the add specifically stated that the buyer would pay the actual shipping cost via shipmygun, which is the only way I will ship firearms now due to the various legalities throughout the country. I had a guy contact me asking if he could get it for the asking price less shipping. I made him a deal that we would split the shipping cost ($45). He paid me the listing price plus $22 and I asked for which FFL he preferred. This is where things went downhill...
1. Logged into shipmygun and the guys FFL wasnt listed. I took a screenshot of the available FFLs and sent it to him and told him to either pick somewhere else, or follow the steps to have his FFL listed. I told him it would just be easiest and quickest to pick a different FFL, but he was insistent.
2. He then asked me why I used that service. I told him that their rates were lower and it alleviated the liability of shipping a firearms across the US to a stranger, and he countered that I could do it myself by buying a label from UPS or FEDEX, and asked me if I could look up rates. I humored him and did so, and they all came up around $75 or greater.
3. He then offered to purchase a label himself and send it to me to stick on the box, and I could refund him the shipping fee he paid. I told him there was no way it would be cheaper on his end, but he tried anyway. The next day he came back and said that he would just go through the process of having his FFL listed and he said he submitted the paperwork necessary. He did this on a Friday and they told him it would take 2 days to get listed.
4. He then decided he didn't want to wait on the listing, and would pick a different FFL. I said fine, and went ahead and purchased the label for his alternate FFL. Again, this happened on a Friday.
5. Saturday he contacts me and asks if I have the label yet. I tell him no, it usually takes 24 hours, but since he didn't tell me until after hours Friday, I didn't expect the label until Monday. He then logs into shipmygun to see if they listed his original FFL, and they havent yet (again, since its the weekend). He emails me complaining about the service and saying he will never use them.
6. Today, the label shows up, and I send him a copy so he can track it. Shipmygun has a contract with UPS that lets them use ground shipping for firearms, which is an exception to policy for UPS. He freaks out that its going ground instead of 2-day air, and says "I thought this was a professional service! I cant believe they're using ground, they should know better!" I send him a copy of the policy that gives them an exception, and he responds that he doesn't have time to wait around for ground shipping because hes going out of town soon, and he cannot believe how long the process has taken. He goes on for a few more sentences complaining about the process.
This guy knew the terms of the sale, I openly stated I was using the service, he waffled back and forth for days, changed his mind numerous times, and disregarded my advice to just pick a different FFL in his area, then complained to me multiple times about how much he hated everything he agreed to.
|I Am The Walrus|
There are some people so miserable that if you gave them the gun for free they would complain about having to go pick it up or having to clean it or having to buy ammo for it.
Some people are just plain miserable in life.
|Drill Here, Drill Now|
Some people are too fucking stupid to realize their problems were all created by the dumb ass in the mirror. Your buyer appears to be one of those such imbeciles.
Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity
DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
YUP, sit back and chuckle at him and his new gun will get there when it gets there!
After all that I’d be wary of selling to this chucklehead.
My advice to you, is to not let people waste your time when you are selling a gun. There are endless tire kickers, wafflers, and chiselers.
State your terms. Don't be in a hurry. Sell to the person who meets your terms.
How much is your time worth?
"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash
"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman
Rode hard, put away wet. RIP JHM
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP
Will I get it tomorrow or not?
If you work retail for any length of time at all, one thing you learn is you can NOT please everyone. Don't even try, you'll wear yourself down until there's nothing left of your sole.
I would not be the least surprised that your buyer decides he's not happy with the gun once he receives it and starts complaining he wants to send it back (and that you should cover the cost to do so).
NRA Endowment Life Member; ISRA Member
“The Left want to be our shepherds. But that requires us to be sheep.” ― Thomas Sowell
|Not really from Vienna|
After he uses it on his hunting trip.
I was just thinking the same thing. I hope I’m wrong.
Try selling a motorcycle. I've had drunks demanding a test ride, people offering 200 for a 3000 dollar bike, people climbing on the WRONG BIKE in my driveway, etc. My deal now is meet my terms or take a hike. And I never list anything from my home anymore.
I would have politely told him that I use shipmygun. Don’t like it, fine, sale rescinded.
I would have re-listed the gun for sale again.
The “lol” thread
Two percent of the people cause 98 percent of the trouble. This guy is solidly in the two percent category.
Dude was definitely a problem buyer. You showed remarkable patience no doubt.
I was buying a pistol last summer, paid asking $ + shipping no sweat, USPS money order got there within 3 days. My dealer's FFL was sent to his dealer immediately by email.
9 days elapse after payment arrived.....9.....with seller holding funds & FFL, responds to my query. "Oh, my guy never received the license."
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave
Well, it happened...not only did he email me complaining about the delivery date again, but he actually called me and accused me of lying to him about the dates and process. Instead of calling him back I contacted UPS, issued a return to sender to bring it back to me, and refunded everything he paid me. I am more than happy that thus guy is now not getting what he wanted, and I don’t mind being out the shipping cost.
|No, not like |
I hope UPS does their part. Good luck Sir
“I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.”
|The Unmanned Writer|
I might've waited until UPS sent me the item back.
Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.
|Go ahead punk, make my day|
It doesn't take much for me to write someone off, add in the passive - aggressive fools and sometimes I just put off selling for awhile until I try again.
I even had one dude off $200 down, take the pistol, and then make payments of $100 a month. Really? Some emails I just don't respond to.
I didn't know you could have UPS bring something back.
I'll be interested to hear the other guys reaction when he learns his poor attitude killed the deal.
Speak softly and carry a
|Powered by Social Strata||Page 1 2|