SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    UK Toll Enforcement- I know how I am responding how would you?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UK Toll Enforcement- I know how I am responding how would you? Login/Join 
posted
We went to the UK this past summer, and went from the south to a small village in the Ipswich area to visit my wife's 94 year old grandmother.

Along the way, we crossed over the Dartford crossing. Expecting the toll, we had the GBP 2.50 in our hands. We hit the customary traffic, and then saw the toll was no longer collected by hand- it was collected on their website. They give you until midnight the next day to pay it.

I paid it on the 3rd day, as I had no internet until then- it was the first thing we did when we checked into the hotel. I have the receipt for it.

Because it was late, the toll ran my plates with the rental agency, and they charged me GBP 40 for that privilege.

I have documented everything, and run through the appeal process with the toll authority 2 times already. I have not received written notice from them on my appeal. Instead, I have received a collections note from Euro Parking Collection Plc stating I now owe $146.63 USD for a GBP 2.50 toll.

Also to note, there was no way to pay the late fee at the time I paid the toll.

It is really aggravating. I do go back to the south of the UK from time to time, and don't really want to have a summons on arrival. Then there is the principal of the matter.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't help, but many bridges in the US are doing away with booths. Golden Gate in San Francisco is one, the bridge from the Philadelphia Airport to NJ is another. I'm sure there are many more.

Paging Tac Foley, paging Tac Foley.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you may be out of luck, everything is automated these days so it's impossible to get through so you can actually speak with a person to resolve the matter. The automated system probably sends out late payment notices and fines regardless the status of your appeal. "If" your appeal goes through there's probably a mechanism for the bridge authority to suspend/cancel the late payment/fines.

I'd guess you're likely going to pay more than the original toll. I wouldn't pay 146 bucks I just would never go back to the UK but only you can decide if fighting for principles is enough to keep you from ever returning to the UK.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Went driving the last two months. In several states, i had to shell out cash to toll keepers, one time there was no toll keeper, good thing I had coins.

The most efficient state was MA where they take pictures of your license plate if you don't have their radio gizmo and they send you a bill. I was able to pay online.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah it is a pain. At every point of contact I have responded, but received nothing back from them other than attempts to collect.

I have called, followed their online process etc.

I think the odds of it impacting me flying over for work or social are low, and so I am going to keep responding with my disputing and they can pound sand as far as getting money out of me. I am not in their jurisdiction, and they cannot summons me while I am abroad. they can sell the ticket to a collection agency, but that would, I am guessing, release it from the government side of things.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Sounds like taxation without representation...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d write a letter to the Queen. She’d probably be glad to help straighten this out.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the odds of it impacting me flying over for work or social are low, and so I am going to keep responding with my disputing and they can pound sand as far as getting money out of me.

Sounds like the opening scene for Jason Bourne Part VII. Big Grin

Watch out for black SUVs with machine guns sticking out the windows.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Years ago I got a parking ticket with a rental, near or in San Francisco. I just threw it in the trash.

Nowadays they have more ways to track you down, and keep adding fees & penalties. At some point may as well just pay it off.

Posts: 6131 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
I think the odds of it impacting me flying over for work or social are low, and so I am going to keep responding with my disputing and they can pound sand as far as getting money out of me.

Sounds like the opening scene for Jason Bourne Part VII. Big Grin

Watch out for black SUVs with machine guns sticking out the windows.

My Italian father emigrated to the US in 1947 when he was 17.
In the 60's he went to Rome on business and back in those days you had to give your passport to the front desk when you checked in.
About 2 am one morning there was a lot of banging on the door. When he opened it there were several Italian National police there who arrested him for failing to register for the military.
It took the State Department several days to get him out of jail...
He did go back and never had any further issue...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
My brother, SIL, wife, and I went to Germany a couple of months ago. I rented a car, and my brother and I shared driving duties. A couple of weeks after we got back, I got an email from the rental car company saying we had gotten a speeding ticket, and they had informed the Polizei of my contact info. I eventually got a ticket from the local jurisdiction for 15 Euros, but the administrative fee from the rental company was 25 Euros. Fortunately, it was issued on a day when my brother was driving, so he ponied up for the ticket and admin fee.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’d write a letter to the Queen. She’d probably be glad to help straighten this out.

I had the same thought. Not to write the Queen, but maybe the UK tourist office. I'd tell your story and end with: This is a great way to discourage tourism to the UK.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted December 06, 2018 08:46 PM Hide Post

Good idea, but she is kind of busy. How about Prince Charles? I am sure he could squeeze in some time when he is not feeding his favorite squirrels.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you rented the car on a credit card, contact them. They may be able to help.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Pay

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Pay

I still have an outstanding bill of €100 in Italy. My Italian friends say to pay it or I cannot rent a car again. The polizia gave me a website so I could see the picture of me committing the offense in Pisa. No picture.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:

Along the way, we crossed over the Dartford crossing. Expecting the toll, we had the GBP 2.50 in our hands. We hit the customary traffic, and then saw the toll was no longer collected by hand- it was collected on their website. They give you until midnight the next day to pay it.

I paid it on the 3rd day, as I had no internet until then- it was the first thing we did when we checked into the hotel. I have the receipt for it.

Because it was late, the toll ran my plates with the rental agency, and they charged me GBP 40 for that privilege.

Pay the toll and fees ... it is YOUR responsibility to pay it by midnight the next day - regardless of whether or not you had internet access. That's YOUR problem, not thiers.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
The French said fuck it. Yellow vests are painting over the traffic radar cameras. They recognize the devices for what they are. Tax collection devices.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
posted December 06, 2018 08:46 PM Hide Post

Good idea, but she is kind of busy. How about Prince Charles? I am sure he could squeeze in some time when he is not feeding his favorite squirrels.

"Dear Prince Charles,
you goofy fucker..."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post