SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Automobile shopping...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automobile shopping... Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
.... We decided to go look, and they had nothing on the lot. This is not a small dealer, usually 300+ vehicles in the lot. I was specifically looking for a 4Runner. They had nothing on the lot. I have a friend who works at a GMC dealer in another state, and they are going through the same thing. No vehicles....

I drive by a Subaru dealer a couple times a week and have noticed the same thing, very low on inventory.

Interestingly my sister bought a new Corolla Hybrid after relocating to MD but kept her 2019 Crosstrek here, She just called and asked if I'd sell the Crosstrek for her. I was surprised when I looked up NADA on a Crosstrek Limited with 29K. Clean trade-in is $26,500, clean retail is $28,700. Hell she only paid $27,700 for it new 2 1/2 years ago! I'm trying to decide how much to ask? I may see what Carmax will pay.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
A dealership with only 50% inventory (or 0% of the desirable cars) still needs to pay their fixed costs plus, in some states, they still need to pay the salesmen their hourly rate - or lay them off.

There's going to be either a snowball effect or, Biden will print more money (which still results in a snowball effect).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
A friend who owns a Ford dealership said the shortage has produced a record profit for him for 2020. Inventory is short which enables higher margin, and also his floor plan which was around $25,000 per month is only $12,000 now.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I visited with a friend who is a manager at one of our local dealerships. He said they expect to be out of new inventory in the next 30 days. Scary.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
A friend who owns a Ford dealership said the shortage has produced a record profit for him for 2020. Inventory is short which enables higher margin, and also his floor plan which was around $25,000 per month is only $12,000 now.

Yeah but now it's beginning to have the opposite effect as they don't have the inventory they need to sell, so can't make some sales.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A Kia Telluride SX for $10,000 over list. I don’t think so. I offered list and they said the same. Smile I’m in no hurry.

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
.... Hell she only paid $27,700 for it new 2 1/2 years ago! I'm trying to decide how much to ask? I may see what Carmax will pay.

I was wrong she has her receipt, she only paid $26,700 for it! CarMax offer is $26,200 so that's where it's going.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The KIA dealer texted my wife on Saturday with "good news”. They would sell her the vehicle for $300 more than they would have on Thursday. My wife was like ????WTF???? They’re going the wrong way, so she said no of course.

Then they called yesterday, said they would take our offer and I now have yet another car buying story to tell people. The time I made a full price offer including the BS fees and was turned down only to be called twice in three days before they accepted my generous offer. Third time I’ve walked out of a dealership and third time the dealership has called me back.

Posts: 10936 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've read of guys paying up to $30k over MSRP for the new C8 Corvette.

Then some guys who had put money on one are just flipping them for $20k over what they paid.

It's insane.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017 Subaru Forester XT Touring with 21 k on it, and a 2018 WRX Limited with 7k. I think I will sit tight.

Posts: 4015 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Then some guys who had put money on one are just flipping them for $20k over what they paid.

It's insane.

We are selling at MSRP as promised but yes, that $70k vette is brining $100k elsewhere

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Luckily I’m not in the market for anything with an engine. Even the 12+ year old Cub Cadet is running fine.

Well, I have given just a bit of thought to an electric chainsaw, for smallish jobs. A guy at work was raving about his Battery powered Stihl, and he’s a farmer of sorts.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Raw material prices and other factors causing the home building prices will do the same to other products.
Add in the low interest rates and "free money" floating around and there you have it.
Just like with homes selling so high and people thinking they are making money, unless you are not going to replace the item, your just trading paper at best.

Posts: 9504 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

It's insane.

We are selling at MSRP as promised but yes, that $70k vette is brining $100k elsewhere

SIL's dealership is selling them at $30 over, and no haggle, pay or walk, everyone sells without a problem.

Posts: 23431 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The KIA dealer texted my wife on Saturday with "good news”. They would sell her the vehicle for $300 more than they would have on Thursday. My wife was like ????WTF???? They’re going the wrong way, so she said no of course.

Then they called yesterday, said they would take our offer and I now have yet another car buying story to tell people. The time I made a full price offer including the BS fees and was turned down only to be called twice in three days before they accepted my generous offer. Third time I’ve walked out of a dealership and third time the dealership has called me back.

My wife wants a new car and the Telluride SX might fit the bill. I called the local dealer and they were at MSRP but a 6-8 month wait. They, also, will not take orders from folks not in their service area. I need to see one and there are none available. I would have to drive to Las Vegas or SLC just sit in one.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We looked at one at the closest dealer and went back to buy it the next day, but they sold it. This one was at the next closest dealer, has the tow package and prestige package, but even my wife agreed we were not going to pay over MSRP.

We ordered an Explorer ST for under list and we’ll get whatever rebates are available when it comes in in 3-6 months. We were a little surprised when the KIA dealer accepted our offer. In true gun forum fashion, ie buy both, we haven’t cancelled the Explorer.