SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    N. TX, a run on gasoline, panicking idiots
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

N. TX, a run on gasoline, panicking idiots Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Same after Katrina and Sandy. the problem is that many stations don't have generators themselves.
That was an sad statistic I saw during Ike - the news reported several times on how many million gallons of gasoline was stranded at gas stations without generators.

I haven't been following the news very close the past few days so maybe I missed the reports on Harvey.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Been through it several times here. It gets wet or windy in that region and no gas. (Being facetious I don't mean to belittle the hardship of the thousands of folks dealing with this shit). At any rate as soon as I hear that a hurricane or tropical storm is due to hit that region, all cars are topped off and we go into a bit of a rationing situation, use one car mostly keep one in backup etc.

My parents were out of town and first thing I did was fill there cars because I knew they would come back to this.

It sucks and I never experienced this till moving south. Ok I VAGUELY remember the gas lines as a LITTLE KID.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
More insanity......people are driving around like thugs.....or like xmas eve and they just remembered to buy products. I had a lady do a u turn right in front of me on a one way street and start driving right at me. I flashed my lights, she slowed. She moves over to avoid collision and comes to a stop. I roll down the window and yell "It's a ONE WAY STREET LADY YOU ARE GOING TO KILL SOMEBODY!"

My friend and mechanic, his good friend is on dialysis and couldn't get to the dialysis center, no fuel. My friend had to go hunt down some fuel, fill up a 5 gallon jug, then drive to his house, and put that fuel in his van (disabled person van) just so he could go get his medical treatment, a requirement for staying alive. Meanwhile ass holes have 1/2 or 3/4 tanks and are topping off everyday, glutting the fuel up. He told me that tonight, that Tony couldn't get to dialysis treatment without severe intervention.

Fun times.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/2ccAx792uoI

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/GBmSjNqXsSM

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I'll be at home all holiday weekend not using any fuel.

I'm with ya. I had plans to go see a friend today, about a 2-hour drive. We're just going to have to wait a few weeks to see each other. There's no sense in burning 250 miles' worth of fuel unnecessarily right now. ($2.47/gallon when I filled up yesterday after work.)

quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Same after Katrina and Sandy. the problem is that many stations don't have generators themselves.

In 2012 a nasty storm ripped through the area. I was on my way to Michigan. Somewhere in WV, I was at about 1/2 tank and thought I should stop and refuel. But I procrastinated, and 30 minutes later got caught in the storm. ONE station in the area had generators, and I sat in line for almost two hours trying to get to the pumps. Couldn't pay at the pumps (no communications), and inside the store it was an absolute nuthouse.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Johnny Carson was so clairvoyant when, in a 1973 monologue, he reported an imminent, massive toilet paper shortage on the Tonight Show.

He was right.

Mike

(I Miss Him)

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If it makes you guys feel any better, I paid $2.75 last night at Safeway Eek

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how has the left not yet said that this is somehow Trump's fault? Or are natural disasters exempt?

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends is a fuel tanker driver here in OKC. This last week he's been bringing fuel from OKC to the DFW area. Normally that's just completely unheard of.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Meanwhile ass holes have 1/2 or 3/4 tanks and are topping off everyday, glutting the fuel up. He told me that tonight, that Tony couldn't get to dialysis treatment without severe intervention.

I think it's smart to top up every day. You just demonstrated the wisdom in keeping your vehicles full when you KNOW a shortage of gas is coming. I would top off both my vehicles, and fill up every gas can I have. No offense intended, but I think the guy on dialysis was foolish to let his vehicle run empty when, as you stated, you know a shortage is imminent and his very life depends on his ability to travel (my father was on dialysis in his last years, so I understand the urgency).

Now, the REAL a-holes are the ones that are filling up water bottles and trash cans with gas in hopes of selling it to desperate people at $20/gallon or more. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
News media drives these panics, makes things worse in the face of any actual shortages. The news media needs to stop treating these weather events as ratings bonanzas and try to exercise journalistic responsibility. Yeah, that ain't happenin'. Disgusting people, they have no clue as to what they're doing to make things worse (and wouldn't give a shit if they did) and no clue about the true nature of their jobs. Really, disgusting exasperating behavior. They won't listen to anyone because they think they know everything, and they think the public believes this about them, too. They actually think we look up to them, believe them, admire them and are envious of them

Selfish and genuinely stupid people.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
News media drives these panics, makes things worse in the face of any actual shortages. The news media needs to stop treating these weather events as ratings bonanzas and try to exercise journalistic responsibility. Yeah, that ain't happenin'. Disgusting people, they have no clue as to what they're doing to make things worse (and wouldn't give a shit if they did) and no clue about the true nature of their jobs. Really, disgusting exasperating behavior. They won't listen to anyone because they think they know everything, and they think the public believes this about them, too. They actually think we look up to them, believe them, admire them and are envious of them

Selfish and genuinely stupid people.

100% spot on. I saw it in the span of 10 hours; a news story about possible gas shortages due to holiday weekend traffic running on the morning news, and by the evening, the same reported doing a story that essentially started out with "OMG, what's happening, why are people panicking...?" It's because of you you fool. Thanks for inciting a panic where none existed before...

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm down to watching Fox Business Channel.

All others are the same as Hollywood Insider or Entertainment Tonight, trashy. Truly sad.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Meanwhile ass holes have 1/2 or 3/4 tanks and are topping off everyday, glutting the fuel up. He told me that tonight, that Tony couldn't get to dialysis treatment without severe intervention.

I think it's smart to top up every day. You just demonstrated the wisdom in keeping your vehicles full when you KNOW a shortage of gas is coming. I would top off both my vehicles, and fill up every gas can I have. No offense intended, but I think the guy on dialysis was foolish to let his vehicle run empty when, as you stated, you know a shortage is imminent and his very life depends on his ability to travel (my father was on dialysis in his last years, so I understand the urgency).

Now, the REAL a-holes are the ones that are filling up water bottles and trash cans with gas in hopes of selling it to desperate people at $20/gallon or more. . .

Negative. Sorry.

Tony drove around until he was on E looking for fuel and stopped for fear of being a disabled person in a disabled person's van disabled on the side of the road. People topping up every day is why there are shortages. Don't try to justify it to me.
This is a people problem.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Gas everywhere now. DFW panic buyers = idiots!

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gas everywhere now. DFW panic buyers = idiots Me First, Greedy Assholes

Fixed it for you.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute . Driving around looking for gas until you nearly run out ? Did he start with a full tank ? Obviously not . Ding , ding , ding ...

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
Gas everywhere now. DFW panic buyers = idiots Me First, Greedy Assholes

Fixed it for you.

Agreed. The level of narcissism told me a lot about our metro.