SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    SSA and their raise's?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SSA and their raise's? Login/Join 
Picture of SIG 229R
posted
Got notified sometime in mid November I think thatI was getting a (I believe they said 2% raise) just got my first SSA SSA deposit to my account and guess what it is identical to what it was last year. Where is the raise? It ain't in my checking account. Wonder if it went in someones pocket?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aren't SS payments in arrears, i.e. January's payment is actually for the month of December?

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they may deposit Jan's payment in Feb. If I recall the first payment was made in the following month. I assume that sometime in history a Democratic congress saved money by sliding payments for new SSA recipients. The same action as IRS requiring self-employed individuals to pay taxes a month ahead in June & September for July & October earnings.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The 2% raise was offset by the increase in the Medicare deduction.

AFAIK, everybody "broke even".

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15204 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

In past years, this was the case. This year, I actually came out ahead. After the COLA, and a Medicare bump from $110 -> $134, I am getting $5.90 more per month "take home" for 2018.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the ol' bait & switch!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You should be able to check your statement for the coming year which arrived about a month ago. Mine went up by $6 whole inflated dollars. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Bingo. I had figured my wife's "raise" (I'm not on SS yet). And my sister told me that the Medicare payments were increasing. Damn!

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I "got" a $7 raise, Medicare went up $7. I broke even. A friend "got" a $13 raise, his Medicare went up $13. He broke even. Everybody I have talked to has had the same results...A raise but no raise.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
What are you guys gonna do with this year’s windfall?

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
What are you guys gonna do with this year’s windfall?
I've had my eye on a Lamborghini.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Watch out, we got some big spenders up in here.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My Medicare has been 134.00 for a year now. Haven’t gotten raise yet.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post